Punishment for my sins

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Going to update my experiment thread in a few minutes, but I wanted you to see this.....clearly punishment for the sin of driving some distance at 70mph yesterday - 90 miles range @ 100% charged:

90_miles.jpg

mwalsh said:
Going to update my experiment thread in a few minutes, but I wanted you to see this.....clearly punishment for the sin of driving some distance at 70mph yesterday - 90 miles range @ 100% charged:

90_miles.jpg

Uh...Mike? That's the MAX I've seen at 100% charge is 90 miles (not counting ECO). Virtually all of my trips have been mostly highway at 60mph range, though. ;)

I'd LOVE to see a standard D distance of 95+ at 100% charge!! ;)

Ouch, that does hurt. I set mine for a 80% charge overnight and it was 83% actual this morning showing a regular range of 90 miles and it gave me 101 miles range in ECO. After 7 miles of 45-48 mph driving to work with 3 stop lights I was still showing 92 miles range in ECO when I arrived. Carwings still shows 83% state of charge (don't know why that is, actually) with a normal range of 82 miles (the miles dropped accordingly). This car is better than I was expecting and all this data we are gathering from owners truly proves the statement of your results may vary.

Skywagon said:
Carwings still shows 83% state of charge (don't know why that is, actually)

Ah, I know the answer to that question....because each bar on that graph (and in the car too for that matter) represents ~8% of charge. You could actually be closer to a 75% SOC.

See if you can spot the car dropping down to the next bar. If it's fairly soon then you were closer to 75%. If it's a while then you were closer to 83%. :)

mwalsh said:
Skywagon said:

Ah, I know the answer to that question....because each bar on that graph (and in the car too for that matter) represents ~8% of charge. You could actually be closer to a 75% SOC.

See if you can spot the car dropping down to the next bar. If it's fairly soon then you were closer to 75%. If it's a while then you were closer to 83%. :)

Ok, that makes sense then! Thanks for answering that one! Another reason I like internet forums; we can all learn from each other.

I also learned another thing about turning the start-up sound off. I have to set a different sound first (option 2 or 3) then select option 4 for off to get it to stay off after reboot.

mwalsh said:
And I earned redemption......95 miles of range as a reward for driving in ECO all day yesterday. :D
When you get time, can you blog-post a bit more detail about that drive? What speed did you set your cruise control at? What was your SoC at the beginiing, at work, and when you came back? Did you start at 100% or 80% charge?

After your experiences with 80% and no ECO, I'm curious to see what a repeat peformance in ECO mode would yield. I know you don't care for ECO, but in the interest of all of us who are drooling...please? :mrgreen:

ahagge said:
After your experiences with 80% and no ECO, I'm curious to see what a repeat peformance in ECO mode would yield. I know you don't care for ECO, but in the interest of all of us who are drooling...please? :mrgreen:

You really do appear to only get the 10% increase widely advertised. I've just discussed the rest of my ECO drive from yesterday here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2333&start=10

mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:
A new high on 'available miles' for me. :mrgreen:

So share.....how was your driving different yesterday, to earn yourself such a gracious reward? :mrgreen:

I didn't do anything really different yesterday driving wise. I DID charge differently last night: I set the charge timer with an end time only and not a start time. I seemed to get the extra 'bump' in charging after the initial EVSE cutoff. I think that may have helped. (see my pic in the "start charge timer by END time thread).

I seemed to have about 5 miles extra in my 'tank' when I got to work today....we'll see what it looks like when I get home. ;)

Is it possible that it is calculating range based on recent driving experience? If that were the case, the miles of range mean nothing-- if you hypermile you will get more, but you DIDN'T hypermile last time, so it reflects YOUR likely range based on recent experience. That would be a very good program if it did that and less people would risk running out of power.

SteveInSeattle said:
Is it possible that it is calculating range based on recent driving experience? If that were the case, the miles of range mean nothing-- if you hypermile you will get more, but you DIDN'T hypermile last time, so it reflects YOUR likely range based on recent experience. That would be a very good program if it did that and less people would risk running out of power.

Oh, for sure. I don't like it that way though. Especially when miles are taken away! :lol:

SteveInSeattle said:

I would agree. Whether it shows 90 miles or 100 in the morning, I seem to get about the same useable miles out of it....MAYBE 3-4 more, but not 10!

mwalsh said:
Skywagon said:

Wait, what?

You mean the percent state of charge reading in Carwings is really just as granular as the bars? Now I understand what all the commotion has been about in some of the other topics.

Yes, the LEAF and CARWINGS appear to only SHOW "granular" SOC, but internally, the LEAF must use a "continuous" SOC ESTIMATE, AND your "recent" driving history, to calculate the fluctuating Miles-Remaining.

garygid said:
Yes, the LEAF and CARWINGS appear to only SHOW "granular" SOC, but internally, the LEAF must use a "continuous" SOC ESTIMATE, AND your "recent" driving history, to calculate the fluctuating Miles-Remaining.
Trying not to take this too off topic but I am assuming the only percent values we will see in Carwings are 100%, 92%, 83%, 75%, 67%, 58%, 50%, 42%, 33%, 25%, 17%, 8% and 0%. Might be off by 1% depending on the rounding. Well I hope I never actually see 0%. That would be cutting it a little too close for my blood.

I saw 0% last night after driving from Denver to Winter Park, CO. Over Berthoud pass at 11,300 ft. I was down to one bar and 3 miles at the top. I coasted/regen into town and got into Fraser with 8 miles and one bar still showing (17 miles). After that easy coast into town and a re charge, I was showing 124 miles avail this morning. I normally commute to work and back at about 81 mph for the 15 miles closest to my house (its a 26 mile drive) and I don't think I have seen over a 90 mile estimate from the car until this morning. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the actual state of charge. Now Carwings has the electric draw at 19.1 kWh. My question is... Does this mean that even though my last bar disappeared when I made one last Pizza run, did I still have 5 more kWh available in the pack or is that unusable reserve? Or ??? The car wasn't slowing down yet and hadn't gone to --- on the mileage guesser so.... Point is, this is a drive I would like to make on a regular basis at a higher speed than I mustered yesterday (traffic, not trying to nurse it, I didn't buy this car with Green Weenie in mind) and I think I may need a couple of extra kWh... Ouch...

Isn't it about time we stop using the guess-o-meter miles in any theories and calculations?

For me, it's only good for indicating whether my most recent charging event was to 100% or not. It I charged to 100%, the guess-o-meter miles would show 80+; 60-70's would mean I did 80% charging. Beyond that, it's as useless to me as tits on a warthog.

Back