Post Your Battery Degradation Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe this is a Lizard battery, as this was manufactured in Jan 2013.

Also this car was parked in the sun during day and in the hot closed garage during night. And I know many times it was charged to 100% and sitting for many hours before being driven. His GOM still says 100+ (not that it means anything).

During the same time period my earlier 2011 SV was at around 235 GIDs.

mkjayakumar said:
I didn't mean to imply that it was a Lizard battery, just expecting a Lizard battery to be that much better than the 2013 battery, which sounds pretty good in its own right. :D

Stoaty said:
mkjayakumar said:
I didn't mean to imply that it was a Lizard battery, just expecting a Lizard battery to be that much better than the 2013 battery, which sounds pretty good in its own right. :D

NOW I get the original "lizard" comment! If a>b and b>c, then a>c; we don't know what/where the 2015 (lizard) 'tweaks' are with respect to the 2013 'tweaks', but if these numbers are representative than we could be in for a treat. Bottom line: we need some MNL data on a 2015 (lizard) battery.

Stanton said:
NOW I get the original "lizard" comment! If a>b and b>c, then a>c; we don't know what/where the 2015 (lizard) 'tweaks' are with respect to the 2013 'tweaks', but if these numbers are representative than we could be in for a treat.
Exactly!

Stoaty said:
mkjayakumar said:
A friend of mine has 2013 'S' manufacture date Jan 2013, and here are the stats after 19 months, 21K miles and two Dallas summers.

This reading below was taken after driving 2 miles after a full charge. So I guess you can add another at least 4 Gids to this - 265 Gids on a 100% charge or 6.5% degradation.

2013 Jan, Leaf 'S'
20,500+ miles
19 months & 2 summers
Full charge: 265 Gids
Ahr: 60.97
That is impressive! I may have to get one of them newfangled Lizard batteries in the future.

A 2013 Leaf delivered in 01/2013 with a 'Lizard' battery?

A co-worker (who is not on this forum) has a 2013 purchased in January 2013, and he just lost his first bar at about 20,000 miles today. He lives in the San Fernando Valley...

As one of the originals (VIN #000659) - we lost our 1st bar after 41K miles. Makes me wonder who has driven the farthest so far with no bars lost. I've thought of seeing if I can still get over 100 miles of range, but with less range now, it just bums me out to think of even trying.
:?

hill said:
...Makes me wonder who has driven the farthest so far with no bars lost...
Not quite what you're asking, but I presume that the record was TaylorSFGuy, who lost his first bar at 78,600 miles, 25 months, in WA. He seems to have gotten his money's worth out of his first LEAF!

Anyone go farther than that without losing the first bar?

Source: LEAF wiki

A related question would be "who has the oldest LEAF that hasn't lost a bar yet?"

TomT said:
A co-worker (who is not on this forum) has a 2013 purchased in January 2013, and he just lost his first bar at about 20,000 miles today. He lives in the San Fernando Valley...

That's what I expect my Leaf (delivery 12/2013, production ~ 9/2013) to do, i.e. 1st bar loss @ ~ 20K miles:

New - 60 Ahrs, 1st bar dropped @ 54 Ahrs while driving
11K miles - 57 Ahrs, 1st bar drops @ 54 Ahrs while driving

Stoaty said:
mkjayakumar said:

More speculation!!!!

2013 SL: Manufactured 3/13 Purchased 3/13

As of 8/29/14:

20,122 miles
Ahr: 65.340
SOH: 99%
Hx 99.93
GIDS: 283

Although I live outside of Boston, I am a bit shocked by the lack of degradation.

That is very very impressive. Not a GID lost over 20k+ miles. All that with not even passive thermal management.

Even Tesla folks would be impressed by that.

mkjayakumar said:
That is very very impressive. Not a GID lost over 20k+ miles.
I'd like to see an energy from the wall test to confirm those numbers. '13+ GID/Ah numbers seems to be all over the place out of the factory, so I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Both of our 2013 Leafs (my S, 14k mi and my wife's SV, 12k miles) were made in May 2013. Both started w capacity about 60AHr, both slightly better capacity now than when new. I haven't done a recent range test, but track miles carefully (I frequently run the car down near turtle, zero fuel bars left) and my LeafSpy SOC formula for predicting range still is accurate, so I believe both our cars have at most 10% degradation, and more likely near 0%. Both have had spells of capacity readings as high as 64 and as low as 58.

The 2013s seem to have several different sets of programming reporting information to LeafSpy, making generalizations quite difficult. I read these boards regularly, and it does appear that the 2013s have much less degradation than the 2011 and 2012 MYs.

We live on the peninsula, so while our temps are a little higher than PNW, hot hot days are rare. In the 2 summers, the battery temp is almost always 5 bars. Maybe 10-20 days a year 6 bars, I have only seen 7 bars once on my S, and only for about 6 hours. My wife has had a couple of episodes of 7 bars, but only after QC on a road trip near much hotter Sacramento.

"Both of our 2013 Leafs (my S, 14k mi and my wife's SV, 12k miles) were made in May 2013. Both started w capacity about 60AHr, both slightly better capacity now than when new."

Interesting!

Back