PV Panels --> 610-A/hr batteries --> 220VAC Inverter --> ???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWO4Mann

Leaf Supporting Member
Hey gang, I've snagged some surplus bargains. 12 ea 240 Watt PV panels, slightly used; 6 ea 119 AH batteries originally used for a large data center UPS. I am looking at various 220V/60Hz inverters. Should be enough to charge the Leaf, eh?

Your thoughts? Don't let me reinvent the wheel here, either.

Regards,

Dave

Most effective use of the panels will be to grid-tie them. Otherwise you need to build an off-grid system using your batteries.

Lots of experts on this forum: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highly recommend you go there.

What voltage are the batteries? Are they still in good shape? What other uses are you thinking of, other than charging the Leaf? If you need backup power, I would use an Outback inverter that also sells back to the grid, but I don't believe they make them in 220/240 VAC. I have an Outback GTFX inverter, which can be bought in 24 or 48 VDC I believe, but you also need a charge controller.

keydiver said:
What voltage are the batteries? Are they still in good shape? What other uses are you thinking of, other than charging the Leaf? If you need backup power, I would use an Outback inverter that also sells back to the grid, but I don't believe they make them in 220/240 VAC. I have an Outback GTFX inverter, which can be bought in 24 or 48 VDC I believe, but you also need a charge controller.

The batteries are 12 volts (13.8 vdc nominal); in excellent condition having been on float for about 36 months. They are the DataSafe HX-500-FR batteries (http://www.power-solutions.com/batteries/enersys/datasafe/12hx505.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

My thought is to run the PV cells into a charging distribution device, then feed a 220VAC inverter, then attach an L2 charger. I already have a full backup system using a natural gas generator system, so this would be dedicated solely to the Leaf charging. Not interested in selling back power to the local utilities.

Thanks for the reply

Dave

So those batteries are 1.4 kWh each or about 8.5 kWh total. Probably closer to 6 usable.

Definately help but you will only get 20% maybe 25% LEAF charge off the full batteries. Best to also charge while the sun is shining.

If I am that far off someone will correct my math.

Back