Proud new owner of a 2012 Leaf SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantwp

Just purchased a used 2012 SL model yesterday - my first foray into EVs, and I'm looking forward to it!

Getting it home from 110 miles away was a 10-hour ordeal that I hope not to repeat (includes getting pulled over for driving too slow as I attempted to stretch out the remaining charge on a two-lane rural highway; three charging stops were required), but for the anticipated future usage (second car, 12 mile round-trip daily commute), I don't foresee range being a problem.

Here are the stats from LeafSpy Pro, in case anyone wishes to comment:
Odometer: 10,536
AHr: 60.98
SOH: 92%
Hx: 84.43%
GIDS: 253 / 90.0% (I have no idea what this means)

My early reading of info online suggests that these numbers aren't terrible, but additional context would be welcome from anyone who has the insight. Note that this car will be used in Madison, WI and kept in a garage.

grantwp said:
Just purchased a used 2012 SL model yesterday - my first foray into EVs, and I'm looking forward to it!

Getting it home from 110 miles away was a 10-hour ordeal that I hope not to repeat (includes getting pulled over for driving too slow as I attempted to stretch out the remaining charge on a two-lane rural highway; three charging stops were required), but for the anticipated future usage (second car, 12 mile round-trip daily commute), I don't foresee range being a problem.

My early reading of info online suggests that these numbers aren't terrible, but additional context would be welcome from anyone who has the insight. Note that this car will be used in Madison, WI and kept in a garage.

I did a 200+ mile drive home with my used that only had 83% SOH, I'd be jumping happy to have 92% SOH.

To give you a comparison my 2012 SL currently is

AHr: 51.35
SOH: 78%
Hx: 59.85%

Personally I don't pay attention to Odometer or GIDS when looking at the battery data as heat, heat, and time are the top 3 reasons for battery degradation on this car and I think in SOC% not GIDS (unrelated to degradation).

grantwp said:
my first foray into EVs, and I'm looking forward to it! ... second car, 12 mile round-trip daily commute
Welcome to the club. You have the right plan using it as a commuter and errand mobile. This is where sub-100 mile range EVs shine and (unless you are a long haul trucker) this where most of us do most of our driving.

grantwp said:
Just purchased a used 2012 SL model yesterday ... stats from LeafSpy Pro:
AHr: 60.98 ...
My early reading of info online suggests that these numbers aren't terrible...
That's low miles for a ~3 year old car and the batteries look like they were well treated. The batteries nominally start at 66AHr, so you still have ~92% of the capacity or EPA rated range. For comparison, my 2011 w/ 39k miles is down to 53AHr.

A GID is a unit of energy the car uses on the CAN bus. You can read more here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=7828

As I understand it, GIDs are just a unit of measure for stored energy that the pack reports to the diagnostic port. As such, they will vary according to level of charge, so you have 253 GIDs at 90% charge. That's very good for a 2012, and about the same as my 2013 Leaf.

grantwp said:

+1 welcome to MNL; we're about 2 hours from Madison in NW IL; car serves quite well as our daily work commuter (30 mile R/T) and errands on the weekends -- higher speed runs to O'Hare work as well as long as temps are reasonable but that's pretty much it and its what we bought the car for; it will be perfect and not ever over taxed for your shorter commutes

LeftieBiker said:

As I understand it, GIDs are just a unit of measure for stored energy that the pack reports to the diagnostic port. As such, they will vary according to level of charge, so you have 253 GIDs at 90% charge. That's very good for a 2012, and about the same as my 2013 Leaf.
I also have a 2012 SL and would like to learn more about how to use this forum.

Wow.. good find. 10K on a '12. It goes right along with my theory about SVs and SLs (particularly SLs). Those that bought/leased S's did so to beat gas prices and ran the hell out of them. Those that upgraded to the SVs and SLs took better care of them. Generalizing I know.

But 10K.. they barely drove it!!

I, too, have just purchased a 2012 SL, 10 days ago. I have been reading out here for a few weeks, and have learned a good deal, although I have more to learn. I was initially looking for a 2013 SV or SL, but there seem to be very few available. The 2012 SL I bought was intriguing in that it had a full 12 bars on the dash, even though the mileage was 39,000. So it seemed that the battery was in excellent shape. The carfax showed that it had been a North Carolina car, so it wasn't in the hot Florida sun it's first few years. The price was right, too, at $8,999. I had bought the OBD2 adapter and downloaded Leaf Spy lite, and I tested the car. It showed

AHr 53.96
SOH 82%
Hx 66.22

I figured, with those results, that I would lose the first bar pretty soon, and sure enough, 2 days later it dropped off. Still, it seems like a better than average 2012, no? My commute is only 24 miles round trip, so I won't be pushing the limits of the car at all. It does have QC, so I can plan a few longer trips. I am enjoying the car very much so far!

I have a question about the Leaf Spy Pro. I purchased and downloaded it, but when I try to use it, I get some sort of read error. My Leaf Spy lite still works fine. Is there something I'm missing in getting the Pro set up properly?

Is it hard finding places to charge while on the road? Not currently owning an electric car, I have never taken notice of charging stations. Now that I am considering one, I haven't had the opportunity to scout many beyond my immediate area.

goodluckcharlie said:
Is it hard finding places to charge while on the road? Not currently owning an electric car, I have never taken notice of charging stations. Now that I am considering one, I haven't had the opportunity to scout many beyond my immediate area.
Check www.Plugshare.com for charging station locations.

Back