State of Charge - Union of Concerned Scientists EV Report

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

UCSlogo.jpg

State of Charge
Electric Vehicles’ Global Warming Emissions and Fuel-Cost Savings across the United States
By the Union of Concerned Scientists

Electric cars produce lower global warming emissions and cost significantly less to fuel than the average compact gasoline-powered vehicle.

Website HERE.

Read the report HERE (PDF).

Interesting Read!

Here's a Highlight:

pic

-Phil

http://www.climatecentral.org/wgts/leafapp/Climate_Friendly_Cars_2012.pdf
In 36 states, the hybrid electric Toyota Prius produces less greenhouse gas pollution than the all-electric Nissan Leaf, because when you plug in a Leaf to recharge, you are tapping into electricity generated largely by burning coal and natural gas in those states. (The Prius, which is the most efficient gasoline car sold in the U.S. today, is called a hybrid electric vehicle, but it can be thought of simply as a high-efficiency gasoline car because it derives all of its power from gasoline: its batteries are recharged by running its engine and recovering braking energy.)
I do not feel that bad, averaging lifetime 5.8 miles/kWh my Leaf is producing 0.365lbsCO2/mile comparing to 0.52 lbsCO2/mile for Pius, so that will make 35 states where Prius produces less greenhouse gas pollution

Ingineer said:
Something doesn't quite add up... What is the MPG ranking for the 2011 Toyota Prius on the dirtiest electrical grid (after all, they use electricity to make gasoline)? I get the feeling they forgot to add in the emissions into creating the gasoline burned in a vehicle.

If you add that in, the MPG equivalent for an EV would be a lot higher.

DarkStar said:
If you add that in, the MPG equivalent for an EV would be a lot higher.

I agree, over the life of our Leaf we will be saving a lot more than $13,000 in fuel, the number seems low... but i'm glad there is more talk of the savings.

Were I actually buying watts at low LADWP night rates, I would be saving $2200 a year over gasoline.

But, as I am fueling off my PV solar, on top of that, I have added savings due to solar of $260.

$2500 ofr 13,000 miles a year.

The Union of Concerned Scientists is having a media event tomorrow, 10 AM, in Balboa Park, at the EVSE. I am the designated LEAF Owner but I don't have a Blink card to access the EVSE. I would enjoy meeting some of you if you can make it (especially if you have a Blink card!) and bring your LEAF.

union-of-concerned-scientists-logo.jpg
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtop...7&hilit=union+of+concerned+scientists#p196277 for more info.

Thank you, Lynn

Back