SoCal Branch Year 4 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 5

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful news, Thanks.

Now, if you want or need assistance during the
possibly taxing recovery phases, please let us know
and we will attempt to help you. Sometimes a break
from being the 24/7 "watchful eye" is quite beneficial.

Sincerely, Gary

Guys, I think I'm going to skip tomorrow after all...Naomi isn't doing as well right now as she was earlier in the day, so I'm either going to stay up here all night or, if she improves sometime soon, get up here as early as I can tomorrow morning.

mwalsh said:
Guys, I think I'm going to skip tomorrow after all...Naomi isn't doing as well right now as she was earlier in the day, so I'm either going to stay up here all night or, if she improves sometime soon, get up here as early as I can tomorrow morning.

I'm sorry to hear that, Mike. I hope that she improves quickly. We'll miss you and be thinking of you two.

Next Gathering is on Saturday the 28th of June, at the HTB in Santa Ana.

Last Saturday, we had 9 bodies, about 3 Teslas, at least 3 LEAFs, a
Rav4EV, and ... a good time. Allen is trying to find a safe way to
power his mini-QC from two J1772 EVSEs simultaneously, even
if they are wired to different phases of 3-phase AC power.

The mini-QC should accept "DC" input, but it is not clear
how the first stage (a Power Factor Corrector boost stage)
would react to rectified 2-of-3-phase power input.

However, the mini-QC (experimental, cautious use only) is
apparently getting good use, and doing well in his hands.
He puts lots of miles on his LEAF, with over 80,000 miles
in about 3 years and 3 months. Good work, Allen!

I have a 16Amp EVSE Upgrade from the original 2011 Nissan Leaf that I'm willing to part with now that my Leaf is turned in and I didn't get charged for not including it. Would prefer to sell locally and willing to drop off at the Santa Ana gathering this weekend. Also included is the 120V adapter, L6-30 Adapter and one of the RV adapters, can't remember the size off top of my head, but I can look when I get home. Will take some photos when I get home too. Looking for $350.

I am interested, please bring it Saturday.
See my PM to you.

Gathering this coming Saturday, 28 June, 2014, at the Hometown
Buffet in Santa Ana on 17th street, 2 blocks East of the I-5 freeway.

HTB opens for breakfast at 8:00 AM, and I am planning to be there
very close to that time.

Robert will be unable to join us this Saturday.

Cheers All, Gary

tbleakne said:
I am planning to make Santa Ana HTB on 28th, as long as you are willing to accept me arriving in an rental ICE. My red car will be in Costa Mesa getting its titanium battery armour installed.
Really? They didn't give you a loaner?

JasonA said:
tbleakne said:
I am planning to make Santa Ana HTB on 28th, as long as you are willing to accept me arriving in an rental ICE. My red car will be in Costa Mesa getting its titanium battery armour installed.
Really? They didn't give you a loaner?
Tesla no longer provides Model S Performance loaners, but they do pay for a nice luxury rental from Enterprise. The car they gave me runs on "dead dinosaurs" to quote a Tony Williams expression, but you folks may be interested in looking at it anyways. It is a KIA K900, 5L, V8, 8-speed transmission, moon roof, leather, GPS, cooled seats, backup camera, folding mirrors, etc. When I floored it on the freeway onramp, I got it up to 6K rpm, but torque was really wimpy compared to standard Model S. From Car & Driver:
Sister ship to Hyundai’s Equus, the K900 is a rear-drive, 420-hp V-8–powered luxury barge that indicates its maker’s ambitions. Expanding on established Kia styling themes, it’s a muscular four-door stuffed with leather, wood trim, and electronic amusements. The steering is numb and the suspension is soft. Kia wants buyers to think the K900 is a value compared with its more-expensive competitors in full-size luxury, but we’d rather spend less for a car that is more about driving than gadgets.
>>>>
The electrohydraulic power steering system’s reservoir is apparently filled with embalming fluid>>>
I asked the Enterprise guy to set up the navigation for the ride home, and it took him a few minutes to figure out that the lame LCD is NOT touch-sensitive, but uses a toggle.
The car has LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System) and LCA (Lane Change Assist). On the drive home on the freeway these features startled and distracted me, but I think LCA could be quite helpful after I got used to it.
This "barge" weighs 4550 lbs, only 100 lbs less than the Model S.

I'll be at breakfast tomorrow, for there is much to discuss!

Of course, we would be at HTB in Santa Ana tomorrow when I practically have to drive past the other one to get some appliance parts at Sears immediately following breakfast. Sigh.

A great Gathering, with lots of different subjects if conversation.
Prominent on the LEAF scene was Nissan's announcement of
their willingness to sell a replacement Battery Pack for about
$6000 plus tax. Uncertain what its warranty will be.

We had 14 warm bodies, arriving in about
6 LEAFs, a Spark, 2 Teslas, 2 Rav4EVs, and ...
one ICE vehicle (loaner while Tesla was being ...
fixed?).

The new Spark owner had only been driving Electric for
about a week and a half.

Thanks everyone for showing up.

Thank you all for helping me celebrate my birthday yesterday at breakfast. Somehow I managed to get through the breakfast without hearing about the new battery exchange offer from Nissan.

Today I sold my LEAF to a very nice family that will treat it well. They have been driving it for evaluation for two weeks. I am glad they will have the option of the new battery exchange whenever they are ready for that.

I could use some guidance from someone on this thread who has sold a LEAF in how to transfer Carwings to the new owner.

Our July 2014 Gatherings are:
1. Cerritos on July 12th, at the HTB on South Street
2. Santa Ana on July 26th, at the HTB on 17th Street

See you there, if all goes well enough.

If anyone is interested, I have a L2 40A EVSE built by GlennD for sale. It includes an 18' J1772 from QuickCharge Power (Tony Williams). I am asking $425 which is less than I paid for it.

I am only selling it because Glenn built me another one that runs L1 and L2. The one I am selling will do L1 but not reliably.

Please let me know if you are interested. Its a >2 hour drive from Bakersfield, and I probably wont come if I don't have a buyer.

Mike

Our next Gathering will be this coming Saturday, 12 July,
at the Hometown Buffet in Cerritos, which opens at 8 AM.
This HTB is conveniently located just north of South Street,
two blocks east of the 605 freeway. The South Street exit
is the first exit off 605 south of the 91 freeway.

Join us for a good breakfast, and I will introduce
the official, unofficial LEAF-Recognition wave,
never before demonstrated in public, I believe.

Others may demonstrate their favorite wave, and
some might want to demonstrate some well known
wave, like the Queen's Wave.

Back