SCAQMD, "Zero-Emission Transportation Techn Forum"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVLeaf

For those that are in and around the Southern California/Los Angeles metropolitan area ... and have some free time this Wed., 4/20/11, 9-4p. Read below about this open-to-the-public forum.

I plan to attend at least part of the day.

http://www.aqmd.gov/tao/ConferencesWorkshops/ZeroEmissionForum/ZeroEmission_Announcement.pdf

You are invited to attend!!!

Zero-Emission Transportation Technology Forum and Roundtable Discussion

April 20, 2011 (9:00 am – 4:00 pm)
South Coast AQMD Headquarters Auditorium
21865 Copley Drive Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Southern California will require broad deployment of zero and near zero-emission technologies to attain federal air quality standards. A transformation to electric power and other forms of clean energy for transportation and stationary equipment will be needed. The South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) is actively working on this effort with the California Air Resources Board, Southern California Association of Governments and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, as well as with other government and private sector stakeholders.

To help define a path for this transformation, the SCAQMD is hosting a Zero-Emission Transportation Technology Forum and Roundtable Discussion to bring together experts on technology, transportation, and energy from government and industry to help define a path for this transformation. The Forum will consist of sessions covering passenger transport, freight transport, and energy demand and generation, as well as a roundtable discussion of policies needed to achieve a transformation to clean energy. Among the questions the forum will seek to answer are: What are the transportation technology options? What are transportation and energy infrastructure needs? What partnerships can and should be fostered? How can stakeholders work together to develop the necessary resources? What clean energy co-benefits will accrue to business and the economy that can be fostered and built upon to assist in transitioning to zero-emission technologies?

Information obtained from the Forum will provide valuable information and perspectives to help focus our efforts in technology advancement, deployment incentive program design, and most importantly, in the development of the Air Quality Management Plan. It will also provide valuable input to other agencies and stakeholders in the development and implementation of effective regional policy and planning to expedite the commercialization of zero-emission transportation options.

The SCAQMD encourages anyone interested in this topic to attend this free forum. Copies of the agenda will be posted on the SCAQMD’s Technology Forum/Roundtable website at:

http://www.aqmd.gov/tao/ConferencesWork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... hforum.htm

If you have any questions, please contact Peter Greenwald at (909) 396-2111.

Well, there's not much money to be had in my day job right now, if I had to be honest. I'm only working 3 days a week and am on unpaid furlough the other 2.

As a matter of fact, and the reason why I couldn't possibly show up in Diamond Bar (so if that is supposed to be me and they haven't told me..... :lol: ), I'll be doing a little paid side work on Wednesday morning - driving a car fitted with some new kind of infotainment system from a [certain electronics manufacturer], as part of a consumer research study.

JPV, are there any charge points available at the facility?

I might consider attending but I'm slightly daunted at the 62 mile freeway round trip. I guess I could drive slowly in ECO and have no problems.

Thanks!

It's only 73 RT for me, I think, but longer if I pick you up.

I might be able to meet you at HTB on 17th in Santa Ana, and ...

But, it could be incredibly boring, or just painfully frustrating.

Boomer23 said:

I might consider attending but I'm slightly daunted at the 62 mile freeway round trip. I guess I could drive slowly in ECO and have no problems.

Thanks!

62 mile round trip shouldn't be any problem at all - I do that kind of distance every day (though without the elevation change through Brea into Diamond Bar and back). But, yes, they do have charging opportunities there, but not J1772 AFAIK.

In this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1168&start=7

LEAFER says that they have pretty much what is listed in various online databases, but with one glaring error, in that there are 14-50 240v outlets. So if you've Ingineer's modded L1 EVSE and the appropriate plug combo, you'll be good to go. Otherwise, you could snag a good few hours of L1.

Boomer23 said:

I agree with mwalsh that the 62 mi. RT should be no problem. The quicker drain of kwh going up the 'hill' from Brea to DBar might initially be unnerving. But, coming back down hill on the return will involve a bit of higher mi/kwh mileage (not to mention the continued drop in elev. to the 57/5).

Having said that, there are currently no upgraded J1772's at the AQMD. However, there is at least one 120V/240V outlet by the front visitor parking area, and about a dozen 120/240 under the solar panels carport area.

I will make a 14-50 adapter cord (for the Mod-L1 EVSE) today!

I made an adapter (for EV Charging Only) with a 14-50, plug, removing the Neutral pin from the plug, so that it will fit into a 14-30, 14-50, or 14-60 receptacle (socket).

The 14-30 socket (4-pin) is typically used for an electric dryer after about 1996 (the 3-pin 10-30 socket was used earlier).

The 14-50 is often found at RV Parks, I believe, to provide 240v power.

hmmm...is April 20th some sort of significant day I am unaware of?

i have show with WA State Economic Development Council on thurs as well to show Leaf. but this is in Oly

After vacillating some, I decided to drive up to the conference today. JPV, thanks for letting us know about it.

I only attended, along with JPV, the intro and the first panel, hosted by (not the REAL :lol: ) Michael Walsh on bringing the passenger and commuter sectors closer to zero emissions. Nice discussion and slides from representatives from Nissan, Honda, Metrolink (our version of commuter rail), Foothill Transit (bus transportation for the San Gabriel Valley), and Mark Duvall from the Electric Power Research Institute.

They had one of Foothill Transport's $milllion Ecoliner electric buses on display that uses an Aerovironment Fast Charger that amazingly recharges the bus in five minutes! Pretty amazing. Not sure what voltage that is using.

Thanks for the encouragement on driving range in my LEAF. It was a 62 mile round trip and I was able to use L1 trickle charging at AQMD's solar canopy/EV charging stations. I think I would have been able to L2 charge if I had the Ingineer mod to my L1 EVSE. I put in 2 hours of L1 while I listened to the panel discussion and gained one bar of charge. I got home with three bars left and 23 miles range showing after the 62 mile round trip, so I felt comfortable taking a 20 mile round trip to my favorite cafe at the beach for lunch. That involved a drive over the coastal hills at Newport Coast, but I wasn't too worried. So I wound up putting 82 miles on the LEAF, and ended up home with one bar left and 9 miles of range showing.

I probably should have stayed around during the lunch hour at the AQMD to show off the LEAF. They didn't have an EV show planned, but they were showing off the Ecoliner bus and it was a perfect audience. But I decided to skip the second session and leave. Oh well, opportunity to spread the LEAF word lost, I guess.

Back