Something in my charging system just died (2011)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your job and Leaf resolution. Your transfer to Seattle will greatly reduce number of Leaf in our region but your Leaf will be happy there and finally you will make use of QC port

Well crap.

Not quite fixed, it seems - just not quite as critically broken as before.

Since getting it back from the shop, around 2 days later I had an incident where the car stopped charging mid-charge; when I next turned the car on, it had the exclamation-car error indicator. Turn off the car, back on, error cleared; plugged the EVSE in again, worked fine. Told myself it was a random fluke.

Happened again a couple days later - which got me worrying that maybe something was wrong with the Aerovironment EVSE. So, I switched to the stock 110v (I do have it EVSE upgraded, but was just using 110). Yesterday it started doing that too --- then it started getting worse. Now it won't charge from either station, from more than a few hours.

At this point the shipper is supposed to be picking the car up for the move between the 23rd and 29th (they require a 7-day window for pickup), so I'm not even going to bother taking it to a local dealership, I'll just take it to one of the places in Seattle - they'll probably be better equipped to handle it anyway. I was going to have to rent a car for a few days to get me around after the pickup, this just means I'll need a couple extra days. I'll get a rental tonight instead of Thursday, then over the course of the next 2 days I'll nurse the car up to some mid-level charge- enough to get it on & off the trailer as needed and hopefully get me to the dealership on the other end once it gets there.

Anybody have good experiences with Seattle-area leaf tech? I'd love to hear recommendations on what dealership to go to...

Stuff happens, so trying not to be disgruntled. Pretty hard when it hits right in the middle of all this other stuff going on... Moving cross-country is a logistical nightmare to start with... But at least I'll be much less car-dependent on the other end anyway. And crap happens, it's all warranty covered, so I'm sure it'll be alright... just stressful in the meantime.

The only way to tell what's going on here is to dump the DTCs using Consult III+. Ask for a printed list of any stored DTCs!

My best guess: Excessive HV Leakage current. If this is confirmed with a DTC, then I would begin troubleshooting by measuring resistances. If this isn't revealing, I'd try running the car after disconnection of the PTC heater and A/C compressor. To do this, the safety pins will have to be bypassed, as the car will not close it's main contactor with these plugs removed. Obviously the connectors should be carefully insulated before operating the car with any HV plugs removed.

-Phil

For Seattle area techs, I can strongly recommend Aaron at Nissan of the Eastside. He really appreciates the tech of the Leaf and that’s all he works on. Unfortunately the dealership he works at has had some challenges with customer service. Some walk away and say never again, others lament that a day old Leafer was denied a QC and wasn’t offered help finding a charge. I haven’t seen any of this myself. Even if I had, I would still seriously consider going back there for service because I hold such a high opinion of Aaron.

Campbell Nelson Nissan has better all around reviews, but not quite as high on the tech level.

FairwoodRed said:
For Seattle area techs, I can strongly recommend Aaron at Nissan of the Eastside. He really appreciates the tech of the Leaf and that’s all he works on. Unfortunately the dealership he works at has had some challenges with customer service. Some walk away and say never again, others lament that a day old Leafer was denied a QC and wasn’t offered help finding a charge. I haven’t seen any of this myself. Even if I had, I would still seriously consider going back there for service because I hold such a high opinion of Aaron.

Campbell Nelson Nissan has better all around reviews, but not quite as high on the tech level.

I concur, Aaron is the only Nissan dealer tech I want touching my LEAF. As for the rest of the dealership, meh, I'd buy from any dealer that had the lowest price.

Thanks, that happens to be closest to my new home (cap hill) anyway :) I'll give him a call and schedule something as soon as I get there.

I'll also ask for a printout of the stored DTC's - I wouldn't have known what to ask for, so many thanks for that advice as well :)

Either way, man it's exciting to be going to somewhere where a car is a really nice convenience rather than a necessity :)

Gah. Just keeps getting worse. Have to pay extra to have it transported as "non-operational" now... Today when I tried to start it to move it for loading it on the truck, the 'green car' blinked once, then went away and the double-parentheses exclamation error light came on. At that point it showed 9 bars and 74 miles. I powered down and powered back on, and it showed the error - plus "---" miles and no battery bars! From that point nothing but ---/no batt would show up. Tried disconnecting the battery cable and reconnecting it, and it restarted the sequence - first power-on shows 74/9bar, then errors out, and subsequent starts show ---/0+error.
So I pay the extra and the shipper will be back some other time with winch and whatever else he needs to load it up. Effing awesome timing. (*sigh*).

