Should I leave it plugged in while away?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, please don't leave it plugged in: http://bit.ly/vacstorage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for your reply. The article linked above mentioned that a battery maintainer should be used. I am not sure how seriously I should follow that. It seems unlikely to me that the 12 V battery would die in just 2 weeks.

ianlin said:
Thanks for your reply. The article linked above mentioned that a battery maintainer should be used. I am not sure how seriously I should follow that. It seems unlikely to me that the 12 V battery would die in just 2 weeks.
I believe the maintainer is only needed for longer storage intervals. If you were concerned about the 12V battery at all, you could disconnect the black terminal, as suggested in the article as well. Personally, I would not worry about a short trip like this one.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was some earlier discussion of this.

ianlin said:
The 12v battery will be dead if you leave the car plugged in. Almost guaranteed. For two weeks, the 12v battery will do fine so long as the car is not plugged in. Yes, the cycling might trim a few days off its total lifetime, but I don't think it's worth the hassle, or cost, of trying to baby it.

The best thing you can do for the traction battery is to leave it somewhere around 50% charged. Given your delivery date I assume you have a 2013. Just for your own edification, and ours, take a look at the charge % in the dash trip computer before you leave, and again when you get back. How many percentage points did it lose, if any?

Ray

ianlin said:
Does anyone know if the LEAF's 12V battery can be trickle charged via the lighter socket?

Don't do that either.
Don't leave the J1772 plugged in for days at a time, and don't try "jumping/juicing" the 12v battery from the DC accessories/lighter socket.

I personally have left my Leaf plugged in several times, from 2 weeks to 4 1/2 months. Best to start at 40-50% and plug in to 110 volt, charge 10 minutes per week. Only one time did the 12 volt battery get low, and that was after 4 months and one week. The next time I have to store for more than a couple of months I will use a battery tender.

Back