recommended approach for efficiency on-highway?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DesertDenizen said:
Herm said:
Stay off the highway then so you can slow down.. or live with the high battery drain

+1

Here in Tucson it is the I-10. I never use it. The frontage roads are always empty, (everyone wants to do 70 on I-10). So I have them all to myself and cruise at about 42 and it is relaxing and efficient.

Thanks Desert, I've scouted out a future run in Tucson, I'll probably go up Oracle to Oro Valley, entering Tucson via Old Nogales highway and making use of one of the central Level II stations.

I've also scouted out preliminarily some of the alternatives to the highway over here on the 19. Between exits 22 and 25 the only way I see is a workaround I haven't yet driven and which I suspect will take around 20 minutes as compared to the 2 or 3 on the highway (the exits being in km, not miles).

The limit down here is 75 mph and the rate of flow of traffic seems around 65-75. Someone wrote that the drivetimes they have found in their area to be not so much of a differential from highway drive times, but I can already say that is not what I have found around here. I don't mind sometimes taking the alternatives to highways, and in some cases I think it will be similar to what you have found, but at other times I will choose to take the highway.

As an aside, my prediction for when city-street and highway construction will end on the 10 and in the Magee/Canada/Ina/La Cholla areas is not-in-my-lifetime. Ok, so it won't be that long, but sometimes it's just frustrating.

I'm going to encourage you to reconsider your reticence to drive slower. It is perfectly legal in CA to drive 55.

AZ speed limit laws can be found here:http://www.nationaldriverschool.com/Traffic_School-Laws_Arizona.htm

The minimum speed on AZ freeways is regulated as: I. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at a speed which is less than that which is reasonable and prudent under the existing circumstances. §28-701(E)
II. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. §28-704(A)
III. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. §28-721(B)

So, driving 55 in the right hand lane is perfectly legal and very safe. I drive 57 because I happen to like prime numbers and it's a speed that gets me where I need to go in plenty of time. It's also very safe.

jlsoaz said:
Llots of different additional useful replies I got here, will take me some time to digest, thanks much for writing them out.

jl
Well I have a L2 on my house here in Tucson, powered by my solar panels, so you are welcome to charge here anytime.

DesertDenizen said:
jlsoaz said:
Llots of different additional useful replies I got here, will take me some time to digest, thanks much for writing them out.

jl
Well I have a L2 on my house here in Tucson, powered by my solar panels, so you are welcome to charge here anytime.

Ok, thanks, I haven't had the time to bring my Leaf up to Oro Valley on the weekend, having to opt instead for my ICV. I"ll let you know if I am up there and thinking to charge. We did stop at the Oro Valley library this weekend and scouted out the charge stations there in the solar-covered parking lot. I also saw a leaf driving along, I think somewhere along Ina.

PaulScott said:
So, driving 55 in the right hand lane is perfectly legal and very safe. I drive 57 because I happen to like prime numbers and it's a speed that gets me where I need to go in plenty of time. It's also very safe.

Just so I understand your logic, 57 is not a prime number (divisible by 19 but 59 is. So you need to drive faster. I usually try for 58.

planet4ever said:
There is a graphic somewhere (I've forgotten where) that links the red bars to the blue and while charge bars

12 - GuessOmeter (GOM)
13 - Fuel Gauge Bar Segments
14 - Battery Capacity Bar Segments

capacitygauge

The behavior now is that sometime after you drop to one bar (not three!) you will get a Low Battery warning. At that point you will have about 17% of your usable charge left. (Herm said 17% when the last bar disappears, but that is a bit optimistic.) That warning means it is time to start thinking about conserving energy or looking for a place to charge. I have driven 18 miles after getting that warning, but I did it by getting off the freeway and taking the

Depending on amount of degradation will determine how many (if any) fuel bars remain when Low Batery Warning (LBW) pops up with 17.4% remaining.

When you get that warning, STOP COUNTING THE FUEL BARS !!!! Use LBW and VLB (Very Low Baterry Warning or 8.6%) as your bench marks, along with the range chart, to determine how much farther is possible, or what adjustment to driving (heater off, slow down) to get the remaining range you need.

