Potentionally suicidal route planned for 7/4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctom987

Going out to Stockton tomorrow morning. It's 73mi from my house, and it's all freeway. Well over 1000' vertical climb, as well. Damn you Altamont Pass!

In any case, I've been averaging ~100mi range, so it's theoretically possible. I know uphill sucks down the battery like mad, but there's also several miles of downhill.

I'm planning to start out around 7am from Milpitas, CA.

Worst case scenario, there are a few L2's along the route, but no L3's >15mi from my starting point. I'll also be bringing my EVSE, as at the very least I'd need to trickle up in Stockton.

I'm hoping not, because there's only 1 L2 30-90% of the route… :/

I can get to Livermore no problem, and there's an L3 DCFC there as well. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be under 75% by then, making the DCFC pretty useless.

mctom987 said:
Going out to Stockton tomorrow morning. It's 73mi from my house, and it's all freeway. Well over 1000' vertical climb, as well. Damn you Altamont Pass!
While you do have to climb 1000', the net elevation gain is negligible, so I don't think elevation will be an issue here.

Drive 60 mph and you should make it pretty easy on a new LEAF.

Only variable will be wind as it's potentially very windy going over the Altamont Pass, so keep that in mind. Will probably be worse coming back.

If you're worried about it, a 15 min stop in Livermore in either direction (though you have to detour a bit to get to the QC stations) should eliminate any range anxiety. On the way out should things get tight Tracy looks like it has a couple stations that you could use.

drees said:
If you're worried about it, a 15 min stop in Livermore in either direction (though you have to detour a bit to get to the QC stations) should eliminate any range anxiety. On the way out should things get tight Tracy looks like it has a couple stations that you could use.
I was planning to stop at the Nissan in Tracy for 15-20min boost on the L2.

drees said:
While you do have to climb 1000', the net elevation gain is negligible, so I don't think elevation will be an issue here.
No, it's actually going to be a huge issue. Mostly because of regen efficiency, but also braking.
Another factor on climbing is the heat output. It's not just more energy invested, but running 40kW through the motor adds a lot of heat. For 25' hills, not an issue because you can either coast up with no increase in power, or just "bump" it up with a bit more power. After about 5-10kW, more power makes the motor less efficient because of the heat from vdrop and other factors. Running 40kw for 20 min is enough to deplete the entire battery pack.

On the downhill, I'm hoping to keep the regen in the 15-20kW range to avoid the same heating issue. If there's any traffic, it could cause huge issues because I would have to brake (30kW regen on a downhill doesn't slow the car) and waste huge amounts of that energy I spent climbing.

Altamont Pass isn't a small hill. There's roughly 1800' (guessing, all the profilers are for bikes, and didn't work well for I-580) climb from here to Stockton. The summit is at ~1000', but there are ups and downs throughout.

Wind could also be an issue, as Altamont Pass regularly has gusts 40MPH+

The conservative rule of thumb is add 7 mi for every 1000 feet climb, subtract 3 miles for every 1000 feet fall. Easy way to predict hills effect on range.

I initially misread the title as "potentially suicidal note planned for 7/4" and was wondering if someone should call the authorities... :lol:

mctom987 said:
I'm hoping not, because there's only 1 L2 30-90% of the route… :/

I can get to Livermore no problem, and there's an L3 DCFC there as well. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be under 75% by then, making the DCFC pretty useless.

If the battery is warm you can still get 10kw in at 80%. Yes, it is not a QC but is more than L2. I once charged to 100% on QC and watched the power, I put the video on youtube ... somewhere. If I remember correctly, my conclusion was that for a 3.3kw car charger the QC was better up to like 93%.

Thinking about it a bit more.... freeway speeds are a big problem over 60, and 70 MPH will give you much less range than 60. I drove from Palo Alto to Truckee last year. If traffic is heavy you will be limiting your freeway speed and getting more range. Try to drive 45 up Altamont pass and you should be good to go.

I also made several trips from Palo Alto to Santa Cruz over highway 17. 88 miles round trip and I made it without charging (barely). Drove carefully, Max 60 on freeway, Max 45 up hills.

mctom987 said:
Altamont Pass isn't a small hill. There's roughly 1800' (guessing, all the profilers are for bikes, and didn't work well for I-580) climb from here to Stockton. The summit is at ~1000', but there are ups and downs throughout.

