Starting CC with the phone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

I have a 2013 SV and like to start the climate control, especially now that it's cold out. To say that it's not 100% reliable would be kind.

On the phone app, I changed it to "Stay logged in to server", which seemed to help the reliability, but it failed altogether the last couple of days. Sometimes, it comes up and after telling it to 'log into server', it shows me the choice to turn OFF the CC. Of course, I want to turn it ON, and that seems to not be possible.

Tonight, the app told me to "check your Internet connection". I'm using an iPhone 5 with Verizon and have a very good signal with it. IIRC, someone here said that Nissan uses AT&T, if that's correct, I have no idea of what their reception would be. Or, if that's even the problem.

In all cases, I'm attempting to start the CC while at the restaurant, same place every time, whether it works or not. The car might be parked in a different spot, but no more than 50' different from one time to the next.

Is this just the way it is, or can I do something to improve the reliability?

jdunmyer said:
I have a 2013 SV and like to start the climate control, especially now that it's cold out. To say that it's not 100% reliable would be kind.

On the phone app, I changed it to "Stay logged in to server", which seemed to help the reliability, but it failed altogether the last couple of days. Sometimes, it comes up and after telling it to 'log into server', it shows me the choice to turn OFF the CC. Of course, I want to turn it ON, and that seems to not be possible.

Tonight, the app told me to "check your Internet connection". I'm using an iPhone 5 with Verizon and have a very good signal with it. IIRC, someone here said that Nissan uses AT&T, if that's correct, I have no idea of what their reception would be. Or, if that's even the problem.

In all cases, I'm attempting to start the CC while at the restaurant, same place every time, whether it works or not. The car might be parked in a different spot, but no more than 50' different from one time to the next.

You have to first get an update. It says turn off the climate control because you had previously turned it on. So first open the program, request an update. Then Nissan will talk to your car and get the current info. Then it will give you the option to turn on the climate control as you want it to be. When you open the app, it is just using old stale data, which is obviously wrong. Look at the last update time.

While carwings sucks, it has been 100% reliable for me. Just annoying.

I had a lot of trouble logging into carwings through the phone app a couple of days ago too... It sounds like we both had the same problem of it failing to even log in. I think carwings was just "down" for a few hours.

I think carwings was just "down" for a few hours.

I've noticed over the past year that C.W. isn't the most reliable technology out there, but it sure is nice when it works.

As an aside: How can I turn on the CC while the car is still plugged in? My Leaf is in a garage that is a pole barn with steel siding, so it has little to no cell signal. That means that I can't use my phone to energize it. It's not a problem for me to physically enter the garage to turn on the heat, but can I do so while it's still plugged in to my L2 cord? I know that I can't turn the car "On" until it's unplugged, and I don't use any charging timers.

jdunmyer said:
I think carwings was just "down" for a few hours.

I've noticed over the past year that C.W. isn't the most reliable technology out there, but it sure is nice when it works.

As an aside: How can I turn on the CC while the car is still plugged in? My Leaf is in a garage that is a pole barn with steel siding, so it has little to no cell signal. That means that I can't use my phone to energize it. It's not a problem for me to physically enter the garage to turn on the heat, but can I do so while it's still plugged in to my L2 cord? I know that I can't turn the car "On" until it's unplugged, and I don't use any charging timers.

My rule of thumb on 'reaching' CW in the car via a smartphone would be once the SAT radio cuts out typically a cell signal also can't reach it either (like deep into a under living space garage or deep into a parking garage --- your steel sided barn sounds similar). This is one reason that I chose a space closer to an outside door (I have a 4-car tandem garage) as its charging spot so I can access CW when its plugged-in --- if I park it further in, say when we've swapped cars out due to our lovely below zero weather, its difficult to 'reach' CW in the car, if at all.

Redleaf,
Yes, I've noticed the same thing. I've had a cell phone since about 1986, before bag phones, and found that they didn't work in my metal barn/shop building. Some carriers might ALMOST work, but not at all reliably. Just recently, I installed a Wilson amplifier system with both outside and inside antennas, and an amplifier between. Now, cell phones work great in the shop, especially my carrier (Verizon) because the outside antenna is pointed more or less at a Verizon tower. My garage building is 30' X 30' and sits 10' from the shop building; it has little to no cell service. Naturally, the satellite radio doesn't work either.

FWIW: I powered up the car in Accessory mode and the heat seemed to fire up also. I've also found some old message threads that tell about tricking the car so as to get the Climate Control started while the car is charging/charged and still plugged in. Will do some more experimentation.