Turtle mode will come on about 3% (plus or minus 1%), and the car will physically shut down at about 2%.

PaulScott said:
I'm going to encourage you to reconsider your reticence to drive slower. It is perfectly legal in CA to drive 55.

AZ speed limit laws can be found here:http://www.nationaldriverschool.com/Traffic_School-Laws_Arizona.htm

The minimum speed on AZ freeways is regulated as: I. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at a speed which is less than that which is reasonable and prudent under the existing circumstances. §28-701(E)
II. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. §28-704(A)
III. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. §28-721(B)

Thanks Paul, good to get your input.

If I still lived near the 5 and 405, I'd gladly hunker down at a safe distance behind a truck in the right lane at 55 or so.

In my fallible estimation on the 19, specfically near the exits by where I live , it is distinctly not entirely safe to drive 55 (the letter of the law is nice to have, but there is also the additional matter of what is safe, and judging the local/prevailing conditions). Often if I encounter someone doing that speed around here, it is a car with Mexican plates that may be reflecting any of a number of reasons for this, or a vehicle which is not quite able to travel the prevailing speed, such as going up a hill. As indicated, when I am doing 65 or 70 around here, as often as not, I am being passed.

All that said, I'll give 60-65 a try in some cases and in other cases will try an alternate route or in other cases where I do not anticipate range issues, I may maintain my usual 68-72 mph for an exit or two.

I'll try 55 to check my assumptions per your note, but have found it sufficiently unnerving to run across other drivers doing this speed that I suspect my practices will stand on this. It is hard to judge a 15 mph closing speed, especially taking into account that some drivers do sometimes do 80+ (meaning the delta is not 15 but 25+) and while we may want the law to ticket speeders, and they do (although they never seem to ticket those who follow too closely, which is also a violation of the law and something of a dream of mine that we'd start to see this part of the law enforced more consistently), this is a different discussion than figuring out the here-and-now of coexisting without overly tempting an accident.

TonyWilliams said:
[...]

Depending on amount of degradation will determine how many (if any) fuel bars remain when Low Batery Warning (LBW) pops up with 17.4% remaining.

When you get that warning, STOP COUNTING THE FUEL BARS !!!! Use LBW and VLB (Very Low Baterry Warning or 8.6%) as your bench marks, along with the range chart, to determine how much farther is possible, or what adjustment to driving (heater off, slow down) to get the remaining range you need.

Turtle mode will come on about 3% (plus or minus 1%), and the car will physically shut down at about 2%.

Hi Tony, good to get the additional info.

I had thought that for the sake of battery life we are supposed to avoid going below 20% (I don't know where I got that number, it does not appear to be in the manual... maybe just from conversations over the years?). Are there battery life issues associated with operating a lot after the LBW comes on? Are they the equal of the battery life issues we are told about as to charging above 80% frequently?

I've experienced a few rare instances of road rage from drivers who object to my driving at the lower end of the legal speed limit in the slow lane of Los Angeles freeways. It isn't pleasant, but I will absolutely not give ground. I can flip the bird right back with ease.

So I've been casually looking for an affordable, programmable electronic display strip to install in the rear window of the Leaf, something I can pre-program with a few scrolling messages, such as:

"If you don't like the way I'm driving, there are five other lanes to your left. Feel free to use them."

"Your vehicle is too close to mine for safe driving. If I have to brake hard the resulting accident will be your fault."

"Flashing your lights/honking your horn will not make me speed up. Move to another lane and pass."

Etc., etc.

Anyone know where to buy an affordable, portable display strip?

One other thing to add or clarify here:

http://www.nationaldriverschool.com/Traffic_School-Laws_Arizona.htm
Minimum Speed Limit: I. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at a speed which is less than that which is reasonable and prudent under the existing circumstances. §28-701(E)
Posted (Minimum) Speed Limit: Based on engineering and traffic investigations, the Director of the State Department of Transportation or local government officials may establish a minimum speed limit on a highway. §28-704(B)

also we have:

"...Posted (Maximum) Speed Limit:
"...II. Based on engineering and traffic investigations, the Director of the State Department of Transportation may increase the maximum speed limit on interstate highways outside of urban areas with a population 50,000 to 75 MPH. §§28-702 & 28-702.04(C)..."

