Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abasile said:
The only downside is that it took longer this time, as the maximum rate of charge has apparently been limited to about 16 kW in order to avoid demand charges. Still, that is about five times as fast as 3.3 kW Level 2 charging.

I'm happy that he's following my recommendations. I had made an offer to take this over from him, and that was one of my requirements prior to handover (sub 20kW power draw).

So, now with the only DC charger in the USA that meets my spec, would you prefer that or shutdown?

abasile said:
At the lower charge rate, it now makes sense to not only pick up a treat at the 7 Eleven while waiting, but perhaps also walk over to the Stater Bros. (on the next block) for a few groceries. Not bad at all if you plan ahead. (And it's gentler on the LEAF's battery.)

Abasile, if you remember, how long did it take and did the temp bars go up?

Herm said:
Abasile, if you remember, how long did it take and did the temp bars go up?
I was not keeping track of time, but I'd say we charged for the better part of an hour.

The temperature bars went from five to six, though I'm pretty sure the battery temperature was already at the upper end of the "five" range before we started the charge. (BTW, up here on the mountain today, we are having a cold snap and have only four temperature bars after completing a 40 mile drive.)

Hm. Someone must have convinced Eaton that these units need a throttling feature. Last time I talked to the tech, there wasn't a way to limit the power.

Jeremy

The Eaton (TEPCO) units are modular, with five 10kW modules. Pulling modules will reduce the output even if there is no actual setting for reduction.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The Eaton (TEPCO) units are modular, with five 10kW modules. Pulling modules will reduce the output even if there is no actual setting for reduction.

-Phil

I heard directly from the Eaton tech originally repairing it that this only works for pulling one module. However, perhaps with enough convincing, Eaton updated the firmware to allow more throttling and/or module control. Of course, it would be in their best interest to use all of the available modules instead of just running one or two at full power. :)

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

I heard directly from the Eaton tech originally repairing it that this only works for pulling one module. However, perhaps with enough convincing, Eaton updated the firmware to allow more throttling and/or module control. Of course, it would be in their best interest to use all of the available modules instead of just running one at full power. :)

Jeremy

I do not think TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Co) manufactured this. The Japanese manufacturer is Takaoka, according to the ChadeMo data.

Tony

TonyWilliams said:
I do not think TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Co) manufactured this. The Japanese manufacturer is Takaoka, according to the ChadeMo data.

Tony
Yes, you are probably correct, but all the ones I've seen in this configuration have TEPCO's name (or Eaton) on them. I would assume Takaoka is the contract manufacturer. It's very obvious to me that Eaton did not manufacture them in any event.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
TonyWilliams said:

Tony
Yes, you are probably correct, but all the ones I've seen in this configuration have TEPCO's name (or Eaton) on them. I would assume Takaoka is the contract manufacturer. It's very obvious to me that Eaton did not manufacture them in any event.

-Phil

There's another company up in the Bay area, Kanematsu, that likes to throw their sticker on everything which confuses people as to who actually made it.

The JFE ChadeMo installed here in San Diego had that problem. After install, those guys put their Kanematsu sticker on it. The new owners took it off. Then they physically unlocked it (they must have a master key) and put their sticker on the inside.

So, for the record, the two JFE installs in the USA (Portland and San Diego) are not Kanematsu manufactured products. Neither is the Sumitomo nozzle that they are marketing without mentioning Sumitomo.

TonyWilliams said:
There's another company up in the Bay area, Kanematsu, that likes to throw their sticker on everything which confuses people as to who actually made it.

The JFE ChadeMo installed here in San Diego had that problem. After install, those guys put their Kanematsu sticker on it. The new owners took it off. Then they physically unlocked it (they must have a master key) and put their sticker on the inside.

So, for the record, the two JFE installs in the USA (Portland and San Diego) are not Kanematsu manufactured products. Neither is the Sumitomo nozzle that they are marketing without mentioning Sumitomo.
Unfortunately this is commonplace. For instance, many Apple products are manufactured by Foxconn.

