Squeal from Back Wheel during Wet Weather, Only in Reverse

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michapok

The past two times it's rained (or even just wet weather in general) I get this high pitched squeal from my 2013 Leaf when I go in reverse. Note that it doesn't happen when I go forward (brakes or not). Is this just rust somewhere and should I bring it in to get it checked out? Do the brakes get actuated differently if I'm going forward vs. backwards?

It's probably rust. In recent years Japanese rotors seem to have gotten a lot less rust-resistant. Still, I hear that noise the first few times I brake in damp weather in Forward as well as Reverse...

michapok said:
The past two times it's rained (or even just wet weather in general) I get this high pitched squeal from my 2013 Leaf when I go in reverse. Note that it doesn't happen when I go forward (brakes or not). Is this just rust somewhere and should I bring it in to get it checked out? Do the brakes get actuated differently if I'm going forward vs. backwards?
I just started to have the same problem with my '13.

Was there for 2 weeks then went away.

Felt like a brake piston was not releasing and or rust.

michapok said:

Does the squeal happen only when you are applying the brakes?

With the return of wet, non-freezing weather the squeal is back. It doesn't matter if I have brakes or not. It also seems to go away after I drive it for a little while. Anyone else been seeing this?

michapok said:
The past two times it's rained (or even just wet weather in general) I get this high pitched squeal from my 2013 Leaf when I go in reverse. Note that it doesn't happen when I go forward (brakes or not). Is this just rust somewhere
I'll often get some rust on my rotors if it was wet recently & I don't drive my Leaf for a day. I wouldn't call the noise I hear a squeal - more of a rubbing, but I imagine a squeal could happen. Anyhow, the little bit of rust rubs off after a mile or so of driving. It's not a big deal, just annoying.

Rain in NY means the squeal is back. I finally got some video (with sound). Anyone else getting this? It's the driver side rear. Next time it's a rainy weekday I'm taking it in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p3WOEzrXGk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michapok said:
Rain in NY means the squeal is back. I finally got some video (with sound). Anyone else getting this? It's the driver side rear. Next time it's a rainy weekday I'm taking it in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p3WOEzrXGk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mine is more like a grinding sound, and it will go away after a few miles.

A squealing sound like this happens due to vibrations between two pieces of metal. I've fixed this in other vehicles by removing the caliper and coating the back & sides of the brake pads (wherever it touches the caliper - NOT the part that touches the rotor!) with a thin layer of grease (petroleum jelly).

If there are any extra little thin metal parts holding the pad in the caliper, be sure to grease both sides of those. My minivan had two thin metal sheets between the pad & caliper that I didn't realize were separate from the pad. The squeal didn't go away until I coating both sides of both of them.

garsh said:
Mine is more like a grinding sound, and it will go away after a few miles.

A squealing sound like this happens due to vibrations between two pieces of metal. I've fixed this in other vehicles by removing the caliper and coating the back & sides of the brake pads (wherever it touches the caliper - NOT the part that touches the rotor!) with a thin layer of grease (petroleum jelly).

If there are any extra little thin metal parts holding the pad in the caliper, be sure to grease both sides of those. My minivan had two thin metal sheets between the pad & caliper that I didn't realize were separate from the pad. The squeal didn't go away until I coating both sides of both of them.
Special heat-resistant adhesive is available at auto parts stores for this problem. I have used high-temp silicone form-a-gasket in a pinch. Basically glue the back of the pad to the caliper so the pad can't vibrate. Make sure to glue both pads (the visible outside of caliper and the piston side).

From NY here with a 2012 leaf, I started hearing the same squeak sound from rear twice last couple of weeks, has only happened after snow and rain + only in reverse. Seems to be accumulated rust on rear discs. Past two days it seems to have gone away on its own.

michapok said:
Sounds like brake or debris dust, my drive way makes me back (downhill) with all vehicles and having to use extra break force in reverse causes all my vehicles (no matter the make or model) to do the same thing during a previous rain or just sitting in the driveway long enough to get a coasting of pollen, dust, rust, etc. on the rotors.

Funny thing about an electric car, every little noise that I often ignore in the louder gas burners can easily be heard now, :lol:

Back