If anyone is interested in the cell phone amplifier/antenna setup, here's the details: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/64869-O-T-Cellular-reception-in-a-metal-building?highlight=cell+phone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jdunmyer said:
If anyone is interested in the cell phone amplifier/antenna setup, here's the details: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/64869-O-T-Cellular-reception-in-a-metal-building?highlight=cell+phone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting info.

Yeah, I could probably install another setup in the garage, just for the car, but it hardly seems worth it, just to turn on the heat. Well, until a day like today, where the highest temperature I've seen has been +8 degrees F. :cry:

jdunmyer said:
As an aside: How can I turn on the CC while the car is still plugged in?
Start charging by hitting the override button, with foot on brake hit ON button, start heat A/C or auto. At least that's how I do it on the 2011. If you have the "S" model, then you don't have an energy screen to check if energy is being consumed by the heater.

Reddy said:
jdunmyer said:
As an aside: How can I turn on the CC while the car is still plugged in?
Start charging by hitting the override button, with foot on brake hit ON button, start heat A/C or auto. At least that's how I do it on the 2011. ...
That will work, but I learned it is a bad idea, if the car is anywhere close to 100% charged when you start.

I thought the vehicle would be in something like Ready, but unable to move because it is plugged in.

But on my 2011 it is actually in On mode.
The heater will work till the pack battery is fully charged.
At that point charging stops, battery contactor opens, you lose the heat, but the blower motor keeps running on the 12V system.
The contactor will not close and activate the DC to DC converter to charge the 12V battery until it's voltage drops to an astonishingly low 10.5V.
A very bad thing to do to the 12V battery.
Using On mode in the garden is how my 12V ended up having to be replaced at two years under warranty.
I thought with your foot on the brake it would not be in On mode, but in the 2011 it is.
I presume the 2013 SV is similar.

With no AT&T cell coverage at the vehicle due to metal building.
Only other choice is to set climate control timer.
Not as good as using Carwings because of limited time it will run though.
Carwings will run HVAC two hours when plugged in.

Update, wait for the update, then press climate and turn it on. works every time.

2013 SL

Except a lot of times it does not work on WiFi

I have Verizon and it works perfectly fine.

iPhone 6 Plus, had a 4S when I bought the LEAF and it worked fine as well.

I think I found another problem with the entire C.W. setup:

Two days in a row, I unsuccessfully attempted to start the CC with my iPhone app. When it didn't work, I exited the app and returned the phone to my pocket. I noticed that my phone was using WAY too much battery; the SOC would be down to 15% in the evening, where it normally would be maybe as high as 70%+. It seemed to me that maybe the phone was still trying to contact Nissan's server, as the last message from the app was "Unable to connect to server". So, I cycled the power on the phone (turned it off, then back on) and the following day the battery usage seemed to have returned to normal, I had 72% in the evening, and had used the phone a time or 2 during the day, spending 3+ hours in my VW Passat, with the BlueTooth connected. That uses some power just by itself.

Being far from an expert on the iPhone, but have a bit more than passing familiarity with computers, it seems like the app is not only still running, but the phone is actively online, using gobs of power.

Any thoughts?

use leaflink instead of the nissan app. it doesn't have such problems

jdunmyer said:
I think I found another problem with the entire C.W. setup:

Two days in a row, I unsuccessfully attempted to start the CC with my iPhone app. When it didn't work, I exited the app and returned the phone to my pocket. I noticed that my phone was using WAY too much battery; the SOC would be down to 15% in the evening, where it normally would be maybe as high as 70%+. It seemed to me that maybe the phone was still trying to contact Nissan's server, as the last message from the app was "Unable to connect to server". So, I cycled the power on the phone (turned it off, then back on) and the following day the battery usage seemed to have returned to normal, I had 72% in the evening, and had used the phone a time or 2 during the day, spending 3+ hours in my VW Passat, with the BlueTooth connected. That uses some power just by itself.

Being far from an expert on the iPhone, but have a bit more than passing familiarity with computers, it seems like the app is not only still running, but the phone is actively online, using gobs of power.

Any thoughts?

I found out how to shut down apps w/o having to cycle the power or even reboot. My iPhone is now able to run all day on <20% of its battery power.

Also, by calling for an Update as suggested here, it's working better. Certainly not fast, but it seems to get the job done.

I'll try that LeafLink app, thanks for the tip!

adsapguy said:
use leaflink instead of the nissan app. it doesn't have such problems

Been using that for several days now, and it works MUCH better than the Nissan app. It's both more reliable and faster.

Thanks for the tip!!

jdunmyer said:

Download Open Wings Plus for Android. This app is much more reliable and confirms when you have successfully turned on the heater/ac.

Haldor,
My message, just above yours, points out that I'm using an iPhone.

I started using LeafLink based on a recommendation here, and haven't had a failure so far.

Back