Reservations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyD

First off, hello to everyone on this site! :mrgreen: This is my first post and I am seriously considering getting a Nissan Leaf.

A bit about myself, I am a 20 year old from OMaha, Nebraska and know that I should not expect an Leafs' until the fourth quarter of 2011. I drive a Dodge Nitro right now and can't wait to switch over to an electric car. :)

Now, I want to apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum, but I was not sure where else to post this (I was going to post in the "Ask Nissan" forum but it is locked). So, my question is has there been any word on WHEN Nissan is going to allow their next round of Reservations for the Leaf? I have been working for the last year extra hard trying to get my money ready to buy this bad boy.

Admins- If you need to move this thread to another forum I want to apologize up front! I'm sorry!

Any answers to this question would be really appreciated! Along with how the whole process goes after you place down you $100 (?) Reservation. Once again THANKS and, possibly, SORRY!!!

Nice to meet you all! :D

Welcome to the forum. I'm not following future orders however I'm sure someone here can address your question.

The regular forum search is pretty useless, but there is also a custom Google search that usually finds the topic of interest. Searching for "reopen reservations" I find:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2619
what state is the next to be able to order?

and

"In order to fulfill interest and meet demand in initial launch markets, Nissan plans to reopen reservations in the first half of 2011 as well as shift timing of additional markets until the second half of 2011."
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2088

Hope this helps...

Thanks man! Helped a lot.

Now, with that I have a question I am obviously living in OMaha, Nebraska (4th quarter :( ). So will that mean I can RESERVE in the spring, but not 'order' until a later date? Or will I still have to wait to reserve?

Once again, thanks for the help guys!

MikeyD said:
So, my question is has there been any word on WHEN Nissan is going to allow their next round of Reservations for the Leaf? I have been working for the last year extra hard trying to get my money ready to buy this bad boy.
Nissan has perpetually given minimal information on timing of anything.
Your best shot is to sign up on the Nissan website and wait.
That is about what we all have been doing for a year or more now. You need a lot of patience, good luck.

Thanks!

Huge environmentalist here. I feel a bit guilty not buying American made vehicles in this economy (my first car was a Pontiac Sunfire (hand me down from a family friend), then went to my Dodge Nitro) and to find out that a good portion of the Leaf was made in Detroit made my decision a lot easier. I liked the Volt, but didn't like the gas portion of it. I want(ed) a 100% EV and you get that with the Leaf. It was a no brainer for me.

Now, the wait is the worst. Living in a rather 'non EV friendly' state (Nebraska) has its downfalls. So, being one of the "Forgotten 36" is not a surprise to me. Just have to wait for that 'Now accepting Reservations' email!!!! Which I am hoping comes soon.

MikeyD said:
Thanks!

Huge environmentalist here. I feel a bit guilty not buying American made vehicles in this economy (my first car was a Pontiac Sunfire (hand me down from a family friend), then went to my Dodge Nitro) and to find out that a good portion of the Leaf was made in Detroit made my decision a lot easier. I liked the Volt, but didn't like the gas portion of it. I want(ed) a 100% EV and you get that with the Leaf. It was a no brainer for me.

Now, the wait is the worst. Living in a rather 'non EV friendly' state (Nebraska) has its downfalls. So, being one of the "Forgotten 36" is not a surprise to me. Just have to wait for that 'Now accepting Reservations' email!!!! Which I am hoping comes soon.

Yes a lot of us probably would like to buy a US car, but unfortunately they didn't take the lead on EVs. The planet is in this thing together, so there is really no bad choice, but fortunately Nissan is also bringing a lot of jobs to the US to build the LEAF, and if we didn't buy the first ones from Japan, then I doubt they would go through with building a dedicated LEAF and battery plant in the good old USA.

MikeyD, In addition to signing up on the Nissan site, If I was in your position, I would put my name in with your favorite local Nissan dealer. You might get lucky and get an "orphan". Also IMHO, I don't think it's an absolute given that Nissan will continue with the online Leaf ordering process once they ramp up to full production and fill orders for the current people with reservations. They could chose to revert standard ordering through a dealer. I think that's particularly likely in the "forgotten 36". Then you would be first in line at you local dealer.

