Purchasing a leaf tonight. help me verify my decision.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
brett701 said:
I am intending on buying the middle version (SV) that has: NAVIGATION, BLUETOOTH,THE UPGRADED WHEELS. I am not certain about the chargers? I have not been informed on them as of yet. Thanks!
There is an option to get a 6 kW charger along with a quick-charge port (50 kW). Not sure of the price. If you can swing this, I recommend it. You do not need a 6kW charger for home use normally since you charge at night, but a faster L2 charger comes in handy if you need to charge away from home. The quick chargers aren't many places, yet, but they should show up over time.

The new EVSEupgrade for the 2013 lets you charge at a wide range of power levels. I'm trying to find the post that explains it...
The SV comes with the 6.6kW charger and heat pump standard. The QC + LED headlights is an optional package on the SV; on the S, the 6.6kW charger + QC is the option package.

GRA said:
The SV comes with the 6.6kW charger and heat pump standard. The QC + LED headlights is an optional package on the SV; on the S, the 6.6kW charger + QC is the option package.
Thanks! Sorry for the confusion, OP!

brett701 said:
First. Thanks for the reply.

I was going to sign the paper work for a nissan leaf this evening. My main choice for the leaf wasn't the environment. It was because it's cheaper than many other options and it's pretty cool. My current SUV cost 3k per year in gas @12,000 miles/year. (15mpg) This basically takes care of the yearly payment for the LEAF.

The LEASE will be 36 months and the monthly payment will be 250. This is for the middle model with gps, bigger wheels, bluetooth etc.

Does everyone like their leaf?
I've heard they are discontinuing the leaf after this year.

Does anyone have any secondary chargers that charge quicker than 12 hours?

Anything I need to know when leasing this? Does everyone like this? Thanks a bunch.

I leased my 2012 LEAF in December. 36 months; 15K miles/year. I Absolutely love my LEAF. My savings in fuel more than covers my lease payment. I kept my gas guzzler for long trips.

Find myself looking for reasons to drive places in the LEAF. It's fun to drive!! I especially enjoy the FREE charge stations around town which make for a great weekend-day outing.

I drive 27 miles to work and 27 miles home, with PLENTY of range left. You can view my detail write-up here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11881

I charge on the supplied L1 charger each night. No need to plug in at work, but I can if i want to.

Recently, I purchased a new Panasonic Nissan LEAF L1 EVSE from EBay. (Got a good price) and sent that in to evseupgrade. I will use that in the garage for L2 charging and keep the L1 in the trunk. Why? Because I am lazy.

I really enjoy the advanced technology and features available...being able to access data from my iphone. I have the Nissan LEAF app and a free app called LEAF Link.

I renewed the satellite radio subscription and negotiated a huge savings by calling SiriusXM direct and working a deal. But in hindsight, I would have been happy without it, since the LEAF easily links with my bluetooth iphone and plays music from that; also, I have a thumb drive with hundreds of mp3 file that plugs right into the port on the console. So, satellite radio is very much an unnecessary option.

Anyways, hope all that minutia helps...and good luck and congratulations on your new LEAF!

I ended Up buyinng the red middle package sv with the fog lights, led lights and the 440v quick charge opting for no money down and 2 year lease at 250 per month.

RegGuheert said:
brett701 said:
I was going to sign the paper work for a nissan leaf this evening.
Did you get it?

Yes i did! I was there till very late so I didn't have time to post. My wife and here sister arrived and right after i bought it they told me its ugly and they didnt like it lol. So anyways, the model i purchased.

SV (middle version) in red. This cost me $250/ month with no money down for a 2 year lease. The additional items on it that i have are the fog lights, led lights, and the additional 440v charger(which i will probably never be able to use.).

It's a very cool car I really like it. I think im going to ahve someone come tint the windows(nothing drastic) today while I'm at work.

I tried hooking up my carwings but the vin number didnt seem to be registered.

I now need to figure out what type of charger to purchase and how to get it installed. I guess i am going from a 110v trickle and i need to get it modified to the 220 and then i will need an electrician to come in and install this?

I'm assuming the modification will be about 350 or 400 and the electrician fee will be 200 or so? This is just an educated guess of cost and what is next so please correct me.

Thanks everyone.

brett701 said:
RegGuheert said:
brett701 said:
I was going to sign the paper work for a nissan leaf this evening.
Did you get it?

Yes i did! I was there till very late so I didn't have time to post. My wife and here sister arrived and right after i bought it they told me its ugly and they didnt like it lol. So anyways, the model i purchased.

