Should I buy a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ematzen

So, I'm looking to upgrade from my 2006 HCH2 to a Leaf. I live in southern California, along the coast, so not much need for heat/ac. My commute is 25 miles each way. This is my approximate commute (from google maps): http://ow.ly/bs5sS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is about 90% freeway. I drive around 70-75, though with traffic clearly slower. As you can see, pretty steady on the 5, but then lots of uphill going inland to work.

So...what are your thoughts? Would the leaf make it? Would there be room to spare, to go to the store or something like that? I don't want to charge anywhere but at home (worst cast scenario). Would I have to uber hypermile?

-E

Why wouldn't you buy a LEAF? Your situation sounds perfect. I drive much further almost all freeway (albiet not at 70-75), but at a steady speed as I'm counter commute. It does not like going uphill in slow traffic. You will gain some back by regenerating on the downhill.

Headwinds will play into the equation so consider that - having a vehicle in front of you - not tailgating will help. From my experience, you don't want to be the lead dog in a LEAF if you are concerned about range.

I'd say go for it. With a total of 50 miles and a loss of maybe 5-10 on the outside (conservative speculation) for uphill at high speeds, you have plently left to run out for a burger or something closeby at lunch.

Enjoy.

+1 what Taylorsfguy said. I think the Leaf would be the perfect commuter car for you. Also, if you have the opportunity to use HOV lanes, it's a freebie for you with the Leaf.

I see you'll be driving to my house (almost). Come out tomorrow at 9am for breakfast with fellow LEAF drivers. Hamburger Factory Restaurant, Poway. We all park across Midland Road from the train station.

The lease can be bought out, if you want to get instant tax credit from Uncle Sam. Then you have no mileage concern, if you're driving a lot.

Set your car timer to end its 100% charge just before you leave, and you'll be fine. Check out the range chart on my signature line link, and there is "an app for that."

Your situation should be perfect for the LEAF, even as the battery loses performance (and it will, but not so much in temperate coastal California).

Try your commute for a week with cruise set at 60 or 65. Might be time to exit the rat race and relax while driving efficiently.
You will need to 3 whole minutes early to arrive at about the same time.

Otherwise LEAF will work great.

sounds like my commute, except for the hill. and it is perfect.
I think you will also get over driving 75mph, totally unnecessary.

ask yourself: Do I like buying gasoline?
Then, buy a Leaf.

E,
My twice-weekly drive is 27 miles each way from Encinitas to downtown. So same distance/freeway/terrain/climate/speed. You won't have a problem.
I usually have about 8 miles still showing (I don't know if there are additional hidden miles).

If you ever want extra range, eg for a lunchtime trip, all you have to do is slow up a modest amount (eh 65 c/w 75) for a significant savings. I used to do this before I was comfortable with the fact that, although I can use 6 bars going downtown, i only get through 4 or 5 coming back. If I act as though there are 13.5 bars that seems to give me a more realistic gauge of what % is remaining.

I live just off Santa Fe Dr if you ever want to stop by and check out the Leaf. I work at home so am usually here.

Shaun

thankyouOB said:
sounds like my commute, except for the hill. and it is perfect.
I think you will also get over driving 75mph, totally unnecessary.

ask yourself: Do I like buying gasoline?
Then, buy a Leaf.
Agreed. Part of the Leaf experience (in my opinion, of course) is slowing down a bit and enjoying a nice, quiet drive. Cut back to 65 MPH, put it on cruise, and enjoy yourself!

Thanks Everyone - Much appreciated. So it will get me to work and back. Now I have to ask myself how often I need to do OTHER things to and from work. We are a two car family, so on those days I could take the prius instead. Wife doesn't drive much. But that requires coordination. it's hard to balance convenience in this equation.

-E

Don't forget that if you have access to even a 110V outlet you can trickle charge at work and increase your miles that way. If your boss is open, you could even have a 240V outlet installed at work and get the EVSE that comes with the car converted and you'd open up the options that way and maybe not have to swap cars from day to day... depending on how many extra miles of range you'd need.

ematzen said:
Thanks Everyone - Much appreciated. So it will get me to work and back. Now I have to ask myself how often I need to do OTHER things to and from work. We are a two car family, so on those days I could take the prius instead. Wife doesn't drive much. But that requires coordination. it's hard to balance convenience in this equation.