Plot a course using Google Maps, then paste the resultant URL into GPSvisualizer.com.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeekEV said:
I initially misread the title as "potentially suicidal note planned for 7/4" and was wondering if someone should call the authorities... :lol:
:twisted:

stjohnh said:
The conservative rule of thumb is add 7 mi for every 1000 feet climb, subtract 3 miles for every 1000 feet fall. Easy way to predict hills effect on range.
Good to know. My limited experience with hills is somewhere around there. In ~2 miles, I burned through 20mi of range, and got like 5mi back on the descent. Would have been more, but I got every red light going down -_-. There aren't any traffic stop lights on the freeway, but slow traffic could put me in a similar position.

stjohnh said:
Thinking about it a bit more.... freeway speeds are a big problem over 60, and 70 MPH will give you much less range than 60. I drove from Palo Alto to Truckee last year. If traffic is heavy you will be limiting your freeway speed and getting more range. Try to drive 45 up Altamont pass and you should be good to go.

I also made several trips from Palo Alto to Santa Cruz over highway 17. 88 miles round trip and I made it without charging (barely). Drove carefully, Max 60 on freeway, Max 45 up hills.

I was planning something like that. I generally try to drive 55 on the freeway, but during carpool hours I drive around 65 to avoid being the asshole in the fastlane.

On the ascent, traffic usually goes 30-40, so I don't thinking keeping it under 45 should be a problem.

Nubo said:
mctom987 said:

Plot a course using Google Maps, then paste the resultant URL into GPSvisualizer.com.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome! I was looking for something that does exactly that. Thanks.

20140703140208-80067-profile.png

drees said:
Did you make it? Should be there by now. :)
I made it just fine. Made it back, too.

The route there was nice and cool, so no CC was needed. 72.8mi, and made it with 31mi left on GOM.

The route back was not so cool, had the AC on the entire time. Outside temp averaged 90º. I stopped at Tracy Nissan at the L2 for about 15 minutes while we at some Sonic goodness. The salesmen asked if my Leaf was the 2015 model and green was a new option. GOM said 21mi at my driveway.

I also heard that Nissan is evaluating Tracy Nissan as a future DCFC location. This would be awesome for me and my girlfriend, as it's roughly halfway. Eliminates the range anxiety with her leadfoot, so she should be able to make it just fine without having to worry too much about efficient techniques.

DaveInAvl said:
When do we send out the St. Bernard with the little keg of brandy? :D
You can send both to my house. I'll drink the brandy, my girlfriend would love the dog ;)

mctom987 said:
drees said:
Did you make it? Should be there by now. :)
I made it just fine. Made it back, too.

The route there was nice and cool, so no CC was needed. 72.8mi, and made it with 31mi left on GOM.

The route back was not so cool, had the AC on the entire time. Outside temp averaged 90º. I stopped at Tracy Nissan at the L2 for about 15 minutes while we at some Sonic goodness. The salesmen asked if my Leaf was the 2015 model and green was a new option. GOM said 21mi at my driveway.

I also heard that Nissan is evaluating Tracy Nissan as a future DCFC location. This would be awesome for me and my girlfriend, as it's roughly halfway. Eliminates the range anxiety with her leadfoot, so she should be able to make it just fine without having to worry too much about efficient techniques.
Just for future reference, if you want to save a little climbing and not have to be worried that a truck is about to climb up your tail on 580 over the pass, you can exit 580 at either Vasco or Greenville road and take Altamont Pass Road instead of 580. It's a nice drive that takes you closer to wind turbines, and at least when it's green is quite pretty; it's also the original route of the Lincoln Highway (see https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Driving 45 mph or slower is no problem at all. In fact, you can take side roads all the way to Stockton from that point, if you wish.

Check out the Route Energy Planner at http://evtripplanner.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as well. It's pretty cool!
EVTripPlanner uses a physics-based model to predict how much energy your EV will use along your route. It accounts for:

Speed: this is usually the biggest contributor to variation in energy usage. We use Google Map's traffic-based estimate of current speed, which you can adjust up or down with the 'Speed Factor'.
Air density: this varies with temperature and altitude. The same level-road trip at a higher altitude takes less energy than at sea level since the air is thinner. Similarly, the same trip (without air conditioning or heating) takes less energy when it is hotter since the air is thinner. We determine altitude over the route using the Mapquest database and use your input for temperature.
HVAC: the heater and air conditioner, as well as any energy required to heat or cool the battery pack, use energy...even when you're not moving. We look at your cabin temperture setting and your estimate of the outside temperature.
On-board Systems: the computers and other on-board systems use energy, even when the car isn't moving.
Weight & Elevation Changes: the weight of the car and payload (entered) are used along with elevation changes along the route to determine energy used climbing...and recovered during downhills.
Friction, efficiency, regeneration: each EV converts electrical energy in the battery to mechanical energy at the wheels a little differently (and vice-versa). We account for these conversions and differences.
Your Car Model: each car has different parameters for how they use energy in the categories above. EVTripPlanner takes the best data available to match our model to the actual measurements and published charts.

- See more at: http://evtripplanner.com/planner/2-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back