SO Cal observations versus East Coast

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatedad11

Just got back from a week in Southern California, most of that time spent in San Diego. I would like to compare my observations of the various EV’s I saw versus what is seen out here in the East Coast.
• So many Tesla’s that I lost count. On almost every trip on an interstate or “main road” I would see a Tesla.
• Plenty of Chevy Volts. It seemed that there were _many_ more than I recall from even 6 months ago. I did hear radio ads specific to $199 Volt lease deals, so the car was being pushed. The ads appear to be working.
• Also, many Nissan LEAFs, which was not surprising. I’d say it was nearly a tossup between Volts and LEAFs. TV ads were running for the LEAF, same ones I have been seeing on our local TV here. But they seemed to be running more often.
• Several Ford C-Max Energies seen. Probably, I saw a few every day. I think I have seen 3 here in the Philadelphia area over the last year in total.
• Saw 3 Fiat 500EV’s, which was kind of fun. None of them live in PA, though.
• Saw my first (and only) I-Miev in San Diego, parked at a 7/11. I tried to ID the owner, until my son gave me the evil eye and I gave up on that. I would have enjoyed speaking to a fellow I-Miev owner.
• After I figured that I would not see one (it was our last day in San Diego) I saw a BMW I3 drive by on the I-8. Nice looking color, grey black and metallic blue, if I recall. Looked pretty nice to me, so I don’t know what all the negative fuss is about the car’s looks. Also, didn’t seem as small as I expected it to be, after reading many reviews of the car.
• Saw, almost certainly, a KIA SOUL EV. It was driving in the HOV lane with only 1 driver, in the opposite direction. This was a blue car with white roof, and I “think”that only the EV version has this color scheme. Too bad I only saw it in passing as I would have liked to see it up close.
• Didn’t see a Toyota Rav4 EV, or a Ford Focus Electric.
• Naturally, quite a bit better EVSE infrastructure. Lots of “EV Charging Station” signs around. Also, plenty of those spaces were ICE’d!
• Overall, I was impressed by the EV saturation. Hope that we get the same results(in time)out here.

Lou

I don't know about San Diego, but here in LA a lot of those "Charging Station" directional signs have been up since the days of the EV-1. Many of those stations no longer exist, or if they still do don't have J1772 handles (like the charging stations at the Fry's in Burbank).

PlugShare is far more accurate.

Been driving an EV since March. I am in South Carolina just outside Charlotte NC. Never really noticed a EV in our area before ( IndianLand/ Fortmill SC ) to RockHill SC. Yesterday I saw a Tesla and 2 Leafs during a work commute. A trip to Charllote for dinner last week provided a chance to see a volt park behind us. We were enjoying a free park and charge during a night out on the town.volt owner and I chatted over PlugShare.
I also have someone at work who is very interested in Leaf ownership. If our plant comes through with chargers then we are in the along ownership range :p I am 26 miles and he would be 45 miles.
So in four months, I can say I have noticed a change in EV numbers. As for charging stations, we go from a plethora in some areas to zilch in most others. I guess we are blessed to what we do have. I have been very prolific to write to various businesses that lack chargers.
Don

I am seeing more and more EVs around here. Leaf and Volt sightings are "normal" now and are almost daily and there are several Teslas that I see frequently (including a roadster).

Back