Talked to eastside nissan though, they know its coming - and had the shipper change it to just delivering straight there instead of my home.

I'm sure everything will be fine eventually, but man the timing for this problem SUCKS. :(

I'm moving - I already need to have it hauled from Little Rock to Seattle, regardless of function. Just now I have to pay extra to have it considered non-operational. That's what I mean about freaking bad timing. Theoretically I could have had it serviced here in Little Rock first, but when the problem popped back up we were just over a week away from move date - and last time the shop here had the car they spent more than 2 weeks just *looking* for the problem, and apparently didn't completely get it fixed or something... So I think putting it in the shop here at that point would have been a very bad idea.

Did you check the 12V battery voltage? There have been a few reports on the forum of "strange behaviour" when the 12V battery voltage is low.

Alright, looks like this is finally drawing near close, maybe?
After quite a bit of swashbuckling with transport companies, I finally got someone to actually pick the car up. Delivered the car end of last week (actually met Aaron to discuss it early this week), and looks like the problem is high voltage wiring harness. Part ordered. Not sure when it'll be here, but honestly I'm not in too much of a hurry now that the move is all resolved. I'm closing in on two weeks with no vehicle, and that hasn't been a problem in the slightest, other than taking slightly longer to get places - but even that is ok; an hour-long ride sitting on a bus reading a book is a million times better than 40 minutes in traffic in my opinion! :D

defiancecp said:
After quite a bit of swashbuckling with transport companies, I finally got someone to actually pick the car up. Delivered the car end of last week (actually met Aaron to discuss it early this week), and looks like the problem is high voltage wiring harness. Part ordered. Not sure when it'll be here, but honestly I'm not in too much of a hurry now that the move is all resolved. I'm closing in on two weeks with no vehicle, and that hasn't been a problem in the slightest, other than taking slightly longer to get places - but even that is ok; an hour-long ride sitting on a bus reading a book is a million times better than 40 minutes in traffic in my opinion! :D
You are one patient person; and I salute you for that. Good luck in your new location. Be sure your windshield wipers are in good condition up there. :p

edited for spelling

defiancecp said:
Got to see my first wild (as in on the road and not mine) leaf! and second...third.........seventh.... :) Man, you PNW guys got them all over the place :p

Only 7? Must not have been here long. :lol:

defiancecp said:

Any charges above and beyond what you were originally quoted for an "operational vehicle" to be shipped and what you actually paid should be reimbursable since what you have is a warranty repair. Call Nissan.

WetEV said:
defiancecp said:
Got to see my first wild (as in on the road and not mine) leaf! and second...third.........seventh.... :) Man, you PNW guys got them all over the place :p

Only 7? Must not have been here long. :lol:

About 48 hours at that point, very little time on the streets - I've actually been here two weeks now, and I have no idea how many I've seen... :)

LEAFer said:
Any charges above and beyond what you were originally quoted for an "operational vehicle" to be shipped and what you actually paid should be reimbursable since what you have is a warranty repair. Call Nissan.

Don't know how much it was anymore. The transport arrangements ended up being a complete cluster because one shipper just didn't bother to show and I had to pay emergency rates to get another there super-quick (was vacating old home; couldn't leave the car there)... No direct linkage to the additional charges and the non-running vehicle.

glad I'm not in a hurry :)

Just called to check in and apparently waiting on something from Nissan corporate in order to be able to (replace?) the vcm I think?

Seems like a lot of the hangups have been waiting on Nissan to approve things. I guess I can understand that maybe? given the expense of the parts, replacing the wrong thing could get really expensive I suppose, but when customers are paying in weeks-long repair times, maybe the process needs to be re-examined?

Not that I mind, honestly at this point... The way things have gone I'm going to seriously consider moving completely to transit & bike anyway; I've done it nearly 3 weeks now and it's been fine. So in a way the car breaking down has probably shown me how little I need it here anyway...

I'll probably keep it through winter to be sure I'm not going to change my mind, but if at that point I'm still working so well off transit & bike, I'll probably just sell it altogether.

^^^
It's unfortunate to hear about your downtime along w/those of some others here (in other threads). If I had a Leaf and benefited greatly from HOV stickers in my daily commute, I'd be quite adamant about wanting my Leaf repaired ASAP, so those stickers can save a lot of time and frustration.

It would suck to end up having to buy/lease another vehicle that's HOV sticker eligible to use as a backup due to downtime of the 1st vehicle.

Back