Replacement Rim Recommendations with TPMS Sensors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

I am buying some winter tires and want to get a second set of rims to ease swapout. Does anyone have a recommendation of rims that are light and reasonably priced? The stock rims are around $275 each, which is too costly. I don't want a set of rims that are heavier than the stock ones and lighter ones would be great. The size on the stock rims is 16"x6.5" wheel, 5x114.3 bolt pattern, +40mm offset, 66.5mm hub.

I am going to use Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires in the stock 205/55-16 for the winter tires. I realize that I will need a second set of 315MHz TPMS for the rims and the Nissan Part number is 40700-1LA0C, which are available for around $100 each. I found an OEM version under the Part Number 1216-10 on eBay for around $70 each. Does anyone have a cheap source for the TPMS sensors? I plan to use Discount Tire because they will do the swaps for free along with synch-up the TPMS.

ALY62316U85

Hi Tom,
$98 each is what I come up with at my favorite Nissan Parts place, about the same as what you mentioned...

http://www.factorynissanparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you'd be interested in going non-Nissan, then OEWheels has a set of 4 for $200...You just need to see which ones will work....

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_5/TPMS-Sensors-sets-for-Nissan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy said:
OEWheels has a set of 4 for $200

Randy,
I like the OEWheels price for TPMS sensors, I just didn't see exactly the model for the Leaf. I bet if I called, they would know.

Any leads on light-weight rims for the Leaf?

Thanks!

There is a whole thread on lightweight wheels, though I doubt they are reasonably priced. Do a search for "volk"

turbo2ltr said:
There is a whole thread on lightweight wheels, though I doubt they are reasonably priced. Do a search for "volk"

I have read that thread and it isn't helpful talking more about non-standard sized rims. I am looking for nothing fancy, just cheap and light rims for winter tires.

Just ignore the TPM and keep an eye on the tires the old fashioned way.. cover up the warning light with a piece of 3M electrical tape, it wont leave any residue.

This thread talks about winter tires and a low cost replacement for the rims:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the above thread it turns out that a 90s Nissan 240SX uses the same size rims as a Leaf. Check around your local recycled auto parts store and see what they want for a set.. the old rims look very light and are made by Enkei for Nissan.

Randy, OEWheels does not have a TPMS sensor for the Leaf. I e-mailed them and that was their answer. I find it hard to believe that none of the other Nissan ones will work on the Leaf, but that was their answer.

I guess we are talking about $100/wheel or tape over the dash light.

Thanks Tom...
I suspect that some or many would work but you would just need to try them. After all, why would Nissan use different units in different cars? If you went without, would that be a problem? Anyone else tried it?

A couple weeks ago I bolted up my steel rims with Blizzak tires that used to be on a Mazda. I drove a week and a half that way. The warning light came on pretty quick, but no other problems.

Herm said:
Just ignore the TPM and keep an eye on the tires the old fashioned way.. cover up the warning light with a piece of 3M electrical tape, it wont leave any residue.

This thread talks about winter tires and a low cost replacement for the rims:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the above thread it turns out that a 90s Nissan 240SX uses the same size rims as a Leaf. Check around your local recycled auto parts store and see what they want for a set.. the old rims look very light and are made by Enkei for Nissan.
The wheels are from an S14 ('95-'98 Nissan 240SX), pre-'95 are 4x114.3 bolt pattern. They are cheap since most guys that modify their S14's are looking to get rid of the OEM wheels and tires to opt for bigger wheels for wider tires. The good thing about these wheels is that Nissan uses hub-centric wheels, so even if you have the same 5x114.3 bolt pattern but not the same hub bore, you'll transfer some of the loads via the lugs instead of the lip of the hub. Also, a properly hub-centric wheel offers better balance at higher speeds (no need to worry about that w/ the Leaf). I've used aftermarket wheels that aren't hub centric (they usually come w/ an 80 mm bore vs Nissan's 66.5 mm) w/o problem on other Nissans so I don't know how important it is to remain hub-centric. You can buy inserts for most brands that will match the 66.5mm Nissan bore, I use those on aftermaket wheels in another Nissan. I think Tirerack and/or Discount Tire sell them, I got mine from one of them, I can't recall.

Some other wheels that might work in a 16" dia; Z32 ('90-'96 Nissan 300ZX) , HP10(?) ('91-'97 Infiniti G20), 2000-ish Nissan Altima, pre-2001 Nissan Maxima. Probably browsing the wiki pages of those makes can tell if they are usable. If anyone does it, please post your findings.

I found a source of TPMS sensors for less than $70 each. Nissan wants about double that.

http://tiresensorwarehouse.com/factory-oe-replacement-infiniti-nissan-tpms-tire-pressure-monitoring-sensor-1216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still would like to see some for about half that cost. There is someone on eBay selling the same thing for the same price.

I found a set of 2008 Altima rims that are about the same with a little different offset that I bought on Craigs List for $200. I am going to buy a set of TPMS sensors from the guy on eBay for $70 each. For around $500, I should be set.

The 2008 Altima rims rubbed against the brake calipers so no luck there. Discount Tire had a set of rims that cost around $400 so I just went with that. The TPMS sensors that I bought on eBay worked and Discount Tire programmed them for free.

Doesn't the LEAF have to be programmed with the pressure-sensor ID codes before it will accept the new sensor data.

The sensors need to be "activated", I think, and the tire people could do that ... but did they ALSO program the LEAF?

If so, how?

These wheels on tirerack are 16.8 lb. So that is about 4 or 5 lb unsprung weight reduction over stock? That might be worth it.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=D6011S&wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=D6&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Nissan&autoModel=Leaf&autoYear=2011&autoModClar=SL&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=W_16_19&sort=Brand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How much do the stock S14 rims weigh that were mentioned earlier?

garygid said:
Doesn't the LEAF have to be programmed with the pressure-sensor ID codes before it will accept the new sensor data.

The sensors need to be "activated", I think, and the tire people could do that ... but did they ALSO program the LEAF?

If so, how?
I'm considering getting a second set of wheels with snow tires, and putting TPMS sensors on them. What is the deal with activating/programming?
  • Does a dealer have to do it? Can the tire company do it? Can I do it myself?
  • Is it a one-time thing, or do I have to reprogram the car every time I swap my summer & winter wheels?

There doesn't seem to be a way to re-program the TPMS system yourself, without special tools. And yes, it must be done every time you change your tires.

However, there is a fairly inexpensive tool (<$150) that gets the job done. See my post here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6680&p=266620#p266620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am interested in after-market TPMS, but unless I can read the actual live tire pressure somehow (like, while driving), then i am unlikely to make the investment.
That said, I did some research and there seems to be programmable TMPS sensors out there, you would program these sensors with the same IDs that your car already has, so you could swap out winter/summers and not have to reprogram anything, unfortunately, there are no prices as I think they are only marketing to tire shops/garages.

http://www.ez-sensor.com/tpms-pad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back