Quick guide to partial or delayed charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adder70

Took delivery last night with an abbreviated show and tell with salesperson.

I'll probably be at about 45% when I get home and I want to either charge to about 90% or finish my charge at around 6am. Is there a quick way to walk me through that online for the next couple of days? I will be either going back to the dealer or studying up more over the weekend so I can avoid leaving the car at full charge (BTW: is SOC that is frequently used here State of Charge?) for several hours overnight.

I am using the 120V included charging connector (didn't use EVSE, but also didn't use charger! :) ) for this. Not sure if that affects ability to set charging, although I assume it's the charger, not the connection, that decides that.

Nissan does not have an automatic 90% charge function. It's either full or 80%. The only way to get any other charge setting is to manually disconnect the car, or if the EVSE has a charge timer of its own (and the OEM one does not) you can set the timers at what you think will be the approximate time, based upon your experience with the car.

There is no need to leave the car at 100% for several hours if you use an end-only timer. Press the sideways "E" button on the right side of the nav display and select "Charge Timers." On the SV/SL (and all pre-2013 Leafs) you have the ability to select two different charging timers. Don't set a Start time, only an End time, and the car will guesstimate how long it will take to charge to your desired level of either 80% (Long Life Mode) or 100% depending on what you choose. The car may sit for an hour, possibly two, at full charge longer than you'd like, but that's not a problem if this happens during the cooler evening and early morning hours.

Note that with 120 volt charging, a fully depleted battery takes about 20 hours to fully charge.

I got home with about 55-60% left. That included an admittedly short lunch run, but given that 80% to start and a longer lunch run would result in still being above 30%, 80% should work. Off to try and set the timer now.

Carwings was being uncooperative as well. I'll also try to connect again tonight and see if I can get it online.

adder70 said:
CarWings was being uncooperative as well. I'll also try to connect again tonight and see if I can get it online.

In the US, CarWings relies on AT&T service, so if the car is parked in an area where AT&T service is poor, CarWings will not work reliably.

Carwings still not cooperating, but car will charge to 80% in 4 hrs 30 min and be ready by 6am. I forgot to check the charge level. Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable response!

Hey there. I just got my leaf too, and got home with non functioning carwings. This is because it needs to be activated (my salesperson had no idea about this, too). You go to http://www.nissanusa.com/owners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, then you register your car there. It'll have you enter the VIN, and accept a terms of service. After that you'll go enter some info on the car itself (the site will give instructions).

If, also like me, the site doesn't recognize your VIN, just call the number on the error page. I guess my dealership didn't update the site right away and so the girl manually enter my info. Then, finally, viola, carwings.

adder70 said:
I am using the 120V included charging connector (didn't use EVSE, but also didn't use charger! :) ) for this. Not sure if that affects ability to set charging, although I assume it's the charger, not the connection, that decides that.

All "charge cords" and public charging stations are called EVSEs, it means electric vehicle supply equipment. The charger is in your car and it is supplied power from some type of EVSE. Your Nissan cord is an EVSE, a 120V model. You can use the charge timer on any EVSE, think of it as a power cord, it does not regulate charging functions.

adder70 said:
Carwings still not cooperating

My CW didn't work at first because the dealer didn't activate it; you might want to have a service tech check it (that's something that is typically done at delivery).
Looks like you have the charging timer stuff under control (I use an 80% end timer daily).

Fully activated with codes supplied. AT&T service was thought to be the issue when I was on the phone with the helpdesk guy, but I've been in an area with good service and it still didn't work. Need to find time to call again when I am in a good service area for AT&T as my home is questionable AT&T.

I'll update when I get this solved in case there's a non-unique issue causing this failure.

EVDRIVER said:
adder70 said:
I am using the 120V included charging connector (didn't use EVSE, but also didn't use charger! :) ) for this
All "charge cords" and public charging stations are called EVSEs, it means electric vehicle supply equipment. The charger is in your car and it is supplied power from some type of EVSE. Your Nissan cord is an EVSE, a 120V model.
You misunderstood what adder70 was saying. He was somewhat proudly, and admirably, pointing out that he didn't fall into the common newbie trap of calling it a charger, even though he didn't call it an EVSE either, preferring to say "charging connector". I'll give him a +1 for that. He's obviously been doing his homework.

Ray

EVDRIVER said:
adder70 said:
All "charge cords" and public charging stations are called EVSEs, it means electric vehicle supply equipment. The charger is in your car and it is supplied power from some type of EVSE. Your Nissan cord is an EVSE, a 120V model.
Yep. OP should refer to the diagram at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Back