Registered for REFUEL 2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I registered today. I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks. It's ~175 mi from my house in Santa Rosa to Laguna Seca. I'll spend 3 days total: 1 down, race day, 1 back. I'm going to spend Saturday driving down; probably 2 stops as there are a lot of hills along the route. I called Cardinale Nissan today and they said their L2's are accessible 24/7 (two of them). I'm planning on parking there Saturday night for a full charge. Made reservation at Seaside Inn which looks to be in walking distance of Cardinale. (Read a lot of reviews about hotels/motels in the area today; chose compromise between room rate for 2 nights, distance from Cardinale, and reviews. Seaside Inn cancellation policy is poor {1 week}, so I may change motels if I think I'll be cancelling the second night.)

Planning on using most of the car's juice on Sunday, so I was figuring I'd be back at Cardinale/Seaside Inn on Sunday night. If I thought I'd have any range left to head back north I would go somewhere else on Sunday night.

I have a ESVE upgrade.

I hope the LEAFs have a good turnout! (I had to search for this thread, perhaps the title should be changed to "Laguna Seca (Monterey, CA) free access for EVs at REFUEL 2011" and catch more South Bay/Central CA people.)

Interestingly ... Cardinale Nissan has a blue logo, rather than red (=LEAF certified). Anyone know why ?

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/index#/leaf-electric-car/findDealer/index
(Zip Code: 93955)

mwalsh said:
MaryC said:
Bump

mwalsh,
Are you still planning on doing this event?

At this point, yes. Though we just got back from a rather expensive vacation - 6 of us to the UK - so coffers may need to be replenished instead.

I'm thinking it will be $500 just to rent a rig (truck and trailer) to get the LEAF up there. Plus gas, at least one night hotel, and food.
Is there a way to hire a car hauler and share the cost if multiple people want to go? I'd buy in.

I have an unused EVSE in my garage just waiting to charge some electric vehicle. Since mine isn't here yet, it could be available for someone on his way to the event. I'm in Glendora at the end of the 57 freeway.

ht2 said:
Thanks,

Need full harness seat belts?

Nah, I wouldn't think so...just the standard seat belts. But you might want to double check with the organizers.

BTW, I may have to drop out...I have a money making opportunity on the horizon for that same weekend. And, to be honest, I need the money more than I need the fun right now.

You definitely need a recent model (SNELL) helmet.

No special roll cage or special belts required. Stock equipment is OK (at least it was in previous years.)

You will likely see a bunch of Tesla Roadsters there and some custom build conversion cars.
Electric motorcycles too.

Have fun!

TEG said:
Someone please post some pictures.
+1. We need reports and images. NOW, please! Laguna Seca is my favorite track. The Corkscrew is definitely an E-ticket ride at speed. :shock: It's so blind on turn-in, but if you aim for the big oak tree as you fall off the edge of the earth, the second apex appears perfectly. ;)

threaduselesswithoutpics.jpg

TT

Found this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30252_3-20074562-246/refuel-races-spur-electric-car-innovation-audio-slideshow/

Cool, thanks.

At least CNET has some pics, but we need videos and trackside stories about living with an EV at the track, what was the charging availability situation, how long did a full charge last on the track, how did the LEAF perform in a track setting, did anyone fly off at the corkscrew, did they race wheel to wheel or was it against the clock only, and what about transporting the cars to Laguna Seca. You know, interesting stuff like that.

I was interested to see an electrified Miata, would like to know more about that one.

nader said:
Here is some coverage from the Examiner. I have a full writeup in progress along with on track and paddock area photos. I have tons of GoPro footage too...
Cool, can't wait to see it Nader.
I'm kind of surprised that the EV-X11 electric race car was only able to do a 1:42??? The fastest Tesla did a 1:50. I would have guessed the Stohr chassis and lighter weight would have helped the Kleenspeed car more. Kinda disappointing. The DSR cars like the EV-X11 (except with 1000cc motorcycle ICE power) run 1:26s there. That's a lot of time left between them. Must be the extra 600 lbs., as the story said the driver was a pro instructor. I did a 1:47 my first time to that track 10 years ago in a 1973 911 (slightly modified).

TT

Back