Stealing the cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

I am half-heartedly trying to talk the owner of the local restaurant where I eat lunch every day into installing a charging station. She's in a sort of "mall" (actually an old schoolhouse with a couple dozen businesses) and it seems to me that it'd be a neat addition. At least for now, I'd probably be the only customer to use it, and I certainly don't NEED it, as the restaurant is only 5 miles or so from home. But, it'd be neat advertising for her and the others. Would probably rate a story in the local newspaper.

However, the thought crossed my mind that maybe the so-called "scrappers" might steal the cord at night. Has this been a problem with public charging stations? Is there any way to prevent such theivery?

jdunmyer said:
I am half-heartedly trying to talk the owner of the local restaurant where I eat lunch every day into installing a charging station. She's in a sort of "mall" (actually an old schoolhouse with a couple dozen businesses) and it seems to me that it'd be a neat addition. At least for now, I'd probably be the only customer to use it, and I certainly don't NEED it, as the restaurant is only 5 miles or so from home. But, it'd be neat advertising for her and the others. Would probably rate a story in the local newspaper.

However, the thought crossed my mind that maybe the so-called "scrappers" might steal the cord at night. Has this been a problem with public charging stations? Is there any way to prevent such theivery?

I have never heard of any cord being stollen.

With the handle locked in place it would seem to be less attractive.

I suppose one could post a sign on the unit.."Warning...High Voltage."

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't followed that thread recently nor committed it to memory, but I've seen reports (I believe on the Seattle area Leaf Facebook group) of EVSEs w/their cords cut and stolen by copper thieves.

A cord has been cut and stolen from a Chargepoint station in Eureka twice in the last two weeks. The cord was recovered at a local recyclers but the j1772 head was missing. When I discussed this with someone from the Redwood Coast Energy Authority when they were checking on their newly opened Chargepoint station in Arcata, they were well aware of the problem and considering everything from cameras to fake cameras to stickers with warnings. The city of Eureka is seriously trying to draw an evening restaurant into the Fisherman's building on the wharf which is where the Eureka charging station is located on the theory that more activity in the area will deter theft.

I am unsurprised to hear that cord stealing is a problem, but it's apparently not universal. The ultimate solution is to have the cord kept with the vehicle, as one of the links points out.

A "High Voltage" sign wouldn't deter the thieves. I've seen them cut a building drop that was hot, and have seen/read more than one story of them climbing the fence into a power company substation. The voltages there are at the point where they reach out and grab YOU, you don't need to reach for them. Of course, this is a 100% guarantee against recidivism on the thieves' part.

Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe the day will come when the companies will place armored cords where needed.

The telephone companies did this at one point on the pay phones.

Attachments

• 7KmMU.jpg
    7KmMU.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 73
Back