Most of my highway driving is described by this last section on 75 mph max speed in some areas, and so in the absence of a hard minimum number, it becomes questionable as to what the exact safe and legal minimum speed should be. I am estimating from my own feel for the local roads that 55 is a no-go as far as really good long-term safety is concerned, all other considerations and discussions not withstanding. I feel pretty strongly that when I have dealings with a tailgater they are not only breaking the law but are showing disrespect for my very life. However, I feel almost the same way about folks who (in my view) put themselves way outside the "reasonable and prudent" definition of minimum speed. Unfortunately, for the road that I ride on, there doesn't seem to be a posted minimum which might help us know what experienced engineers consider to be safe on that road.

timhebb said:
I've experienced a few rare instances of road rage from drivers who object to my driving at the lower end of the legal speed limit in the slow lane of Los Angeles freeways. It isn't pleasant, but I will absolutely not give ground. I can flip the bird right back with ease.

So I've been casually looking for an affordable, programmable electronic display strip to install in the rear window of the Leaf, something I can pre-program with a few scrolling messages, such as:

"If you don't like the way I'm driving, there are five other lanes to your left. Feel free to use them."

"Your vehicle is too close to mine for safe driving. If I have to brake hard the resulting accident will be your fault."

"Flashing your lights/honking your horn will not make me speed up. Move to another lane and pass."

Etc., etc.

You just need some Yosemite Sam mud flaps! :)

31AZH6RFY2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I hooked up a flip switch to my old VW Rabbit diesel. When I got tail gated I flipped the reverse lights on and off. Always worked.

I have yet to meet a vehicle that can intimdate my cruise control set at 60 to change ;)
They are lucky I bought a LEAF as I used to drive 55 in my F150 to save fuel :|

BTW if I am going so slow why am I constantly on the brakes to accomodate the speeders swooping in at the last second to exit? I mean there is usually lots of room behind me but it is as if they want me to go even slower :roll: Just glad to not be a rat in the race.

jlsoaz said:
I had thought that for the sake of battery life we are supposed to avoid going below 20% (I don't know where I got that number, it does not appear to be in the manual... maybe just from conversations over the years?). Are there battery life issues associated with operating a lot after the LBW comes on? Are they the equal of the battery life issues we are told about as to charging above 80% frequently?
I keep TickTock's plot in mind. That says there is a battery voltage knee just above VLBW. It may be naive, but I figure as long as I'm above the voltage knee I'm probably not hurting the battery too much.

Ray

planet4ever said:
jlsoaz said:
I keep TickTock's plot in mind. That says there is a battery voltage knee just above VLBW. It may be naive, but I figure as long as I'm above the voltage knee I'm probably not hurting the battery too much.

Ray

Thanks Ray, good to have this. I'll keep an eye out for any further info to supplement this, including whether Nissan says or has said anything.

jlsoaz said:
I'll keep an eye out for any further info to supplement this, including whether Nissan says or has said anything.

Not going below the VLB warning is wise counsel, however I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Nissan to give that same "wise counsel".

Unless you believe the car goes 100 miles, the LEAF's bad instruments are the reason why Phoenix LEAFs show up to 4 capacity bars missing, etc.

Smidge204 said:
timhebb said:
Is $80 "affordable" ?

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw: "If you can read this, I can slam on my brakes and sue you."
=Smidge=
I've often considered getting one of those for my front windshield to display "Slower Traffic Keep Right" (mirrored in reverse, of course). :) But I hear you. When someone gets on my butt, my response is always to slow down...

TickTock said:
Smidge204 said:
timhebb said:
Is $80 "affordable" ?

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw: "If you can read this, I can slam on my brakes and sue you."
=Smidge=
I've often considered getting one of those for my front windshield to display "Slower Traffic Keep Right" (mirrored in reverse, of course). :) But I hear you. When someone gets on my butt, my response is always to slow down...

With sequential flashing LEDs:

IMG_1100.jpg

Back