Recent Texas roadtrip using QC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleleaf

Started in Glen Rose, Texas. 95 Ambient Temp(AmbT), 98 miles Eco Range(ER), 7bars Battery temp(BT). Drove 47.3 miles to Burleson.
32 miles remaining ER. QC 22 minutes, 92 AmbT, 91miles ER, 7barsBT, 9.906 Kw/hr charge 44%to 89%. Drove 56.3 miles to Dallas.
8 miles remaining ER. QC 24 minutes, 95 AmbT, 85 ER, 8 barsBT, 13.90 Kw/hr charge 24% to 89%. Drove 6.1 miles then 3 hours later 49.5 miles back to Burleson.
6 miles blinking remaining ER. QC 25 minutes, 81 AmbT, 76 ER, 9barsBT after charge, 14.73 Kw/hr charge 17% to 89%. Drove back to Glen Rose 47.4 miles. Battery bars dropped from 9 to 8 after about 5 minutes of driving.

simpleleaf said:
Started in Glen Rose, Texas. 95 Ambient Temp(AmbT), 98 miles Eco Range(ER), 7bars Battery temp(BT). Drove 47.3 miles to Burleson.
32 miles remaining ER. QC 22 minutes, 92 AmbT, 91miles ER, 7barsBT, 9.906 Kw/hr charge 44%to 89%. Drove 56.3 miles to Dallas.
8 miles remaining ER. QC 24 minutes, 95 AmbT, 85 ER, 8 barsBT, 13.90 Kw/hr charge 24% to 89%. Drove 6.1 miles then 3 hours later 49.5 miles back to Burleson.
6 miles blinking remaining ER. QC 25 minutes, 81 AmbT, 76 ER, 9barsBT after charge, 14.73 Kw/hr charge 17% to 89%. Drove back to Glen Rose 47.4 miles. Battery bars dropped from 9 to 8 after about 5 minutes of driving.
I am impressed.
203 total miles driven
70 total QC minutes
You are really pushing the envelope with 9 bars battery temperature after QC to 89% three times .
Did your battery temperature stay at 8 between charges ?
What is your total LEAF mileage? Any decline in battery capacity since purchase ?

There will soon be 3 active QC in LA area, but I am not going to be the one to make that QC loop here.

Very interesting data, thank you. There is a lot of talk about battery heat resistance but I can't see that here. Ambient temp was 98F and you already had 7 temp bars which I will assume was after L2 charge. I was thinking that 7 bar will show after some time in the temp above 100F (7BT will show when battery temp is 98.2F) but lowest for the day you drove was in the 70F area. Looks like your battery was in danger zone (more than 120F) for about quite some time. Wonder when your car battery returned to more normal temp 6 -7 bars?

Remember, even though the qc said 89 percent, it's actually closer to 78-80 percent. your beginning percentage is lower also.
I know of 1 guy that had 10 temperature bars and he could only drive 25 miles per hour.

Sent with speech to text

I have had the car for one year, 9000 miles, all my battery bars (12?). I usually do not test the battery this way but I just got access to the quick chargers and took the opportunity to try long distance driving. I drove highway speeds between 55 and 70 mph with a driver and passenger with climate control on 76 degrees. The battery temp tended to go up during the charging and not during driving. I just finished a L2 charge to 100% before I started. The 9 bar battery temp only lasted about five minutes after the last QC. There was no limit on speed or anything. Although the eco mile range became less as the battery warmed up from either capacity loss or battery protection system. I got home at two in the morning but by noon the battery was back to 7 bars.

I did a trip like this 3 weeks ago, visiting the 3 evGo and 2 Walgreens QC stations that were active then. Need to do another one to include the new evGo in Mesquite.

Anyway, my battery appears to be OK, measuring 273 GIDs a couple of days ago, despite my battery temp getting up where yours was after 4 QCs in one day.

We should do a group tour of the 6 QC's sometime before there are too many more (I know another evGo is close).

simpleleaf"The 9 bar battery temp only lasted about five minutes after the last QC.[/quote said:
Maybe for hot climates the QC should have a "cooling pad" :idea: , something that cools the battery while QCing. The most I have seen in my car is 7 bars, ... after a QC.

camasleaf said:
simpleleaf"The 9 bar battery temp only lasted about five minutes after the last QC.[/quote said:
The most I have seen in my car is 7 bars, ... after a QC.

Same here, but remember, he did 4 QCs in a day. I'm willing to bet that the fifth or sixth would put him at 10 TBs, and would have limited him to only 25mph.

Back