snow tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epi117

i,m in portland oregon, rarely snows

what to do:

2013 leased leaf 7 months into lease

option 1. don't get snow tires and hope it doesn't snow.

option 2, costco has Bridgestone - Blizzak LM-25 RFT for $185 per tire

option 3, tirerack is recommending the 15 inch
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Studless Ice & Snow) for $356.00 for 4

and Sport Edition F2 (Silver Painted) Sport_Edition F2
View on
Vehicle Size: 15x6.5 (4)
Offset: 40mm
Backspacing: 5.31"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114

Price: $328.00
Estimated Availability: In Stock for $328.00

trying to decide..

I suggest you get all-season tires with excellent reviews, and leave them on year round. Sell the Ecopias to people who need to replace blown out tires.

Take a good look at Nokian tires. They wrote the book on snow tires & Low Roll Resistance. Great tire and cost a lot less then the Bridgestone Bilzzak.

Here's an article on Nokian's fastest tire on Ice.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/EN-Fastest-On-Ice-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm currently using the Nokian Entyres, great tires so far.

Fred

If it snows around here I just won't drive. It only happens a couple days a year tops. It's not worth it. This is what happens when people try to drive in the snow in Portland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXnIqxyyBNI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ya, I wouldn't waste your money either. We had a little snow here one morning so I took my Leaf out for a test (stock Ecopias, 6k miles). I was amazed, The car could start out on a rather steep grade without slipping a tire. Braking was excellent too. Convinced me, at least for now.

I looked on Tire Rack too. Only problem, no rims available. The 16's are ridiculously expensive, and if I can't get 15" steel wheels I'm not doing it. Then there's the TPMS issue and that extra cost. I'd just run the snowtires without it and look at the low pressure symbol for a few months.

Might look into some plastic or cable chains, or not.

pkulak said:
If it snows around here I just won't drive. It only happens a couple days a year tops. It's not worth it. This is what happens when people try to drive in the snow in Portland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXnIqxyyBNI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crazy video, that's when those people are thinking, "Damn!, should of got those Studded Nokian tires!!!" LoL

Fred

Epi117 said:

Yep, and that's what the folks in New Orleans said about Katrina. It's better to be safe then sorry. With the biggest hurricane in history to hit P.I. Who knows you can be hit with the biggest snow storm ever, I remember the Blizzard that hit New York in 78, that was crazy.

Fred

I live in NH and I don't bother with snows. You do have to recognize the limitations and not go out with unplowed streets.

As for being prepared for the "big storm" - it'll be more effective to be prepared to wait it out at home

Wennfred said:
Epi117 said:

Yep, and that's what the folks in New Orleans said about Katrina. It's better to be safe then sorry. With the biggest hurricane in history to hit P.I. Who knows you can be hit with the biggest snow storm ever, I remember the Blizzard that hit New York in 78, that was crazy.

Fred

Being prepared doesn't mean snow tires on your car. In means canned food and bottled water. Or, in my case, having a good coat, boots, and a grocery store about a mile away. :)

Wennfred said:
Take a good look at Nokian tires. They wrote the book on snow tires & Low Roll Resistance. Great tire and cost a lot less then the Bridgestone Bilzzak.

Here's an article on Nokian's fastest tire on Ice.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/EN-Fastest-On-Ice-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm currently using the Nokian Entyres, great tires so far.

Fred

I agree. Great tires! http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10728&p=264007#p264007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pkulak said:

:eek: Ice on snow makes super fast sledding, but I wouldn't risk driving on it. Maybe studded snows would work, but it's the other cars that will get you.

Places where it doesn't snow much sometimes don't have the equipment to deal with it. Here, all kinds of salt and sand spreading plow trucks go to work on it, but sometimes we still get scenes like that, especially when the storm hits during rush hours.

I'm shocked to hear that. The Ecopias are a disgrace in the snow, slush, ice, etc. No grip whatsoever off the line and terrible braking performance. The only thing I like about 'em is that they're made by Bridgestone and their eco-friendliness.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I've plowed through a lot of snow with the original Ecopias. Never had a problem. So:

Option 1. Don't get snow tires, and don't waste your money. Don't worry about it.

Well, the tires might not matter too much to me. Could be I'm just used to driving on crappy snow covered roads in crappy old cars with crappy tires and learned how to compensate. Heck, I drive slow in good weather. But I've had the LEAF out in unplowed powder, up to a foot sometimes, and she rolls right along, nice and heavy. It's a good car for going slow. I wouldn't try anything over 3-4 inches of slush or wet packed snow, and I avoid ice.

If the OP feels safer with snows, why not? But I'm too cheap to justify the expense, even with a lot of snowy days.

Since 2008, snow tires are required here from December 15th to March 15th.

Apparently, this has lowered the number of Winter accidents by 5-10%. The downside is that some people keep their winter tires on year-long to save money, so it probably decreases safety slightly in the Summer.

I have Michelin Xice i3's and only see a slight difference in range and road noise.

pkulak said:

Snow is one thing, ice is something else entirely. My octogenarian parents, who live in the Portland area (north of Beaverton), use your strategy: when roads are icy they just stay home. They lived in Alaska for eight years and Coeur d'Alene Idaho for longer than that, so they know how to drive in snow. But for a few days a year of ice in Portland, it just isn't worth it.

Back