santa monica parking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

Mike Walsh, help me.
I tried the search engine and looked through the EVSE files, but I cant find your item on the EVSE at Santa Monica Place.
Is it free to enter and use?
I am there all day on Tuesday.

thankyouOB said:
Mike Walsh, help me.
I tried the search engine and looked through the EVSE files, but I cant find your item on the EVSE at Santa Monica Place.

My recollection is that the first two hours are free. Don't know what the hourly rate or maximums are beyond that.

mwalsh said:
thankyouOB said:
Mike Walsh, help me.

My recollection is that the first two hours are free. Don't know what the hourly rate or maximums are beyond that.
Thanks.

I was there 2 wkends ago. I parked for 5 1/2 hrs for $6, to charge for enough juice to get back to Tustin. I got there around 1pm Sat. and found all of the space open but when I left at around 7 pm, 4 spots for EV were actually taken by ICE vehicle. We had a schedule to keep and there we no attendance otherwise we would have reported those cars.

Weekend nights are very bad for SMP stations getting ICEd. They will tow if you report/describe the cars but it's risky if you show up in need of a charge.

TRONZ said:
Weekend nights are very bad for SMP stations getting ICEd. They will tow if you report/describe the cars but it's risky if you show up in need of a charge.
The signage is terrible--ICEd very often--I am a local, and run by there often to grab lunch or hit the farmers market.

My experience with the Broadway and 4th lot is that not only are the spaces often ICEd, but there have often been Volts and LEAFs just parked, not even charging--which is a certain kind of frustration.

There are alternates in SM, one being the pay lot on pier, one 120V and one L2, and then the civic center parking lot that is also pay but most often not occupied... Also the Toyota Dealership (friendly but biz hours only) and SM Nissan (sometimes off at night), and at times in the past, lot locked off.

In a pinch, 120VAC outlet at a supermarket or drugstore exterior vending machine outlet for emergencies. Better have a blanket and a book.

JimSouCal said:
TRONZ said:
The signage is terrible--ICEd very often--I am a local, and run by there often to grab lunch or hit the farmers market.

what about your house, Jim?

thankyouOB said:
JimSouCal said:
TRONZ said:

what about your house, Jim?

At home, it is a 120 plug (have the upgraded 240 EVSE but haven't pulled from the old dryer plug yet as it means rewiring for the 3 pin style 240 plug which hasn't been a pressing need)...

It's fun to get out and grab the free EV charging, and as a part of the process, chat with the community, who are always asking about the LEAF. Santa Monica has several old paddle style connectors, (Ralphs, Montana Ave, Virginia Ave Park, et al), and once they get updated, in the course of getting groceries, eating dinner, all of the charging could be had with little or no effort--there are costs, of course, but they are not out of pocket.

I've charged at the Pier, SM Place, DWP (meeting), work (also in SM), civic center courthouses, etc. Not so much at home--at the PV is installed, maybe more. But when the car is sitting around, why not find a parking place that charges.

For back up, I was suggesting the pirating of electrons at the markets and drugstore as a general emergency strategy when out and about in wider environs. I have often thought, what if the charger I plan on using is not working--and I realized, there is electricity all over the place. For example, I have an 80 mile run set up next week: down to Torrance, then San Pedro, back up to IKEA Carson, and then home. There is a solo chargepoint at the Toyota Museum on Van Ness--if it is not working, I might need about 10 more miles if I drive at FWY speeds, and the last thing I want to do is head into LAX to try and charge to make it home.

Note: Starting Oct 1st, Santa Monica parking is free in this structure for only 1.5 hours instead of 2...

I haven't been to those chargers lately, but I have been frequenting the Santa Monica civic center chargers, that lot is only $5 on weekends and after hours, usually plenty of spots for charging.

-Matt

Back