Returning lease, should I fix the paint chips?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScorpioLeaf

I'm returning the 2013 Leaf next month and planning to get the inspection done at the beginning of the month.

Car is in a pretty good shape except few paint chips on the rear bumper. I read Nissan's leaf lease return guide and they do allow chips as wear and tear item but does not specify the acceptable size. I'm attaching few images here.

If you know or have any experience with returning Leaf with paint chips let me know. I have already ordered the touch up paint to fix it but not sure if I can do good enough job to hide it completely. Any paint touch up pointers would be great too.

Size of these paint chips are little less than size of a quarter.

I wouldn't even consider spending a dime on it unless the inspection indicates damage above what they consider normal wear.
This may have changed since back when we turned in our lease but they used to say you were allowed an *additional* $500 of "excess wear" plus waving the termination fee if you bought or leased another Nissan. The last thing you want to do is needlessly spend money on a car you are giving back.

We're not buying another Leaf or Nissan so that $500 excesses wear waiver won't apply.

I just want to try to fix it so it won't be noticeable. If this chip is acceptable and would pass inspection then I won't even try.

Don't want to get hit with the high charges for this chip if it can be fixed easily.

If a scratch "catches the fingernail" then they charge for it. You might try a little careful wet sanding and buffing. Touchup paint isn't allowed, but a body shop might do that part only for $150 or so.

Back