Possible to swap E-NV200 transaxle into Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattSER

So I've recently become aware of the E-NV200 that is sold in Europe and Australia. Looks like it shares a majority of drivetrain parts with the Leaf and it has a gear ratio of 9.3010.

I'm very interested in the possibility of swapping the env200 transaxle into my 2020 Leaf S+ for improved acceleration. It would be 13.5% shorter gear ratio than the stock 8.193 gearbox.

I've already conducted a sort of test by temporarily fitting 205/40r16 tires, which shortened the drive ratio by 10.8%. It worked like a charm, exactly as I was hoping. Speedometer was off by about 10%(exactly as expected), max speed was about 90mph, but acceleration was significantly improved and the car was much more fun!

So does anybody know the feasibility of swapping the Env200 gearbox into my Leaf? It honestly seems like a straightforward swap, if I can get my hands on one. Any potential issues that I'm not considering?

LeftieBiker said:
Welcome. Not to sound too discouraging, but...why not just go with smaller wheels?

I tried figuring that out, but it's not really viable. The 40r16 that I had on there were not good as a permanent solution. The ride was too rough and they did not have enough traction. Every little pothole was a landmine.

GerryAZ said:
Potential issues:
1. void warranty
2. reduced efficiency (reduced actual range)
3. possible difference in physical size of gear case (to accommodate existing van chassis)

Hi Gerry, thanks. I'm not too worried about #1 or #2, but #3 is what I'm really wondering. If the swap is actually possible, I'd volunteer to be the guinea pig!

Given that electric motors offer full torque at zero speed, I am surprised that gear ratio or tire size would make a significant difference in acceleration. 2013 and newer LEAF's require careful feathering of the accelerator pedal to achieve best acceleration. Flooring the accelerator results in moderate acceleration (programming probably intended to minimize excessive torque on drivetrain components). If you are flooring the accelerator in your tests, it is possible that the smaller tires change the response of the control modules and give better acceleration that you might not see with an actual gear ratio change.

GerryAZ said:
Given that electric motors offer full torque at zero speed, I am surprised that gear ratio or tire size would make a significant difference in acceleration. 2013 and newer LEAF's require careful feathering of the accelerator pedal to achieve best acceleration. Flooring the accelerator results in moderate acceleration (programming probably intended to minimize excessive torque on drivetrain components). If you are flooring the accelerator in your tests, it is possible that the smaller tires change the response of the control modules and give better acceleration that you might not see with an actual gear ratio change.

I tested acceleration repeatedly with a Dragy. Average 0-60 improved from about 6.6 to 6.4 and average 30-50 times improved from about 2.25 to 2.00.

I would say that if I could race myself with both versions of the car, the one with smaller wheels would be ahead by about 1.5 car lengths at 60mph.

Really just trying to figure out if the transaxle swap is possible.

That seems like a lot of money and effort for that much gain but I guess that comes with the territory when modding and racing.

Check with user Dala. He's done some conversions and knows quite a bit about the different available parts (and just about everything electronic) on these cars.

Yes, it would make more sense to beg Dala for a CAN-based (Slightly) Ludicrous Mode. I never would have thought that the little 108HP motor in my 2013 would be putting out 200+ HP in a few years. Maybe it can do another 50HP for 20 or 30 seconds...

goldbrick said:
That seems like a lot of money and effort for that much gain but I guess that comes with the territory when modding and racing.

Check with user Dala. He's done some conversions and knows quite a bit about the different available parts (and just about everything electronic) on these cars.

Thank you so much for the lead! I recognize Dala from his YouTube video about the inverter swap. I'll see what he has to say. Thanks!

Back