Semi-official 2013 USDM LEAF range: 84 miles @ 100% SOC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TLeaf said:
I've got to agree with you, Dave.. You reach a point where there's just too much information and the data no longer becomes a useful factor in making a purchasing decision. I think the old 100% number for range was the right approach for a BEV with the only addition I would make being a little asterisk next to the number indicating that YMMV based upon charging regime, battery age, heater usage, outside termperature, tire pressure, etc., etc., etc.

Dare I say that this is a secret conspiracy on the part of the oil conglomerates of the world to further reduce the marketed range of EVs????? :twisted:

agreed. we cant just do sidetrips for EVs and ignore the gas cars.

so its either do the same thing for all of them or none of them. I have long thought a number comparing Winter/Summer was applicable but realized the difficulty of that in the past due to a huge disparity in A/C efficiency from model to model but then again, that is the characteristic of the car right?

we all know that the EPA figure is a relative term and YMMV is the key point that we work with and over the years, we have all developed our own "Adjustment" to the official number (except that Honda owner in CA...) and to now completely change the formulation to something that nearly all are unaware that even exists is like saying

your Ford will get you 400 miles on a tankful unless you only fill it to 3/4th then it will only get 300 miles.

now, read that sentence. does it feel necessary?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Sorry to be a slouch, I'm trying to read through all this, can somebody net it out: If you aren't using the heat, is there any reason a fully charged 2013 will go further than a fully charged 2011 or 2012? Was there something about the brakes having less drag?

car is lighter
more efficient
more regen
better performance at most traveled speeds of ?? dont remember. like 35-50 mph or something like that.

now, keep in mind, the test also incorporates winter driving although its not clear exactly how its tested (with heat or whatever) so part of the improvement will be due to more efficient heater but if weighted equally the winter part is only good for 20%? but that is also not made clear. i would provide a link to EPA test but that has been done several times and the link doesnt tell us how the 84 was arrived at but i guess its still interesting reading anyway

Thanks dave, reddy and drees for the responses. So a small gain in range is expected comparing no heat to no heat, and of course a substantial gain when heat is being used.

Back