Quotes for 220v 30A outlet installation in Orange County

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mepeh said:
I see people run the 110-220 transformers that plug into 2 separate outlets.
Is that an acceptable option ?

I got the Quick220 at the same time as I did the EVSE-upgrade, because I didn't have a 240 outlet and it looked like it would be several weeks before I could get a 240 outlet installed. Worked just fine. The unit is solidly built and, other than you have a few cords to deal with, I don't see any reason you couldn't use it on a regular basis.

I now have a permanent installation, but it was very expensive, and all the quotes mentioned here are way less than I paid, but I also live in Palo Alto, not known for the low expenses.

The outdoor unit, about 3/4 of the way down the page:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13581&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mepeh said:
Nope, no adjacent walls with the breaker panel. It's upstairs and a room to the left. I have to go through the walls that i share with my neighbor to connect to it.
It does share the wall with my meter, but i was told they are not allowed to use it for this purposes.

I have 2 Leafs and tonight was the first night i didn't have to charge any of them, i just use the public stations or the outlet at my work.

My thing is that i'm getting my charger from evseupgrade this week, and that means i will have a 220 evse and no outlet for it
Well, you mentioned your existing 30A dryer outlet is directly over the garage? You could always drill a hole in the floor and extend this outlet down. Some of our customers install their outlets in the ceiling anyway, so they can have the EVSE cord drop down from above so it isn't a trip hazard.

I suppose you could even avoid all electrical work and just saw a hole big enough to pass the cord through. =)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I suppose you could even avoid all electrical work and just saw a hole big enough to pass the cord through. =)

-Phil
This. I was going to say forget any kind of electrical work and just run a 10gauge extension cord to the existing dryer outlet upstairs, but it sounds like it may be close enough that you don't even need an extension cord - the Panasonic EVSE gives you about 25'. The worst part about it is just making a hole in the floor/ceiling.

And you'll need an adapter to go from the dryer outlet to the L6-30 on the EVSE. I'd recommend picking up a dryer cord like this one and attaching an L6-30 receptacle to the other end. This will give you a nice 10 foot extension as well as an adapter. I did basically the same thing to get from my inconveniently-placed dryer outlet (although it was at least in the garage already) to the front the the car.

Back