SV (middle version) in red. This cost me $250/ month with no money down for a 2 year lease. The additional items on it that i have are the fog lights, led lights, and the additional 440v charger(which i will probably never be able to use.).

It's a very cool car I really like it. I think im going to ahve someone come tint the windows(nothing drastic) today while I'm at work.

I now need to figure out what type of charger to purchase and how to get it installed. I guess i am going from a 110v trickle and i need to get it modified to the 220 and then i will need an electrician to come in and install this?

I'm assuming the modification will be about 350 or 400 and the electrician fee will be 200 or so? This is just an educated guess of cost and what is next so please correct me.

Thanks everyone.

Does everyone like their leaf?
I've heard they are discontinuing the leaf after this year.
ahh, No...nope...

The LEAF is NOT being discontinued. Nissan just this year opened a new plant in Tennessee to produce them.

I am willing to bet that another model will be the primary product produced there in less than 2 years. The LEAF will remain but there will be several other EVs produced there as well

I heard that they were going to go to an electric/gas version bc/ they are losing to the competition. I don't know exactly where i heard this. I will let you know when i find out.

Holy Crap!! enough of the April Fool's jokes!

ok, guess I am too late to give you advice but you already did what I would have advised anyway. a 2 year lease is all i would recommend until we see the track record of how well they put up with the heat. You live in an area of EXTREMES. 100º days for weeks at a time along with sub freezing in the Winter. I know a guy near you and I have to say, your area I consider one of the worst for weather in the entire country. u get it all; blizzards, tornadoes, floods, heat waves, etc...

Either way, leasing is the ONLY thing i would recommend simply because in 2 years when you go to turn in that LEAF, Nissan will be begging you to stay with them and will have plenty to sweeten the pot with because instead of having 2-3 cars to consider, there will be a dozen options competing for your business.

brett701 said:

Thanks everyone.
Congratulations! You'll love it a lot (red/best color!) and its unique looks will grow on your wife until she defends it fiercely as if it's her "most beautiful" baby! :lol: IIRC, my dealer's LEAF "expert" had to get my Carwings account registered (with lots of hands-on computer assistance from me), but that was last June and you may be able to go through the owner's portal and do it, not sure/sorry. :oops:
Enjoy the silent ride and the EV smile. :D Don't gigle too hard as you pass gas stations, waving! :lol:

Let's see if they still feel that way after driving it. I have a feeling it will suddenly become much more attractive to the eye. :)

Like others, I bought my Aerovironment EVSE on eBay and had my local electrician install it. I hope not to many other new Leaf buyers are getting turned off by the "concierge" installation procedure, which typically produces a $2000 installation figure. Details at http://evadc.org/2012/08/30/video-installing-an-ev-charging-station-in-a-home-garage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have a nice payment. I'm leasing my 2012 SL for $420/mo. 16k miles to go.....

You should compute your cost per mile. The '98 Saturn I replaced was 12 cents/mile. The Leaf is 3 cents/mile. It wouldn't hurt to casually mention that to your wife, either. ;)

Ok . So i know how my leaf. I have not been over 76 charge yet. I was thinking that i would put together a new user guide that simplifies the process and helps everyone to find the cheapest/best options. As a new Nissan Leaf owner there is a lot of stuff in every direction. This site has TONS of information and is fantastic. I would like to take this information that i learn from users and reading the forum and create a simple user guide.
----------------------
-Basic owner info (what ECO mode is/ how to set up vin wings/etc...)
-Maximizing gas mileage(

-Purchasing the charger options and getting 240v installed in your home with the various connectors required.

-----------------------

Those are questions i have and I'm sure many other users have these questions as well. I know that this is answered throughout the forums many times,but i would like to have a quick guide. Does anyone know if one of these has been made because i don't really have the answer to any of those questions and the most critical one to me is how to get a quicker charger and get 240v into my house and the specific models of chargers recommended to change to and what connectors needed and what not.

Thanks again

brett701 said:
I know that this is answered throughout the forums many times,but i would like to have a quick guide. Does anyone know if one of these has been made because i don't really have the answer to any of those questions and the most critical one to me is how to get a quicker charger and get 240v into my house and the specific models of chargers recommended to change to and what connectors needed and what not.
Thanks again
Nissan LEAF Wiki is your friend. Link at the top of this page. :)

For a wall mount EVSE, I like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/AeroVironment-Plug-In-Residential-Charger-EVSE-RS/dp/B00AHG8XVA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want a portable unit then check out this site.
http://www.evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back