Portable Photovoltaic CHAdeMO or J1772

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeremyW said:
That being said, there is a market for a solar charge controller that is CHAdeMO compliant (galvanically isolated output and follows the protocol).

I'm inclined to agree. DC-DC would be much more efficient and I like the idea of the OpenCHAdeMO but dang them why make a standard if you're not gonna share it. You'll make more money consulting on design with an opened standard than you ever will charging $2,000+ for an NDA! I suppose though as I'm not an EE I could partner with one and we could sign the NDA and just develop a black-box CHAdeMO solar charger but it's not a marketable idea until the plug price comes down.

TimeHorse said:
plug price

This, and the fact that I can't afford a leaf right now have been two huge roadblocks for me to make any progress on OpenCHAdeMO.

When I can get my hands on a leaf, I'll be pumping out logs of qc sessions. ;)

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
TimeHorse said:
plug price

This, and the fact that I can't afford a leaf right now have been two huge roadblocks for me to make any progress on OpenCHAdeMO.

When I can get my hands on a leaf, I'll be pumping out logs of qc sessions. ;)

Jeremy

Do any of the rental car agencies near you have a Leaf?

KJD said:

Monitoring the communication requires splicing into wires running to the CHAdeMO port. I don't think rental car places would let me do that. :)

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
KJD said:

Monitoring the communication requires splicing into wires running to the CHAdeMO port. I don't think rental car places would let me do that. :)

Jeremy

Do not ask. Do not tell.

KJD said:
JeremyW said:
KJD said:

Jeremy

Do not ask. Do not tell.

That's not right. You'll just have to be patent. ;) Hoping to get an '11 when the early adopters go for the '13.

Or you could of course log it yourself using your own car and near-by qc. I'm much better at chopping up data in Microsoft Excel than purchasing cars. :?

Jeremy

Well, can't help you here in Virginia because, well, I'm in Virginia! Plus, the nearest CHAdeMO is like 1,000 mi away. :) I think there's one in Nova Scotia actually! But waiting for a trade-in sounds like a good plan and I'd be interested in the purchase as well to see what kind of trade-in numbers the 2011/2012 are gonna get since I really need faster charging, especially if I can't charge at work.

But if it's about spreadsheets: oh $&%#^&, have I got spreadsheets: every Electricity Rate from Dominion with an analysis of my current household usage per month and estimated EV numbers, 30-minute cycle data from the Power Company with actual charging numbers, a pyCARWINGS logger that's taking the CARWINGS state of my vehicle every 5 minutes not to mention all dealership spreadsheet, DOE spreadsheets for retail energy costs, gasoline price data since 1990, oh, I'm all about the data!

EVDRIVER said:
Here's an idea. How about a trailer with solar panels to charge the car. Why not add some fan generators as well and tie them to the pack directly. Or perhaps a solar kite that can be flown behind the car?

I've said this B-4, but I'll say it again: EVDRIVER makes me rotfl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back