SoCal Branch LEAF-Gathering Year 2 - #24c: 25 Aug 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom and I went to the Mitsubishi Headquarters QC station to see
if it was working, and get some e-fuel for Tom, so that he could
More easily visit Laguna Hills (35 miles from Cerritos).

We found Dori's LEAF sucking up (really exchanging) electrons with
the QC machine ... instead of being at our Gathering at the HTB
which was only 8 miles away. Oh well, at least she was feeding
her machine!

By getting off 605 at Katella (just before the 405 junction), we missed
the fun of taking the detour that boomer described above. At that moment
I was glad that Tom and I had decided to check out the QC station!

There were 9 at our Gathering, with 7 LEAFs parked outside.
I had a very nice time, thanks to my wonderful friends there.

I plan to attend the BBQ on Aug 18th.
I will try to arrive a half hour early (at 9:30) to help with setup.

Those helping with cleanup might plan to stay a half hour late.

Do we need chairs?
I could bring about 4 metal folding chairs, and some canvas camping chairs.

If desired, I could bring a large "Death by Chocolate" cake from Costco. :D

Thanks for the offer of chairs, Gary. I do have 8 fairly comfortable office chairs and 4 less comfortable canvas ones, so sure, we could use those extra 4+ I think. Oh and definitely, that homicidal dessert will be appreciated!

Another important thing I neglected to mention, the charging facilities here at our warehouse/office are a dismal trickle charge only. But I MAY have that upgraded to a 220v outlet by 8/18. BUT, of course the main draw for this location is the 3 MIN drive to the Chademo L3 charger at Mitsubishi hdqtrs down the street and up a ways. :D For anyone who's yet to try it out, it'd be a great opportunity to do so! So far there are 6 adults definitely RSVP'd, please PM me or add to this thread with any questions or comments.

Robert will come with me, and bring home-made brownies.
I will bring some chairs, and intend to bring the chocolate cake.

Robert knows another LEAFer who may come, and
my Volt friend Bob is likely to join us.
Gregg might also join us. More later when I know more.

Food seems to be quite a "draw".
Thanks, Dori

11542 Knott St #6, Garden Grove, right near Cypress
A couple of blocks East of Mitsubishi Headquarters, and about 2 blocks South.
Transit Office, two doors down from Federal, faces Knott.
South of Orangewood and East of Knott
2 major blocks south of Katella
North of the 22, which is North of the 405
About 5 miles East of 605
Park around back to enter and meet in the warehouse.

Dori, do I have these location details correct?

Yes Gary, directions are excellent. Thank you for updating me with the attendance projections.

So far we have 10 possibly 11 rsvp'd, all adults. There is a wonderful little park just across the street, about 3 mins walk with a shaded bench, plenty of shady trees, kid's jungle jim and a basketball throw area, which would be good for any kids attending.

So in addition to those listed above, JPV has rsvp'd with family still undecided, but hopefully they can come, and I have a guest, a student with a budding interest in EVs coming.

As far as refreshments, we seem to have desserts covered, Allen & Carol are bringing hummus/pita chips, side salad, Teavana and fruit juices. I'll have chilled water on hand along with hot dogs and condiments. Would anyone like to bring a macaroni or potato salad? Pasta salad? Fruits? Other drinks? Other chips? Just some ideas, but anything would be appreciated.

If I can get rsvps and other replies on this thread it'll be simpler and toward the end of the week we should know whatever is still needed, if anything. Looking forward to seeing you all Saturday!

Thanks! Dori

I'll check in with you as my week progresses. Lots happening with the family this week, so not sure I'll be free that afternoon. I'd love to come if I'm free, and if so, I can pick up whatever potluck items aren't already spoken for.

BBQ event hours are 10 AM to 1 PM, so it should not take a big bite
out of one's afternoon - this is more like a late brunch.

My friend Volt-Bob will not know his schedule until late in the week.
Gregg's health is always day-to-day.

Robert and I are "all in", barring unforseen accidents. :D

Bummer I can't make it, we have all made new friends and have had lot's of great talks over the last 2 years. Thank you Gary for starting the meetup. Looking forward to pictures.

It seems like we were all still waiting for our Leaf, I think the first person to get there LEAF was Mike and he gave us all rides :D and then we started making pigtails as a group.

Mitch

1051 said:
It seems like we were all still waiting for our Leaf, I think the first person to get there LEAF was Mike and he gave us all rides :D and then we started making pigtails as a group.