-Phil

Stopped at the Sierra 7-1 on Saturday for the first time. Hooked up to the Eaton for 45 minutes, going from 4 bars to 11 (I wasn't charging the whole time - I forgot about the auto-stop at 80%, so didn't turn it back on right away; probably no more than a few minute 'stalled'). Cut the charge when the Eaton trickled from 44 amps (it has been limited to this) to just 16 amps. Display showed a total of 10.6 delivered kWh between the sessions.

Bought lunch inside the store - the manager (?) Mohammed was extremely helpful and courteous. And there is no way I could make the trip from Whittier to Big Bear Lake without this station, or some serious (sleeping bag?!) time at Fontana Nissan's L2.

This is a great resource for California:

1. May 2010, Vacaville, Eaton brand - PGE (public utility) open to public March 2011 only, free then, now private

2. Spring 2011, Cypress, Eaton brand - Mitsubishi (auto manufacturer) open to public, free

3. Fall 2010, Sacramento, AeroVironment brand - Nissan (auto manufacturer), private

4. March 2012, San Bernadino, Eaton brand - 7-11 store (retail public, private capital funds), public, free

5. April 2012, San Diego, JFE brand - SDG&E (public utility) private

6. April 2012, Palo Alto, unknown brand - 350green (retail public, public/private funds) public, fee

7. May 2012, Belmont, Blink brand - Volkswagon Tech Center (private / public funding) free

8. May 2012, San Ramon, Blink brand - (public / private funding) free

9.. June 2012, Los Angeles, Blink brand. Toy Lofts, downtown

GPowers said:
This is a great resource for California:

1. May 2010, Vacaville, Eaton brand - PGE (public utility) open to public March 2011 only, free then, now private

2. Spring 2011, Cypress, Eaton brand - Mitsubishi (auto manufacturer) open to public, free

3. Fall 2010, Sacramento, AeroVironment brand - Nissan (auto manufacturer), private

4. March 2012, San Bernadino, Eaton brand - 7-11 store (retail public, private capital funds), public, free

5. April 2012, San Diego, JFE brand - SDG&E (public utility) private

6. April 2012, Palo Alto, unknown brand - 350green (retail public, public/private funds) public, fee

7. May 2012, Belmont, Blink brand - Volkswagon Tech Center (private / public funding) free

8. May 2012, San Ramon, Blink brand - (public / private funding) free

9.. June 2012, Los Angeles, Blink brand. Toy Lofts, downtown

Yes, my list that I posted here some time ago.

The developer of the SB L3, Jian Torkan from ICO Real Estate, is looking to install two more L3 DC chargers at two other 7-11 stores they are developing in the area. One will be at the corner of Waterman and Mill in San Bernardino and the other in Fontana on the corner of Arrow and Juniper...

But..

Jian and friends have run into some trouble with the city of Fontana which is hesitant to have another 7-11 distributing alcohol in the region. This despite zoning that would have made it trivial if it were on the other side of the street and according to Jian they have "set up a teen early drug and alcohol prevention program with a nearby church."
Jian has asked if I could help recruit other Leafers and L3 enthusiasts in the area to attend a City of Fontana hearing on the issue of the 7-11 and L3 charger at Fontana city hall on Tuesday night August 7th at 6pm. I plan to attend and I think a good showing of EV drivers might be able to convince city officials that the benefits of the DC L3 charger outweigh concerns they may have over the 7-11.
I'll post more on this as I get it. Who else might be able to attend?
-Greg

We need your help to keep the San Bernadino charger(s) going. Please see this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=224270#p224270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just got word of a new L3 DC Quick Charger coming to LA's West Side. This one is going to be at Nissan's LA based PR company, TBWA\Chiat\Day, at their headquarters in Marina Del Rey (5353 Grosvenor Blvd.). As you can see from the picture, it's an AeroVironment unit, and it is actually working already. However, it is currently in the testing phase and is not expected to be available for public use for another 2-3 months. More details to come soon.

Attachments

• 561824_10151170344969844_850926289_n.jpg
    561824_10151170344969844_850926289_n.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for the heads up, between the other 3 already in and this new one, you can almost plan a trip and survive if one of the quick chargers is down because you'll be able to make it to another one! very exciting :)

-Matt

Back