Replaced Door handle -- Now I-Key System Failure Message

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are proud owners of a 2015 SL.

Today, I replaced the broken driver's side door handle.

After the repair, everything works perfectly, the doors unlocks and locks as they should and the key FOB works as it should. The car drives fine.

However, the display above the steering wheel started displaying "I-Key System Failure". There is also an orange triangle showing on the dash display.

About a week ago, I replaced the 12 Volt battery without incident. I replaced the key FOB battery last week too. The voltage of the FOB battery is currently 3.14 volts..

Surprisingly, I have found several other posters on various forums who have had exactly the same experience--they replace the door handle and the I-Key System Failure message appears. However, none of the posts that I have looked at have a solution.

So, I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and did you find a solution?

After changing the door handle with a non-OEM one (ebay, ali, etc) I was having this message as well. I started to be suspicious about the antenna that is part of the handle. The fix is very simple, just need to swap the antenna on the new one with the old one.

The 2 connectors on the handle are the antenna and "push button".

For those wanting to know how to disassemble the new/old handles, I suggest you start with the old one. It's already broken so no need to worry. After removing the single screw, the black piece holds into place because it's slightly larger than the receiver chrome cover. To remove the black piece, keep in mind that when you grab it at the far end close to the edge that you should be gentle. You don't want to break it.

Pay attention where one of the wires passes from the top side of the handle to reach the connector on the other side. Snap a picture if needed.

The error message is i-key system fault not i-key system failure.

@OP if you can edit the title of your message it would be great. This will allow anyone facing the same issue to find this thread. Currently a search using the keywords i-key system fault doesn't result this thread.

After changing the door handle with a non-OEM one (ebay, ali, etc) I was having this message as well. I started to be suspicious about the antenna that is part of the handle. The fix is very simple, just need to swap the antenna on the new one with the old one.

The 2 connectors on the handle are the antenna and "push button".

For those wanting to know how to disassemble the new/old handles, I suggest you start with the old one. It's already broken so no need to worry. After removing the single screw, the black piece holds into place because it's slightly larger than the receiver chrome cover. To remove the black piece, keep in mind that when you grab it at the far end close to the edge that you should be gentle. You don't want to break it.

Pay attention where one of the wires passes from the top side of the handle to reach the connector on the other side. Snap a picture if needed.
I just wanted to thank you for this description. I had this issue after replacing my driver's door handle and have been googling how to fix the issue and have found very little. I even paid for a membership to a Nissan forum and they were not able to help me. It was not very difficult to replace the antenna and it works perfectly.

Back