Rear wheel fender skirt kit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ha...well i have always thought of "no-brainer" as, "that is so simple i did not have to engage brain at all to see the benefit."

I haven't been "full brained" since before college...gah, college=insane fun...but i believe i killed a layer of brain matter about an inch thick...

Gavin

Thanks Gavin, it sure is plenty good enough to get the whole idea!

Personally, fender skirts make me break out in hives. ;)

All I remember from the old ones is that they were tough to pop off in the rain after midnight on dirt roads....which is the only time the tire would choose to go flat. Also, the metal pins would invariably vibrate in the fender wheel wheels and cause rust entry points.....but I am sure much better materials are available today.

They DID, however, look good on my '66 Pontiac Ventura.

yep...they can look cool if done right...I imagine Nissan could do it much better than I...

Copy%20of%201967%20Pontiac%20GP-Convertible%20%282%29.JPG

Gavin

Gavin said:
ok...first a few words at my photoshop skills...i suck...have you seen those utube videos, "you suck at photoshop"? i am almost sure they were made about me. All I know how to use is the clone tool. That could be my nickname...clone tool.

Plus I spent all of 4 minutes on this at work...gah, four minutes is like 3 minutes 48 seconds longer that it looks like i did...sigh...

4557365737_379a4b33bc.jpg

Dim the lights and squint and it might look about right...

But would be simple to do, add almost no cost, could add 5 miles to the range. Not a lot, but 5 miles ain't chump change when you are talking about a most likely 70ish mile real world range of the current LEAF.

Gavin

That's impressive Gavin. Now can you photoshop a little generator trailer on the back for the people who really want to look cool? :D

http://evnut.com/rav_longranger.htm

there are some pictures you can lift for what the "long ranger" trailer looks like :)

I think the F&R wheel covers looks fine, and they help those that want to say "See, we willing to buy (have bought) something different!" to GM and/or any others that said/think we would not. For me, that was PART of Aptera's attraction.

While we are at it. Can Nissan do a dimpled Leaf version and get ~11% improvement in mileage?

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-dimpled-car-minimyth.html

:mrgreen:

They wouldn't help much, and would more likely hurt, on a vehicle that's already this streamlined. The point of dimples is to create turbulent flow, which makes vortices which decrease the magnitude of the low pressure wake behind the vehicle. But the Leaf already has what appears to be vortex generators (underside) and a spoiler (top) for this purpose.

KarenRei said:
They wouldn't help much, and would more likely hurt, on a vehicle that's already this streamlined. The point of dimples is to create turbulent flow, which makes vortices which decrease the magnitude of the low pressure wake behind the vehicle. But the Leaf already has what appears to be vortex generators (underside) and a spoiler (top) for this purpose.

The Sparrow had them on the fenders.

EVDRIVER said:
KarenRei said:

Yep -- you'll notice that they're only in spots where they want turbulent flow; the rest is smooth:

93175215_54e478bdf7.jpg

Nissan is using a different approach to create turbulent flow.

nissan_clip_image003.jpg

On the bottom, there's what appear to be vortex generators, while on the top, there's a spoiler. The vehicle also has a proper rear taper (although, as an Aptera fan, the Nissan's taper seems pretty mild by comparison!)

KarenRei said:
EVDRIVER said:
KarenRei said:

Yep -- you'll notice that they're only in spots where they want turbulent flow; the rest is smooth:

93175215_54e478bdf7.jpg

Nissan is using a different approach to create turbulent flow.

nissan_clip_image003.jpg

On the bottom, there's what appear to be vortex generators, while on the top, there's a spoiler. The vehicle also has a proper rear taper (although, as an Aptera fan, the Nissan's taper seems pretty mild by comparison!)

Yes, but the dimples will come in the parking lots:)

Back