-E

ematzen said:
Thanks Everyone - Much appreciated. So it will get me to work and back. Now I have to ask myself how often I need to do OTHER things to and from work. We are a two car family, so on those days I could take the prius instead. Wife doesn't drive much. But that requires coordination. it's hard to balance convenience in this equation. -E
Your commute shouldn't be a problem - after her first day in it, your wife will be driving the Leaf.

I live in Md and was all set to buy. I have a 25 mile commute each way so it is very doable. My big reservation is not having certainty about the battery capacity after 3, 5, 10 years. With kids entering high school and college in 5 years, I need to be able to count on this car without worrying about buying another car just because of capacity loss. Has Nissan provided any certainty at all on solutions for future battery replacing or swap outs or any other long term solution for capacity loss?
Thoughts welcome - I respect all feedback from you Leaf owners out there.
Thanks.

Leaf1 said:
I live in Md and was all set to buy. I have a 25 mile commute each way so it is very doable. My big reservation is not having certainty about the battery capacity after 3, 5, 10 years.
You aren't going to get definite answers on this - only speculation. I can tell you that with over 40,000 miles on my LEAF - charging to 100% twice a day, and living in a moderate climate and driving conservatively - not 70MPH or gunning it at the lights every time, my battery charge was in the high 90% (275-280) just a few weeks ago.

Stop worrying about the future - things will likely improve, and you can always wait for the future.

If worried about long-term capacity - the most obvious solution is to lease the car... Nissan does have a favorable lease rate on the car right now.

So I tested nearly the same route today on the way to today's San Diego LEAF meet at the Hamburger Factory. My route: http://goo.gl/maps/Ercv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Very similar to your route: http://ow.ly/bs5sS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; About 1 mile shorter .

I did not use any special effort to be efficient except that I attempted to brake gradually when possible to minimize use of friction brakes. Speeds on the freeway portion were generally 60-75 mph - generally stayed in the right 2 lanes and went with the flow - typical speeds were 65-70 mph. Drove in ECO mode, HVAC was on auto set to 74 - weather was nice so according to the energy meter power draw was generally 300-800W or so. Weather was mid 70s.

I only charged to 80%.

Got to the Hamburger Factory with 4 bars gone and 3.9 mi/kWh - efficiency was as low as 3.7 mi/kWh at the end of 56 at I15 but quickly picked up on Poway's surface roads.

photo1qez.jpg

Went home the same route in reverse, 1 bar left and 4.0 mi/kWh. I believe that I only started with 5 bars remaining - had the typical 1-bar disappear after starting up which indicated that I used more like 5 bars on the way there.

photo2qfg.jpg

So - if you charge to 100%, you'll make it with energy to spare to spare even with side trips. Even charging to 80% - if I had kept speeds to 65 mph I probably would have gotten home with 2 bars left, so driving slower is the best way to manage energy consumption.

I would say the only time range might be an issue is if it's raining and you need to use the heater. Each of those can increase energy consumption by 10%. If it's raining, you'll definitely want to charge to 100%, especially since often you'll want/need to use the defroster. To minimize the effect of the heater, you can pre-heat before you leave in the morning.

There is one other thing you can do which is to take the back roads instead of the freeway - speeds will be lower, but the distance is the same so energy consumption will be less. Like this route: http://goo.gl/maps/eiHX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Key to maximizing efficiency on surface roads is to avoid hard braking.

drees said:
I would say the only time range might be an issue is if it's raining and you need to use the heater. Each of those can increase energy consumption by 10%. If it's raining, you'll definitely want to charge to 100%, especially since often you'll want/need to use the defroster. To minimize the effect of the heater, you can pre-heat before you leave in the morning.
When it is 15F outside, there is more than just energy consumption of the heater involved. The battery will also hold significantly less charge. On those days, I expect OP will be close to the edge of the car's range.

While I don't expect OP will lose too much capacity over the first 10 years in the Maryland climate, I agree with others that we just do not know. As others have said, a lease leaves the uncertainty in Nissan's hands and gives us time to learn more about what the batteries will do. By then you could look at the 2016 models of many different EVs, including the LEAF, and you will likely have even better options available.

How is a lease help the OP?.. he needs to build up a supply of handme-downs.

I think limiting the range of the kids is great idea :)

Back