Sept Deals: New 2015 or Used 2013?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaynatheCat

Hello,

I'm trying to decide btwn a used '13 leaf or a new '15 leaf (SV or SL for both), and I'd love to get some input from forum members. You all seem like a well-informed bunch! (Sorry for writing a novella on this topic - car buying is complicated!)

I've been researching the Leaf as a replacement for my 2003 Land Rover Freelander (19mpg hwy - wonderful!...), and while there are decent enough deals on both the new '15's and the used '13's, the purchase price differential (~9k) has me pretty split right now. I've had some issues with CPO vehicles needing service visits (not Nissans) within 12 months of purchase, so my wife and I generally lean towards new these days with beefed up warranties (ie bought new '13 Honda Civic w/ 10yr-120k full extended warranty, very happy she is covered for foreseeable future).

However, this Leaf seems to be a different animal.

1) CPO Leaf is probably more reliable than ICE midsize equivalent considering drastically simplified EV drivetrain.
2) Leaf is comparatively light on sales volume and history, increasing uncertainty on the current reported reliability (which seems good).
3) '13 battery warranty seems pretty robust - I'm in the Rust belt, so i'm not too worried about SW area battery degradation as much.

Considering this, my purchase decision hinges on these points:

1) Typ commute is <10 miles Round Trip, but will increase for 18month stint to 75 miles roundtrip (East Side CLE to Akron and back). This seems close to the limit for a '15, and probably won't do in the extreme Jan and Feb cold, but I am OK with that. I can L1 charge at work. +1 for '15
2) I'm planning to keep the car >5 years (drive it into the ground, hopefully), so resale is not important. +1 for '15
3) Price differential (~14.5k for used '13, ~22 k for new after Fed Credit) is pretty staggering, and I'm not sure it's justified if all I really gain is a few years on the battery in the '15. +1 or more for '13

I'm not too interested in waiting for '16 because I don't want to risk losing the 0% 72mo Nissan financing on the '15's or the 5000 cash back deals, although I suspect they may continue or renew a deal of this magnitude beyond 9/30. Plus, my current car is a ticking time bomb and the longer I wait, the greater the risk of blowing head gaskets or a tranny and thus blowing the small trade-in value it currently has.

Thanks for reading!

Hi Rayna,
I drive a 2013, so I'm a bit biased :)
Love the car and I think for the $ it's the better choice.
But your 75 mile round trip commute is going to be tough with either car! Even with L1 charging at work, that would be a stretch in the coldest months (you could drain your battery to 30 or 35% on the drive out, not sure you'd get enough juice for the return trip (remember that the Leaf uses power when parked outside in the cold to warm the battery).
As long as you have an ICE backup, you should be fine with either car, but if it's your only car, you might be miserable at times :)

good luck, let us know what you choose!

Hi. new guy here. I am also considering either a 2013 or 2015. But the 2015 has 4,000 miles, and dealer is asking $17,400 drive out. It is a S with quick charge port. The 2013 is a SV with 26,000 miles for $12,400.

Is it worth the extra $5k to get the 2015 with 22k fewer miles? The SV's display and larger alloy wheels aren't that important to me.

manich said:
Hi. new guy here. I am also considering either a 2013 or 2015. But the 2015 has 4,000 miles, and dealer is asking $17,400 drive out. It is a S with quick charge port. The 2013 is a SV with 26,000 miles for $12,400.

Is it worth the extra $5k to get the 2015 with 22k fewer miles? The SV's display and larger alloy wheels aren't that important to me.

There is one feature missing on the Leaf S that may be of benefit to you, depending on your commute length, and that is the hybrid heater system. The Leaf S uses a power-hungry resistive-only heater system which cuts range in winter significantly. The 2013+ SV and SL use a heat-pump system that is much more efficient than the resistive-only heater system down to below freezing; I've seen figures of anywhere between 5F and 20 F before that efficiency advantage drops off. If you have a short commute (say 30 miles round trip or less), then the Leaf S would work.

Although you don't live in an area like Phoenix or Vegas, the 2015 models are promised to better tolerate heat than earlier cars. The 2013 may have a bar or even two gone by now depending on where it once resided, plus the warranty is now 2+ years and 26k miles shorter than a new car, vs. under a year and only 4k miles shorter for the '15.

If you are going to get the '15, I would look at what you can get a new one for. Nissan is offering cash on the hood incentives on closeout 2015's that, after government incentives, might meet or even exceed the used price of the one with 4k miles. Of course that means waiting until next tax season to get the $7500 off, and depending on your particular tax situation you may not get all of that back. But you can also lease (which will get the $7500 taken right off the top) and then later purchase the car if you still like it.

I was exactly in the same debate last week. I ended purchasing the SV yesterday instead of S. The reason comes down to that Hybrid heater that S do not have. I live in the north so I need heater in winter. When it's freezing in the car to conserve power, I know for sure I will be kicking myself if I have purchase the S. Also, having different timers for different days when to charge, cool, or heat the car is a big plus.

The warrantee difference between the two cars is what I see as the difference. IMO I have not seen a aftermarket warrantee that covers the parts of an ev that need coverage. The price difference between 13 an 15 sv or sl is not that great to make the difference in price. Then figure in the questions on history and range. The new car has a lot of the risk taken out. The new car is the best choice with the good heater. Your 75 mile trip should be ok as long as you can charge on each end. and have l2 at home to charge. have fun with the new car .

The hybrid heater worked well and didn't use too much range. One morning this week my car windows were fogged over and I had to do it while driving. Defrosting was very efficient. Carwings (hopefully will be continued) makes plugged-in defrosting easy.

EVforRobert said:
The hybrid heater worked well and didn't use too much range. One morning this week my car windows were fogged over and I had to do it while driving. Defrosting was very efficient. Carwings (hopefully will be continued) makes plugged-in defrosting easy.
Note that the OP is in Cleveland not the Bay Area, so they'll get less benefit from the heat pump in winter. Early spring and late fall will be the times the heat pump gives them the most advantage for range, although daytime winter driving will also see an advantage - January and February are the months when the lows are often in the single digits or below zero. However, with a 75 mile commute in that climate, I wouldn't recommend a 24kWh LEAF with only L1 at one end, especially since the OP plans to keep it for 5+ years. I think the best solution is to try to stretch their current car until December sales, and get a 2016 SV with the 30kWh battery (but then I don't have to pay for it), as it will remain a satisfactory car for them for much longer, and the 8 yr./100k capacity warranty may well save them thousands in battery replacement costs compared to the 5 yr./60k warranty, as Cleveland may be borderline on qualifying for a free replacement.

GRA said:
... I think the best solution is to try to stretch their current car until December sales, and get a 2016 SV with the 30kWh battery (but then I don't have to pay for it), as it will remain a satisfactory car for them for much longer, and the 8 yr./100k capacity warranty may well save them thousands in battery replacement costs compared to the 5 yr./60k warranty, as Cleveland may be borderline on qualifying for a free replacement.
+10
A 24 kWh, 21 kWh usable LEAF is a bad idea for the 75 mile round trip.
Even a brand new 2015 with hybrid heater.
The OP needs the 2016 SV or SL with the 30 kWh pack for this use.

RaynatheCat said:
I am OK with that. I can L1 charge at work. +1 for '15

There are precious few L2 and no QC in your area per PlugShare in case you can't use the L1 at work (someone objects to "stealing electricity", an overly strict security guard, it breaks).

As has been brought up above, the Bay Area is different, and in my experience rather friendly to EV's from a temperature standpoint. I was able to easily exceed the EPA electric range in my Volt by 20%.

Good luck in your choice.

Back