Power Steering Failure

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I’m more confused at this point. I’ve been working non stop so I haven’t had time to properly deal with it. I’m just gonna ride it out til I can go have the leaf technician look at it. I’m sure I’ll pay a lot, but I’m just ready to have power steering again. Thanks to everyone on here who has contributed.

like2bike said:
I wouldn't have suspected the 12V battery. The battery would have to have a shorted cell or something like that and then the car wouldn't even go into drive mode.

Not necessarily the main suspect but since it's something that can be easily checked, why not rule it out. It's part of the diagnostics workflow in the service manual. Like anything with electric controls and feedback, it can have problems if the 12V system is suffering.

Do you think the car could be further damaged by driving without power steering? I’m gonna inflate the tires to see if that helps in the meantime

JesseLeeMcClary said:
Do you think the car could be further damaged by driving without power steering? I’m gonna inflate the tires to see if that helps in the meantime

I'm not all that familiar with electric power steering. My guess would be that it won't in the short term.

My only experience with electric steering failure was with my RX-8. After 2 fruitless trips to the dealer, I discovered the problem was in one of the wiring harness connectors. So that's one avenue to explore if you've got the time and inclination.

Well I just got word from the dealership that the entire steering column needs replaced to the tune of 2500 dollars. Im throwing in the towel. RIP my 2013 Nissan Leaf. Im either trading it in for something else or using it as a paperweight. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Dealerships have a habit of throwing expensive replacements at minor problems. Ask them exactly what failed. If they sound at all unsure a second opinion is in order. Otherwise I'm sorry for your loss.

This thread looks dead but I'll put my advice for life up here anyway:

DON'T LET DEALERS DO WORK ON YOUR VEHICLE UNLESS IT'S UNDER WARRANTY!

I hate using all caps but in this case its important for your financial health. Find a friendly, knowleadgable back street guy/gal who looks beyond the 'the computer says this whole thing is busted' and looks for the little thing which is actually causing the issue. If they can't find that they can usually find a 2nd hand part for a fraction of the price of new.

In this case as you have pointed out there's almost no reports of others having power steering failure. So put a used part in and probably pay 1/10th the dealer cost. I hope this advice isn't too late. Good luck.

One of the problems I have noticed with the Nissan Leaf in older stage is that it's hard to find anyone besides the dealer that CAN work on the car. They have to know about disconnecting the main power so as not to get shocked. Then there's the fact that just getting to the part depending on what it is make take hours and that runs up the cost. So the part might be $100 but to replace it (labor) it's gonna cost $1000.

Back