So what is maintenance like?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
malloryk said:
... I don't know how many of you are women, but I suspect they sell a different story to the men than they do to females.
Maybe, but I've been told my share of whoppers, too. It took me a long time to find an honest mechanic who I could trust to tell me the truth, and give me all the options. Unfortunately, there isn't much on the LEAF he's going to be able to take care of for now.

Yes, but clearly Santa Monica Nissan was also more than happy to perpetuate the misinformation based on your $99 report... But I do agree, I will likely do the same with mine - take it to Fontana and make a day of it - when it becomes time for a "major" service...

malloryk said:
The 6-month service email came from Nissan, not the dealership. I've had my Leaf for 9 months so I figured it was time to get the tires rotated and the other stuff inspected that was on the maintenance schedule. Next time I get my car serviced, I'll need that battery check and I think I'm gonna make the drive out to Fontana for that and do some shopping at the outlets out there. Make a day of it. Fontana right now is the only Nissan dealership I'd go to. I don't know how many of you are women, but I suspect they sell a different story to the men than they do to females.
While charging at Fontana Nissan I saw a sign stating they provide free shuttle service to Victoria Gardens (about 4 miles) for service customers (I don't know about people like me just getting a charge), which has lots of shopping, good restaurants, and a movie complex.

tbleakne said:
While charging at Fontana Nissan I saw a sign stating they provide free shuttle service to Victoria Gardens (about 4 miles) for service customers (I don't know about people like me just getting a charge), which has lots of shopping, good restaurants, and a movie complex.

This is what I'm planning to do in Jan. when I go for my annual battery report. I'm bringing my business to Fontana and for any interim tire rotations, I'll just go back to my old mechanic or to a tire place. I let Nissan Corp. know of my experience at SMN (and told them that I'm spreading the word on the Internet ;) ) and someone got back to me this week about it. He followed up with the guy I dealt with at SMN. Basically, they're treating it as part of "business, just trying to make a buck, upselling to the customer." I call it "lying and trying to scam the customer." I went around and around with the guy because he couldn't really explain why they were trying to charge for an inspection that should be free and for a battery check that isn't needed yet (and should also be free anyway). It's just plain nonsense.

malloryk said:
... Basically, they're treating it as part of "business, just trying to make a buck, upselling to the customer." I call it "lying and trying to scam the customer." ...

Part of business is customer service and I'm pleased you exercised your choices. Maybe they don't want EV customers because we are likely to be bad for business with (hopefully) few things needing service.

SanDust said:
DarkStar said:
Last I checked, the air filter was $22... Hardly a deal-breaker. :D
Usually you can't get away for less than $75. The markup for the manufacturer has to be at least 300%. The dealer adds another 50% and charges for a half hour for a two minute job. Even if you're not handy this is a good candidate for a DIY.
I was perusing nissanaccessories247.com and they have the filter listed at $25.95. Could you replace it yourself and or have an independent shop do it? If I read the thread correctly, Nissan can only mandate to have the battery checks done at a dealer. But even that could be potentially accomplished elsewhere. Carolyn Coquillette from the Luscious Garage mentioned during the BayLEAFs meeting couple of weeks ago that they were planning to acquire the requisite diagnostic tools to service Leafs.

http://www.lusciousgarage.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.patsgarage.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BLUEH20 said:
Brake fluid flush is a recommendation. If your system stays closed and does not allow moisture to be absorbed into the fluid; it is usually a non-issue.

The two year normal driving or one year if in a severe driving climate is not unique to the LEAF. My 2002 MB SLK-320 and my 2004 VOLVO XC-70 have the same reommended service intervals.

Personally, I do my own flush with a power flushing uint and use ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid because it far exceeds the properties of the standard DOT 4 brake fluid. Oh, yes, this great fluid is not considered unacceptable in some states as is BLUE in color vice yellow.

I flush ever two years because more than going, I like stopping!

What do you use as a power flushing unit? I have a Motiv and am trying to figure out where to get the proper fitting for the Leaf reservoir.

Back