Siemens EVSE plug question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADVNorthWest

I just ordered a Siemens VersiCharge EVSE, which apparently has a NEMA 6-50 plug. I was going to wire a dedicated 240v circuit in my garage, with the right receptacle. I just discovered we have an unused 240v outlet, which would save me having a new one installed, but it has a NEMA 14-30 receptacle. I've searched but can't seem to find info about making this connection happen; no adapter, no details about changing the receptacle.

Hopefully someone here has prior knowledge or the electrical expertise to point me in the right direction. I"m handy at home, so I could change the receptacle if needed. Buying an adapter would also be fine with me.

Thanks for the help!

With a 30A circuit you are limited to 24A of continuous charging. Unless the Versicharge Is 3.3KW or has some way of limiting the current you can not use the circuit.

Interesting. It does look like that circuit only has a single 20A breaker. Since it's a single slot on the panel, does that mean not even 240V? That would be sad. I'm working from home today, so I might getting out my meter and check.

Is it possible this could be fixed by just re-attaching the wiring at the panel so it was 240v/40A? I assume there's a wire gauge requirement, I think #8? It's seems odd to me they would have a NEMA 14-30 receptacle on such an ordinary circuit.

Sad to think I get this close to save $$$ on a wiring project, and it turns out I can't use it.

And... I'm an idiot. The dryer circuit is actually 30A, not 20A. Hopefully I can just upgrade the breaker and change the receptacle to match the Siemens requirements.

If and only if the wiring is #6, can you upgrade the circuit to 50A, Most likely it is #10 for 30A. Putting in a bigger breaker can cause the existing wire to overheat and cause a fire.

ADVNorthWest said:
And... I'm an idiot. The dryer circuit is actually 30A, not 20A. Hopefully I can just upgrade the breaker and change the receptacle to match the Siemens requirements.
It is similar to my case. Since the dryer circuit has 30A breaker, I am pretty sure the wire size is Not #8. You will have to run a new set of #8 wires for a 40A breaker to support your EVSE. In my case, I had an unused dryer breakers (30A) and no room for main panel. I asked electrician to replace the 30A with 40A and run a set of #8 wires to garage with the proper socket for my EVSE.

You can "dial down" the max amps on the Siemens. Google for the manual. However, you are still supposed to install on a 40A circuit, even if you "dial down".

Eh, just install a real 40 or 50 amp welding plug. If the run isn't too long, it probably won't cost too much, compared to the $800 you just dropped on the actual EVSE. You get at least 30% of it back from the federal government, plus whatever WA has going on there. Go big or go home, I say. Better than worrying about pulling too many amps by mistake and burning your house down.

I have the Siemens and you can dial the ampacity to whatever you want. If your Leaf is only a 3.3kw then dial it for 16amps and be done. Stop worrying.

As for the plug, you can open up the front panel with the screws and bottom cable gland then you have access to take off the plug/cable and put on whatever you want.

Yeah you get a 30% tax credit so I would get wired for 70 amps if you can. Eventually on-board chargers are going to want that. Wire isn't that expensive and it surely is not getting cheaper. Use a licensed electrician to keep your insurance company happy.

Elephanthead said:
Yeah you get a 30% tax credit so I would get wired for 70 amps if you can. Eventually on-board chargers are going to want that. Wire isn't that expensive and it surely is not getting cheaper. Use a licensed electrician to keep your insurance company happy.

I agree.
Do it right now, and you will be happy later.

Back