preheating and charging time?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earther

Here's an oddball question (I searched around the forum, but this issue doesn't seem to have ever been addressed yet that I could see, though quite possible my search skills are lacking) --

my understanding is that climate preconditioning cannot be done simultaneously with charging the Leaf if it is hooked up via L1. However, suppose I'm charging the Leaf using L2 or the QC port and at the same time I remotely start preheating the car: have I now slowed down the "charging rate" by running the heater/AC? Not quite sure the correct words here (I'm something of an electrical ignoramus), but what I'm trying to ask is this: if the Leaf would gain Y battery power in X charging time without the heater/AC going, would it still gain Y power in the same X amount of time if the heater/AC *were* going or would the power gained then be less (presumably it couldn't be more else that would be the standard procedure)? And if it is less, HOW much less (a noticeable amount)?

Apologies in advance if the answer is obvious, but I can conceive of plausible explanations for either way.

-Steve

earther said:
Here's an oddball question (I searched around the forum, but this issue doesn't seem to have ever been addressed yet that I could see, though quite possible my search skills are lacking) --
my understanding is that climate preconditioning cannot be done simultaneously with charging the Leaf if it is hooked up via L1.
This is not true. Air conditioning is limited to the capacity of the electric power when the charge connector is connected. Therefore, the temperature may not reach the factory default setting if the charge connector is connected to a 120 V plug outlet and there is not sufficient time to charge the pack, or ambient temps are very high or very low.
However, suppose I'm charging the Leaf using L2 or the QC port and at the same time I remotely start preheating the car: have I now slowed down the "charging rate" by running the heater/AC? Not quite sure the correct words here (I'm something of an electrical ignoramus), but what I'm trying to ask is this: if the Leaf would gain Y battery power in X charging time without the heater/AC going, would it still gain Y power in the same X amount of time if the heater/AC *were* going or would the power gained then be less (presumably it couldn't be more else that would be the standard procedure)? And if it is less, HOW much less (a noticeable amount)?
This depends on the state of charge of the battery, the ambient temp, whether you start it remotely or use the climate control timer, and whether you give charging or climate control priority. There is only a fixed amount of energy available to the Leaf while it is plugged in and charging, limited by the 3.3kW capacity of the charger in the car. Some can be used for charging and some for climate control. The amount for each is not fixed or specified exactly by Nissan, and depends on which function you give priority to. Read p. 2-12 and p. 2-13 of the Navigation System Owner's Manual:

While the battery is being charged, the A/CHeater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) cannot be operated until the Li-ion battery available charge gauge reached the full mark. When the battery is not being charged, the A/CHeater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) can be operated, even if the Li-ion battery available charge gauge has not reached the full mark.

When the climate control is set on first priority, the A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl.Timer) works regardless of the remaining battery energy.

If the A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) starts its operation while the vehicle is being charged, the charging time will be prolonged.

Operating the A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) or remote climate control in an environment with low temperature may decrease the rate of battery charge.

The A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) settings cannot be modified while it is operating. If timer settings are modified while the A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) is operating, these changes will be reflected the next time the A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) operates.

When charging is set as the first priority, the A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) does not start until 10 segments of the LI-ION BATTERY AVAILABLE CHARGE GAUGE are illuminated.

When the climate control is set as the first priority, the climate control system will be turned on as scheduled by the A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) regardless of the remaining battery energy.

Even when the climate control is set as the first priority, the climate control system will be turned off when the climate control spends more electric than the charging Liion battery.

The Li-ion battery may not charge or may even become discharged if the A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) or remote climate control is used in low ambient temperatures.

The A/C-Heater Timer (Climate Ctrl. Timer) operates the climate control function so that a comfortable temperature is provided in the passenger compartment at the scheduled time of departure. The climate control is set to stop at the scheduled time of departure. The temperature in the passenger compartment may not be comfortable if entering the vehicle too soon before or too long after the scheduled time of departure.

HTH,
TT

I remember reading in the user guide that you can set your preferences to prioritize either the Climate Control or the Charging. In other words, if the Climate Control timer kicks on while the car is charging, do you want the Climate Control to take priority, so the charging would stop (or be slowed down?)...or do you want the charging to get all the juice, meaning the Climate Control would take a back seat.

I went the first couple of weeks with the 120V charger and turned on the heat about 1/2 hour before I wanted to start driving. Even with the battery at the designated 80%, the car was only just warm inside. Then I got the 220V EVSEupgrade 16 amp unit. Now the car is toasty inside. I think the factory default for preheat must be 75 degrees, and it gets there in short order. I don't need 30 minutes any more. Just one more reason to get a 220V feed to the car.

brent said:
I went the first couple of weeks with the 120V charger and turned on the heat about 1/2 hour before I wanted to start driving. Even with the battery at the designated 80%, the car was only just warm inside. Then I got the 220V EVSEupgrade 16 amp unit. Now the car is toasty inside. I think the factory default for preheat must be 75 degrees, and it gets there in short order. I don't need 30 minutes any more. Just one more reason to get a 220V feed to the car.

even with temps in the 20's i found that 8 minutes was PLENTY of time. the car starts out at low fan speed and increases up to 1-2 notches below high. it takes only 5-6 minutes to get to that point. after that happens, it warms up fast.

but then again, it might only seem that way due to me sitting in a car that is below freezing. but i only really want it to take the chill off, not boost global warming

Back