Mitch
Reading the stories of pigtail making inspired me to start the horn upgrade clinic that we do up North. They are now a fixture of our meetings. One thing led to another, and now we also do seat heater installations and cabin air filter changes.

Is going in from the top, at the coolant reservoir, a reasonable method?

Is taking out one horn and mounting two the typical procedure?

One just needs a "Y", one male spade lug to two female, right?

Maybe I /we can do/demo a horn upgrade at our BBQ this coming Saturday.

garygid said:

Yes, there are 8 plastic pop rivets that hold the cover in place--pop and remove w/screwdriver, then unbolt the overflow tank with a 10mm wrench. Yes, remove the stock horn (requires 12 mm wrench or better yet, socket. The 2012's have a 13 mm bolt, though, so now I carry both box wrenches in my kit). Attach the horns to the arms, and hold them both at the center with the old bolt from the stock horn. Once in place, use the Y which, as you describe is a 2 females to 1 male. The messiest part of the entire job is cleaning the grease off your fingers when you separate the connectors. We recommend the FIAMM El Grande horn set. First time it might take you 30 minutes, but once you get good, more like 15.

I am back from my second trip and looking forward to the BBQ this Saturday.

I had a good time at Pagosa Springs, CO, 1 hr E. of Durango. I flew to Durango via PHX, the second leg on a small Canadian jet, 4 seats across. On the flight back we passed over a large dust storm bearing down on Phoenix.

My friends have 5 acres, nice view, lots of wildlife right at the back door or nearby: doe, fawns, Elk, swan family. Also: hot air balloons passing right over the house, rainbow, shooting star, cage-free chickens, horses. Visits to continental divide at Wolf Creek Pass and Silverton, including the steam train. The 7K ft altitude was a challenge for me, but I did quite a bit better than I expected.

See my best photos at:
http://tomnature.smugmug.com/Nature...rings/24735609_CShjNf#!i=2023337577&k=krbhmqw

I don't expect to make the September 8th meeting due to my surgery on Aug 28. I am expecting to come home from the hospital either Aug 29 or Aug 30. I know you all will send good vibes my way. Thanks.

gascant said:
garygid said:

Yes, there are 8 plastic pop rivets that hold the cover in place--pop and remove w/screwdriver, then unbolt the overflow tank with a 10mm wrench. Yes, remove the stock horn (requires 12 mm wrench or better yet, socket. The 2012's have a 13 mm bolt, though, so now I carry both box wrenches in my kit). Attach the horns to the arms, and hold them both at the center with the old bolt from the stock horn. Once in place, use the Y which, as you describe is a 2 females to 1 male. The messiest part of the entire job is cleaning the grease off your fingers when you separate the connectors. We recommend the FIAMM El Grande horn set. First time it might take you 30 minutes, but once you get good, more like 15.
Check out the latest set of instructions to do the horn upgrade here:
http://sfbayleafs.org/technical/diys/leaf-horn-upgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plus, we could be available by phone or skype to answer questions that might arise. While Gary shows it reusing the original horn bracket, it's not absolutely necessary (it means you need another bolt).

Boomer23 said:
I'll check in with you as my week progresses. Lots happening with the family this week, so not sure I'll be free that afternoon. I'd love to come if I'm free, and if so, I can pick up whatever potluck items aren't already spoken for.

OK! I'm good to go for Saturday. Dori, what potluck item is still most needed?

Since the Mitsubishi QC has been up and down lately, I investigated other L2 charging in the area as backup.
My Carwings found 3 recent nearby stations, all 350Green/Chargepoint at Walgreens.

11950 Valley View GG
N of Chapman, 2 blocks W from Dori's business

1900 BeachBlvd, Stanton
N of Chapman, 2 blocks E

3446 W. Ball Rd., Anaheim
E. side of Knott, 3.5 blocks N

My opinion of 350Green stations is not high, based upon my experience at 350Green stations listed on their map as operational at Walgreens in Glendora and Chino Hills. In the first case, the station was installed but not operational on repeated visits, and in the latter case the site only had the wiring and a bare post installed for their future station.

The above 3 stations are listed on the Chargepoint map, so they are probably real.
Since all 3 charge $2/hr, I doubt in any of us are going to use them tomorrow, but it might be interesting to check out their status anyway, given my experience.

Back