Rationale for which cars receive Lower Apron Bracket Fix

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKUVA

I just received the software update email and got the fix. However, I did not get the notice about the apron bracket. Meanwhile others who took delivery in the same month in the same state as I did received the notice about the apron bracket. When I called the call center, and tried to find out the rationale, I was given a big run-around -- They said NHTSA told Nissan on which cars Nissan must perform the fix, which can't possibly be right because it's a voluntary action on the part of Nissan. Even if it were true, there must be some rationale for which cars do and don't need the fix.

Does anyone know the rationale? And if there are errors (such as mistaken assumptions about being located in a cold weather state) to whom do we raise the issue?

Thanks!!

Verifying-a-Ticket_0.jpg

I'm in SW Florida, and I got the notice for the lower apron bracket fix. Guess it's needed to keep sand out of the electric motor! ;)

DKUVA said:
I just received the software update email and got the fix. However, I did not get the notice about the apron bracket. Meanwhile others who took delivery in the same month in the same state as I did received the notice about the apron bracket. When I called the call center, and tried to find out the rationale, I was given a big run-around -- They said NHTSA told Nissan on which cars Nissan must perform the fix, which can't possibly be right because it's a voluntary action on the part of Nissan. Even if it were true, there must be some rationale for which cars do and don't need the fix.

Does anyone know the rationale? And if there are errors (such as mistaken assumptions about being located in a cold weather state) to whom do we raise the issue?

Thanks!!

Hi Doug

I did get the note both about the software update and the apron as well. I am surprised that you did not get the apron. You may want to call the dealer from where you bought the car.

My dealer did the software update. I am not sure what was the major change there!! They did not have the apron bracket. They ordered it for me. I asked them if they could disable the humming noise that Leaf makes to warn pedesterians when driving below 25 mph. They told me that they could not.... I want to kill the noise so bad!!!

Raza
Raza Khan
Westminster, MD

Does anybody have a picture of what the bracket looks like? Off and on the car? I got the email but did not get the bracket notification.

There is a picture in the voluntary campaign thread elsewhere on here...

Volusiano said:
Does anybody have a picture of what the bracket looks like? Off and on the car? I got the email but did not get the bracket notification.

TomT said:
There is a picture in the voluntary campaign thread elsewhere on here...

Volusiano said:

How difficult is it to purchase the parts and just D-I-Y ?

I can't imagine it to be too difficult? I assume just get the car up on a couple of ramps and slide under the car to do it?

Thx.

mwalsh said:
Just what is this and why does it need fixing?

Just a lightweight plastic piece to put some strength and rigidity behind the flexible belly pan to withstand pressure at the nose when driving over deep snow.

pic

Pulled from: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7861&start=70#p173998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pic

Pulled from: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7861&start=100#p174259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am in California and was contacted for the recall on my 2011. I brought it in and they did the software update, but I don't think they installed this. I think its because we don't have snow here ;)

mwalsh said:

When snow is bumper height or over - the front of the car tends to act like a scoop, pushing snow under the car where it builds up and compresses under the front of the car. With something soft there, it could easily just be ripped apart and the snow gets up into the undercarriage . Some extra strength, it might compress enough to flow through and out the back.

The front end of some cars scoops so much snow under the car that the front wheels lift off the ground and the car gets stuck. Digging those cars out is a real pain. Been there, done that, would like to avoid doing that again!

Raza said:
snip.. snip..

I asked them if they could disable the humming noise that Leaf makes to warn pedesterians when driving below 25 mph. They told me that they could not.... I want to kill the noise so bad!!!

Raza
Raza Khan
Westminster, MD

Check out this thread on the VSP noise maker default.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3296&start=0#p77995

While there is no button on the 2012s some owners have found that the circuit is the same under the dash but the connector is missing one pin.

Nubo said:
mwalsh said:

Just a lightweight plastic piece to put some strength and rigidity behind the flexible belly pan to withstand pressure at the nose when driving over deep snow.
I thought it is for LEAF's with the CWP, which is all 2012's and a late 2011's who requested that option.

Back