Shift knob Disassembly, for L.E.D knob

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

can't wait to see that mod with the blue LEDs.

Should look awesome....

Good luck with the mod. Are the interior lights powered from the 12V battery by the way?

mwalsh said:
You should ignore the "hot-spot" reflections against the base of the shifter, because right now the LEDs are pointed down. In the actual installation they'll be pointed out, and as a result I don't think those will be there.

If you're still bothered by the light sources being too "localized" after you re-adjust them, you could probably get a more even glow by gently sanding the inner surface of the "ring" with fine sandpaper to "frost" it, diffusing the light.

Nubo said:
If you're still bothered by the light sources being too "localized" after you re-adjust them, you could probably get a more even glow by gently sanding the inner surface of the "ring" with fine sandpaper to "frost" it, diffusing the light.

You also read my mind. I was going to get the holes for the LEDs up to size using a diamond tipped rotary tool bit. That should have the same effect.

MartyOZ said:
Hi there,

can't wait to see that mod with the blue LEDs.

Should look awesome....

Good luck with the mod. Are the interior lights powered from the 12V battery by the way?

Yes, interior lights come off the 12v accessory battery. I'm going to pull power for the shifter LEDs (and illumination for the seat heater switches) from the drive mode indicator lamp. The knob will only be lit when the car's lights are on.

Finished. Pretty happy with it, but wish I'd had the full skinny before I got started. Hopefully you can learn from my missteps and it'll make it a darn sight easier for you. Full how-to to come.

Attachments

• Img_7683.jpg
    Img_7683.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 35
mwalsh said:
Finished. Pretty happy with it, but wish I'd had the full skinny before I got started. Hopefully you can learn from my missteps and it'll make it a darn sight easier for you. Full how-to to come.

Hi,

looks great.

What do you mean by having the full skinny :?:

Now all you need to do is get the blue band around the centre console glowing blue, as well....

mwalsh said:
Full how-to to come.

This is what the last three said, NEVER TO BE HEARD FROM AGAIN... :shock: :shock:

Seriously, that really ties the whole room together and I know when YOU say you'll have a how-to, it'll actually get done :)

Back