QC charging support - aftemarket?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbol

perhaps this should go to the technical section, but since we're in the chicken\egg scenario at the moment, and purchase decisions are being made...

what is the probability that QC support could be added to the 2012 SV later? Nissan says it can't be added later, but does anyone know if that's a certainty? Why\how would it be - firmware lockout based on model type? I presume battery pack terminals are exposed\accessible somewhere?

I'm planning to lease because I can't qualify the $7.5k tax credit. But I intend to keep the car forever. I live in Charlotte, NC where there is no QC infrastructure, and probably won't be for awhile. I would like to be able to QC for extended distance travel, but with the connector and infrastructure ambiguity, I don't feel it is worth the extra cost today.

Any thoughts\recommendations?

Thx,

Rick

My thoughts run along the same lines concerning the QC. I didn't order it because of lack
of stations, the uncertainty about compatibility, and the delay in delivery. I have a sneaky
hope that I will be able to add it even though Nissan says no.

Of course in 2012 all SL's have it and no SV's have it, so it is tempting to think of this as a model issue. But in 2011 only some SL's had QC, and originally Nissan apparently intended to make it available in some SV's. But the company position has been firm from the beginning: regardless of model, it could only be provided as a factory option, not added later. I don't know why they stated that; it could be just a marketing decision, or there might be some major cabling harness implications, or the requirement for a physically different BMS, or even some non-interchangeable body part involved.

Ray

highcountryrider,

I hope you're correct. I will say, in looking at some of the spreadsheets, it appears the overwhelming number buy the QC (but I'm unclear on this because I think the QC option only became available for the 2012 SL?). My sales person says that SL are the only sales he's seen.

There's certainly a "nuanced" charging regime required for high voltage DC xfer into the battery pack, but this is something I anticipate doing only ?10%? of the time\miles MAX? Surely there's a way to do this after market (or OEM harness\firmware update). It'll all come down to satisfying the handshake\status protocol for the QC chargers.

If I knew the protocol, I'd get started on a PERL app now to handle it.

Maybe someone on this forum can elucidate us on the technicalities\specifics.

Rick

I'm not terribly inclined for the QC port, but the SL also includes the rear view camera, solar panel, fog lights, automatic headlights and home link; so I took it all.

Also, looking at the distant future, it may be easier to sell having the QC port.

I didn't get the QC based on the information that was available to me at the time. If the option was offered on the SV trim, I might have taken it. Obviously, the port is hardly missed right now, but if the technology spreads and there are compelling reasons to add it, I would hope that it could be done. I perused the shop manual, and it looks like aside from the QC receptacle, wiring harness and two relays, there are no additional parts involved. Assuming of course, that the VCM and the onboard 3.3kW charger are identical in both trims.

I think the question is whether it's easy to run the QC wiring harness to where the battery pack is or not after the car has already been built. I would think the wiring harness has to be pretty beefy to start with.

I have an SL model without the QC port. If I did have it, I might be able to look through the car and figure out what all wires and other equipment is related to it. But I guess I'll have to let somebody else do it.

Back