Speeding ticket anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

I have not seen any reports of speeding tickets in a Leaf yet. Just one case of getting pulled over and almost getting a ticket. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2441

Here is an interesting article I read today, and I thought I'd share the link.

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Slow-down-buddy-what-s-the-rush-1st-EV-speeding-ticket-in-1899-tc3540307.html

Last week I was on Hwy 85, 1:30pm with very light traffic and decided to check the Leaf top end speed. Hit 94 and then it governed between 94 and 93. As luck would have it I saw the radar speed check just in time to get slowed down (surprised to see them at this time of day).
On the same day I also ran the battery down to see the "turtle" and discover that the Leaf automatically shifted into "N" and would not let me get back into "D" when you "run out of charge". I turned everything off and back on thinking it would "reset" but with no luck. I had to push the car the last little bit from the road to my home charger.
GHJ

gjohnson said:
Last week I was on Hwy 85, 1:30pm with very light traffic and decided to check the Leaf top end speed. Hit 94 and then it governed between 94 and 93. As luck would have it I saw the radar speed check just in time to get slowed down (surprised to see them at this time of day).
On the same day I also ran the battery down to see the "turtle" and discover that the Leaf automatically shifted into "N" and would not let me get back into "D" when you "run out of charge". I turned everything off and back on thinking it would "reset" but with no luck. I had to push the car the last little bit from the road to my home charger.
GHJ
There is no "governor" on the LEAF. Physically, it can't go any faster than about 94 miles per hour. At least with its current configuration.

I can see how you could get a ticket. Without the usual noise and vibration feedback, unless you watch the speedometer it's easy to shoot past 80 without realizing it. But I think I'll be satisfied with the slow lane.

Well I can still confirm that the top end of my Leaf is faster than the top end of my Rav4 EV. I did this same test when I got the Rav4 EV in 2002. But the end of charge is better in the Rav4 as it gives grater distance in the restricted speed, turtle mode.
GHJ

walterbays said:
I can see how you could get a ticket. Without the usual noise and vibration feedback, unless you watch the speedometer it's easy to shoot past 80 without realizing it. But I think I'll be satisfied with the slow lane.

No kidding. I was rolling 85mph without realizing it. That was, in fact, the current speed of the car in front of and behind me on 805 South in San Diego. Good way to burn kWh. ;)

GroundLoop said:
No kidding. I was rolling 85mph without realizing it. That was, in fact, the current speed of the car in front of and behind me on 805 South in San Diego. Good way to burn kWh. ;)
I think maybe the police don't ticket in San Diego unless you break the sound barrier. ;) Somehow the Leaf makes me feel a lot better about lingering in the right lane at 65 and watching most of the cars shoot past me. (I often get to see them again waiting at the stoplight just in front of me.)

walterbays said:
I think maybe the police don't ticket in San Diego unless you break the sound barrier. ;)
If only that were true... I would have had to sit through a lot less traffic schools. :lol:

turbo2ltr said:
I'm not running my V1 in the LEAF, so I expect one soon..lol
My wife just stole my ten-year-old V1... think I might have to buy another :)

walterbays said:
GroundLoop said:
I think maybe the police don't ticket in San Diego unless you break the sound barrier. ;) Somehow the Leaf makes me feel a lot better about lingering in the right lane at 65 and watching most of the cars shoot past me. (I often get to see them again waiting at the stoplight just in front of me.)
They totally do - especially driving car pool lanes on I-15. I see ~5 people pulled over/week...and my V1's been going off almost daily on my commute for the past several years.

Back