RMI: Pulling Back the Veil on EV Charging Station Costs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

Came across this informative article on charging infrastructure cost - future articles on the topic should also be informative:

RMI: Pulling Back the Veil on EV Charging Station Costs

Summary: Public charging infrastructure is expensive! Not much that we didn't already know, but it does break down the costs for various installs nicely. Here are some average costs:

Home station: ~$1200 - biggest portion is the EVSE

Interesting that they split up parking garage / flat lot installation since parking garages are typically much cheaper than flat lots since you can surface mount conduit parking garages, but have to trench for parking lots.

Parking Garage Install
Single public station: ~$5500
Five public stations: ~$4000/station
Biggest portion of cost is the EVSE at ~$2000 and labor accounting for much of the rest.

Parking Lot Install
Single public station: ~$9000
Five public stations: ~$5700/station
Biggest portion of cost is "other labor" which I assume are costs related to trenching.

Curbside DC Fast Charger: ~$60,000
Charging station at ~$22k and transformer at ~$17k are the big costs here. Labor is not far behind.

The article also notes maintenance costs - ~$300/yr for L2 station and $1-2000 for a DCQC.

All this really highlights is that installing more stations at single locations is still the way to go, both from a cost per station perspective, but also when you account for the fact that you can sustain much higher utilization rates without having someone find that all stations are busy as well.

Back