SB 209 and SB 880 clones for AZ (condo & apartment EVSE)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulScott

A Nissan West Coast project manager was meeting with some folks in Arizona regarding EV planning and the question of California's SB 209 and SB 880 came up. These are the two recently passed laws that mandate that condo HOAs and apartment landlords allow a resident to install EVSE as long as the resident pays the full cost, indemnifies the HOA/landlord against claims and takes out an insurance policy against damage.

The planners wanted to know if there have been any instances where an HOA or landlord tried to prevent someone from installing EVSE. I have a couple of my customers who had this happen, but they want to know how pervasive this problem is. I realize this will be anecdotal, but if you know of this problem happening to anyone, please let me know. I suspect it's more prevalent than we think, it's just that many of the affected people never pursued getting the car because of it.

I hear about more people shying away because of the cost to install an EVSE in a multi-unit dwelling rather than being told "no"...Especially if their parking place is far away from their unit or meter room.

Randy said:
I hear about more people shying away because of the cost to install an EVSE in a multi-unit dwelling rather than being told "no"...Especially if their parking place is far away from their unit or meter room.
This is going to happen, but unfortunately, a lot of them do so without doing due diligence to determine the actual cost. An experienced installer, such as William Korthof, would be able to find out if there are any low cost work arounds.

The purpose of the two laws is for those folks who "could" install, but are told they can't by HOAs and landlords. We want those people to be able to go electric, too.

Hi Paul
I know of one guy living in a tower in marina del Rey who was told no by condo HOA. At our condo in Lincoln heights the HOA said yes. This was pre legislation. Our spaces were close to meter room so it worked out. William did the work. Install was a 240 plug on wall at head of parking spaces in a locked box. No hard wired evse. The circuit connects to a separate dwp meter in the meter room. Billing to us is separate from billing to the condo unit. Essentially, condo unit has 2 meters.

Kathleen

Kataphn said:
Hi Paul
I know of one guy living in a tower in marina del Rey who was told no by condo HOA. At our condo in Lincoln heights the HOA said yes. This was pre legislation. Our spaces were close to meter room so it worked out. William did the work. Install was a 240 plug on wall at head of parking spaces in a locked box. No hard wired evse. The circuit connects to a separate dwp meter in the meter room. Billing to us is separate from billing to the condo unit. Essentially, condo unit has 2 meters.

Kathleen
I recently posted more info about the law which could help your friend make his case: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back