"PS" error, can't start vehicle - has happened twice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynamos2000

First off, besides these two hiccups in under 2000 miles, I'm extremely happy with this leased Leaf.

Two times this has happened..weather was around 20 the first time and around 35 the second.

I start the vehicle and PS is on the screen and I can't select Drive or Reverse. The remedy is to stop and restart the vehicle a few times.

I'm waiting for time number 3 then I'll visit the dealership.

Assuming that is is Ready To Drive (green car symbol lit) it's sensing that something is wrong with the power steering... It should have stored a code when it happened so I'd bring it in now.

dynamos2000 said:
First off, besides these two hiccups in under 2000 miles, I'm extremely happy with this leased Leaf.

Two times this has happened..weather was around 20 the first time and around 35 the second.

I start the vehicle and PS is on the screen and I can't select Drive or Reverse. The remedy is to stop and restart the vehicle a few times.

I'm waiting for time number 3 then I'll visit the dealership.

Is the "Ready to Drive Indicator Light" illuminated (image of a lime green LEAF)?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZqQLmSFDic[/youtube]

If you start your car while it's plugged in, then unplug and hop back into the car, it may appear that it's started, but not really. In this case, the car won't be ready to drive until you push the brake pedal and push the power button again. It will make a single "ding" noise, and then you'll see the green "Ready to Drive Indicator Light".

Video below once it uploads: (forgive the messy interior, I'm a slob).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES8TJnT2je0[/youtube]

This will also happen if you press the start button twice without applying the brake. Everything will be powered up but the "ready" light (car with arrows below) will not be lit and the PS light will be lit.

If this happens again, rather than powering off and on, try just pressing start again once with the brake pressed. If it becomes ready then, then that was the problem.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Both times, the vehicle was not charging.. once was leaving to go home from work, the other was after I picked up my son from daycare. I put my foot on the break, press the button..everything starts up but the "PS" stays on the screen. No green ready to drive. I then power off and on a few times, then I'm able to select D or R. I'll swing by this week and have them take a look at it.

Back