Range estimate is very non-linear

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrys3255

I find that when I start off with battery full, the bar indication goes down quicker than the actual miles driven. The difference varies but is usually 10-15 miles after driving around 10-20 miles. Is this normal? I drive on Eco mode.

Larry

larrys3255 said:
I find that when I start off with battery full, the bar indication goes down quicker than the actual miles driven. The difference varies but is usually 10-15 miles after driving around 10-20 miles. Is this normal? I drive on Eco mode.

Larry

Yes. I recommend not looking at it (which we affectionately call the GuessOmeter).

Check out the Range Chart link in my signature line.

Many thanks for developing this app. It should remove a lot of the guess work from my driving my favorite car.

Despite all the complains, the GOM can be useful in some situations. Personally, I use it to adjust my driving style to make it my destination when the safety margin is less than a few bars of charge. For instance, if I try to go somewhere 30 miles away and my GOM says 40 miles when I leave, I drive at a speed that keeps the "margin" above 10 miles along the way. I know it's a bit backward to use it this way but for me it has really reduced the stress in tight situations and I've always made it within a few miles of the target margin I had set for myself.

But don't get me wrong: Tonny's range chart is still more useful as long as you take into accounts external factors such as wind, temperature and road condition (rain / traffic).

I concur. I find the number of bars remaining much more reliable. The guessometer is good for fine tuning my habits. Using it, I've really modified my driving habits. Now to see if they actually become new habits. :lol:

Back