So will it be enough?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brightonuk said:
I took the exact millage today it is 63 miles one way.

However, I do have a 240 outlet at work I guess I will need to experiment a bit, eco mode, 55-60mph , and sweating in the heat.
At least my delivery date is November some time, even Florida gets chilly to the point of just winding down the widows is enough...
At highway speeds you don't want to roll down the windows. You will lose more in drag than you save in AC. The AC isn't that tough on range, set it to 76 or 78 and I think you'll be able to use it. You will be charging to 100% twice a day, for this commute. There are a handful of people on the forum doing that. You might want to do a little searching.

P.S. You're confusing everyone by giving one-way mileage. We usually talk about round trips when discussing range around here.

Brightonuk said:
I sometimes use a rear bike rack to transport my racing bike. The bike only weighs in at 18lbs but what about the drag factor?

Unless you have to simultaneously have more than one other person in the car, a road bike fits fine in the back with the seat down- don't even have to take the front wheel off, just angle it into the cargo bay.

Unless your road bike is pretty big, it may fit in the back just by taking the wheels down. My 57cm bike fits, anyway. Just put some towels down so you grease up the trunk.

63 miles round trip should be no problem at 65 mph on a full charge. At 60 mph you'll have lots of buffer. If you can charge at work, just charge to 80% for each trip.

Edit: Sorry, ignore above since it's 63 miles each way - anyway, apply above rules for each trip.

drees said:
63 miles round trip should be no problem at 65 mph on a full charge. At 60 mph you'll have lots of buffer. If you can charge at work, just charge to 80% for each trip.
He said it's 63 miles one way.

Brightonuk said:
I took the exact millage today it is 63 miles one way.

Another Issue I may have is; I sometimes use a rear bike rack to transport my racing bike. The bike only weighs in at 18lbs but what about the drag factor?

We carry two bikes on a rear bike rack and drive about 60-70 miles one way regularly without noticeable drag. We are in northern California so don't use any AC. Only problem has been the bikes rack has dented the rear trunk a bit since it is just thin aluminum--the price we pay for having bikes available when we charge.

Brightonuk said:
Thanks for the responses OK so I slow down to 60mph and wind the window down
I am determined to get the Leaf I have been on the list for over a year and I can’t let it go now.
I do have a 240 at work so the modded EVSE will work.

As for the Tesla, did anyone see Top Gear testing the roadster?
It did not go well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFehyN8X7w

And here is the Stig in a Leaf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0x8onTErk

Last week Top Gear tested the Leaf against the Peugeot iOn. in real world driving. (I get this the UK version as I use a UK server to get the BBC.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yV7D90im7g

I am sure it will be on BBC America in a few weeks if you do not watch it is the best motoring show on the TV don’t get it mixed up with the US version that one is terrible.

As expected they ran it to empty then made a big deal finding someone willing to let them use their electrical outlet then getting people to push it and asking the local counsel where the nearest EV charging station was (47 miles away) but overall not as bad a the Prius review they did.

Think of Top Gear as infotainment and dangerous infotainment at that. It's truly a shame that they play their funny games and act serious about it and that anyone takes them seriously about matters as important as this. They have no integrity in my book. For their show on the Leaf, the one you mention, Nissan rebuffed their lame review by reviewing carwings which tracked the car's use without the Top Gear guys knowing it and caught these bozos driving the car in circles to run the battery down before taping the show to stage an "out of gas" scenario except they did not let on in the show that they did not start with a full charge. They basically deliberately attempted to smear the Leaf.

To run out of charge in the Leaf takes some serious lack of planning, IMHO. From what I've seen on 5K+, you will have no problem running the air conditioning and going 63 miles one way even at high speeds. With a few test runs you'll find what speed is most comfortable... I'm guessing you'll be able to go 65ish. I have never seen such an energy efficient air conditioner, it sips electrons so don't "sweat it". The heater is the energy suck. L2 at work is key as has been mentioned and once you learn how to work the regen and accelerometer and find your sweet spot, you will likely be able to do the trip on 80% charging which is more energy efficient and less taxing on the battery.

I commute 74 miles round-trip and so far have had no problem. Most of the trip is highway at 60 MPH. I also have to go over a 1,200 foot mountain. I use the A/C when I need it and generally make it home with 1 to 2 bars left. The key is driving slow (60 MPH) and learning to "drive" the Leaf by coasting when possible and going easy on acceleration. Good luck!

Back