Strange smell after setting up plug in unit.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epi117

We live in a home build in 1982, we had an electrician come in and install a plug in 240 v receptacle in the garage right next to panel, he removed an old dryer plug that hasn't been used since before we moved in 10 plus years ago. Tested it and said we were good to go.

We got out AeroVironment plug in unit today. I mounted it, plugged it in , turned on circuit breaker and it lit up perfectly. I plugged in our 2013 leaf and left it charging.

Came back an hour later and noticed a strange smell, kinda like burning or over heating wire smell. I unplugged unit, and disconnected power cord, left to go pick up wife and came back an hour later and could still notice the smell.

Called the electrician and left message to have him check it out.

Would you do anything else?

Should be #8 wire and 40 amp breaker.... have you checked? Dryer is usually #10 wire and 30a breaker.
Otherwise could be a connection somewhere was not tightened enough.

You did the right thing. I wouldn't try to use the unit or circuit again until everything is checked out.

Did you use your sniffer to try and locate the source of the smoke? It is either the AV unit, the OBC, or the wire your electrician installed. Being that close to the panel unless he is an unlicensed Jack(arse) of all trades you should have been good.

I'd just add that, for others with similar experiences in the future, after you turn off the breaker, checking the charge path through the outlet, plug and the EVESE for any unusual heat, might give you a better indication of the problem than the smell did.

On a similar note, I may be a little paranoid, but whenever I charge on an outlet or circuit that has never been used, such as an electric dryer outlet at a friends house, I always try to hang around for a while and make sure nothing strange is happening.

If my 16 Amp EVSE were to reveal a hidden fault in my friend's wiring, like a loose or corroded connection I'd like to be there to notice it, and (maybe) prevent a serious problem.

One thing you might have the electrician check since he's there, is to look past the junction box into the wall space. If there was any problem with the dryer venting, lint could have accumulated in the wall space. There still has to be overheated wiring to set it off, but lint is a lot easier to ignite than a wall stud. Friends of ours once had an apartment fire started this way.

Side note: Dryer lint is so easy to ignite that I always made it a point to carry a large wad of it as fire-starter when camping in the Boy Scouts / Civil Air Patrol... I'd save it up for weeks before a trip.

well he came back, checked everything, moved the box a tad closer to unit and checked for lint etc, said everything was good to go, will try it again tonight.

on a side note, i really like having the faster charger.

That would still make me nervous having not gotten a clear explanation of what was wrong. I'd keep a close eye on it for at least a week to build up that comfort level...

Back