Sirius XM Subscription -- what are YOU paying?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember to use a credit card that expires before your 6 months are up, and cancel at the end of the 6 months. Or even better, save your money and don't use them. SiriusXM is on my scumbag businesses list.

Don't use a credit card at all! Send them a check or money order. They may be able to start billing you, and even sic a collection agency on you, if you "sign up" for auto-renewal and auto-pay and your CC expires. Again, this company is the gunk on the bottom of the barrel.

I can tell you from past experience, be very careful with them.

I had five radios on my Sirius/XM account, at one time. I was catching the specials every six months and I would always call in, before my current promotional rate expired.

They will try their best to stick it to you, with those full-price rates. When you call in to cancel, they will put you on hold over and over again. Also they will tell you one thing and do another, so use the one-time CC.

Also, for those with the unlimited 'trial" subscription, I think that they send a "Kill" signal out intermittently and the radio has to be on to receive it. I have had them stay on for years with no sub, then suddenly die. Of course there is the possibility that your ESN was left off of their "kill" list.

For those interested in their hardware;

When I would call in to cancel, they would offer me all kinds of free radios, boomboxes etc. They told me that it's easy for them to give away hardware. I would then sell the stuff on ebay, after playing around with it.

As with cell phones on "plans" the actual hardware is cheap - its' the subscription that gets you. I'd love to have an XM portable unit, but not with a second account!

A number of years ago they had a "deal" for a lifetime subscription with a portable radio for something like $299. They would even let you change the subscription to a new radio five times... We bought the deal and it has worked out well. We are now on our second radio.

LeftieBiker said:
As with cell phones on "plans" the actual hardware is cheap - its' the subscription that gets you. I'd love to have an XM portable unit, but not with a second account!

Some posters commented on possibly varying duration of the trial subscription. I was wondering how long the trial of the traffic information was supposed to last,

Mine apparently only lasted a week or two, and now all the freeways show in red.

This is most annoying, as even a $100 Magellan portable GPS has lifetime traffic included from FM radio subcarriers that works just fine around here, but the navigation (that cost a lot more) is a "needs subscription". They sure didn't tell us that when demoing the cars. but there is probably a better place for any serious ranting over that!

Alan

I am paying zero. Just cancelled it this week after they tried to gouge me for 145 dollars per year.

I've actually not tried the traffic portion of XM; perhaps I should before my trial (probably) expires in 5 weeks. I primarily use Waze on my phone, and find that everything I need (it's far better than the built-in nav with it's useless "traffic" feature).

As far as XM for music: I've found nothing about the radio selection that would make me want to pay for the service.

As far as XM for music: I've found nothing about the radio selection that would make me want to pay for the service.

I had no trouble finding music I wanted to hear, in multiple genres. I'm a real commercial Hater, and appreciate the XM stations with minimal talk. OTOH, stations like Alternative Nation, with their horrible, screechy, endless promos, get kicked off my list pretty quickly.

jlv said:
I've actually not tried the traffic portion of XM; perhaps I should before my trial (probably) expires in 5 weeks. I primarily use Waze on my phone, and find that everything I need (it's far better than the built-in nav with it's useless "traffic" feature).

There is a station that plays NPR Car Talk all the time, on Serius, almost makes it worth it.

My latest 5 month music-only "subscription" is about to expire. Is it better to wait for an "invoice" or should I just call them and say I want another 5 months for $25?

LeftieBiker said:
My latest 5 month music-only "subscription" is about to expire. Is it better to wait for an "invoice" or should I just call them and say I want another 5 months for $25?
No bill will come. They will auto renew at the full rate. Better to call and ask to terminate your subscription. You will be transferred to the "do what it takes to keep them" section and you will get the same rate again.

I did this for five years at $77 a year.

Oh, I knew better than to give those crooks my credit card number! I paid by check every time, so they will indeed have to bill me. Still, I may save my blood pressure and just call them. Anyone have the best number to call for this vile task?

I have two week left on my Trial subscription. Don't plan on buying it. I like the local radio station, can't do long trips in Leaf where I would go out of the range of my AM/FM pre-sets.

For "Subscription / Auto Renew / Auto Bill" I use One Vendor Credit cards numbers for each, I have thru MasterCard SafeCard. I can turn each on/off individually, They do not get the Main CC number, so I can turn 1 off and not effect the rest or the physical card.

I got the bogus "invoice" today, and called to get my $25 (actually $30 with "fees") 5 month subscription renewed. I was told by the SalesLizard that 'there are no current offers' other than the overpriced one I got. I didn't miss a beat, but simply told him to cancel the subscription. He connected me with the 'cancellation department', and after a little back and forth, I got the same deal, for another five lousy months. It's sad what deregulation and the Republican/BankoCrat political climate has done to business ethics...

BTW it's not just Sirius/XM that does this, as AT&T U-Verse is similarly stubborn about dropping the price for current subscribers. They are willing to give you more channels/higher speeds for the same price for a limited time, but getting them to actually drop the price for the same service is pretty difficult.

Back