I've been trying to not look at a Smart Car or Prius, because I am dying to get a new car (especially something that runs on as little gas as possible). I put my name in with a local dealer and he said that he is hoping Nissan might allow them to try out the Leaf in my cold state before 2012. So who knows.

I am trying to keep strong and wait for Reservations to launch back up, but it seems to take forever (which I fully expect it to not open until April/May). Once they do launch the Reservations back up, do you all suspect us "Forgotten 36" will be allowed to Reserve?

Also, how exactly does the Reservation process work?

You all rock, thanks for putting up with my anxiety! haha

MikeyD said:
Once they do launch the Reservations back up, do you all suspect us "Forgotten 36" will be allowed to Reserve?
Nissan watchers haven't been all that good at predicting what they were going to do or when they were going to do it, and Nissan isn't saying.

Also, how exactly does the Reservation process work?
With a lot more waiting. But then they may use the online reservation process only for the initial launch which is so supply constrained, and later you'll buy a car just by talking to your dealer(s).

Dare I suggest you buy a used Prius to drive for a year, and then trade it in for a new Leaf? There should be a lot of used Priuses on the market in Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, and Tennessee. And face it, as far as cost of ownership goes a used almost-anything is cheaper than a new almost-anything. A Prius doesn't use much gas either; just a lot more gas than your new Leaf will use. :)

INtersting thing i learned today. Here in Omaha, Nebraska we are selling the Electric Smart Car, well not selling it but leasing it. For $2500 the Charging Dock will be installed and then you can sign up for different periods of Leasing.

I am strongly considering a 12 Month lease, because I would have a charging dock installed, and I suspect with great certainty that us in the "Forgotten 36" (at least here in Nebraska) will probably have the Leaf or at least have it Ordered by then.

Just some interesting information I thought you all might like to know.

So, after having my Cousin (who is a mechanic at the Local SMART Dealership) did some investigation for me, I can officially say NO THANKS.

First off, the Electric Smart Car is going to be sold at $48,000, yes I said $48,000. Crazzzy high price, especially since I think the Smart Cars are VERY reasonably priced cars.

Second off, there is one and only one contract. It is a 4 year, non-negotiable contract. $2,500 down at the beginning, this covers the installment of the Charging Dock. Then there is a $599 monthly lease payment.

Now here is the kicker, after your 4 year contract ends you can NOT pay for the car and keep it as your own, in fact you have to give the car back... BUT not just do you give the car back to the Dealer, but it is HAS to be SMASHED after giving it back.

If you want a Smart Electric, wait till 2012, when they will be out and you can just buy one. Even though I think the price tag is 100% unreasonable.

So, I think I will just patiently wait for the chance to Reserve a Leaf. I don't think anyone should complain anymore! haha

Just wanted to chime in from a Dealer view, and a bigger dealer view at that. Based on what I see the reservation system has to open soon. Maybe the same time as last year 4/20ish. Based on the volume of cars I expect to receive and can see inbound I'm likely to be done with my orders by June-July. So what then? I think the timing may be to re-open during the frenzy of these large deliveries so reservationist will actually be able to see one and others actually taking delivery around the same time. The best part is that I anticipate is the reservation and order happenning simultaneously. We have seen Jan orders scheduled for May deliveries. With production ramped up I expect a May order and an August delivery. Wouldn't that be something?

mossyleaf said:
The best part is that I anticipate is the reservation and order happenning simultaneously.

So you think they are going to drop the "home assessment by AV" as part of the process before ordering?

mossyleaf said:
Just wanted to chime in from a Dealer view, and a bigger dealer view at that. Based on what I see the reservation system has to open soon. Maybe the same time as last year 4/20ish. Based on the volume of cars I expect to receive and can see inbound I'm likely to be done with my orders by June-July. So what then? I think the timing may be to re-open during the frenzy of these large deliveries so reservationist will actually be able to see one and others actually taking delivery around the same time. The best part is that I anticipate is the reservation and order happenning simultaneously. We have seen Jan orders scheduled for May deliveries. With production ramped up I expect a May order and an August delivery. Wouldn't that be something?

Looks like we're reading the same tea leaves, Leon.

mossyleaf said:

I sure hope you are correct! I would love to place a Reservation, especially order, within the next few months. I will be eagerly awaiting the month of April to see what happens.

Yes, reservation + order at the same time makes sense. AV can start their assessments afterwards.

Infact there is no need for reservation.

Back