Port Delivery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
So it sounds like the $7500 fed tax credit isn't enough? You feel that the LEAF isn't worth around $25K or you just can't afford it without the extra $5K? You Californians are so fortunate to get that extra rebate.
All correct. More accurately, the cost of a 3yr lease goes up by 30% at the end of the CA rebate, from about $15k to $20k. That's not insignificant.

As a lifetime resident and California taxpayer, I certainly don't feel fortunate. Our state is bankrupt, yet taxing us heavily in income tax, auto registration, and sales tax (9%). One of the reasons for buying the Leaf is to recoup $5k of this mess. They will take it back on April 15, in spades.

GroundLoop said:
LEAFfan said:
So it sounds like the $7500 fed tax credit isn't enough? You feel that the LEAF isn't worth around $25K or you just can't afford it without the extra $5K? You Californians are so fortunate to get that extra rebate.
All correct. More accurately, the cost of a 3yr lease goes up by 30% at the end of the CA rebate, from about $15k to $20k. That's not insignificant.

As a lifetime resident and California taxpayer, I certainly don't feel fortunate. Our state is bankrupt, yet taxing us heavily in income tax, auto registration, and sales tax (9%). One of the reasons for buying the Leaf is to recoup $5k of this mess. They will take it back on April 15, in spades.

Actually, the cost of the lease for 36 months ($1999 at signing, including first month, $349/379 per month for the next 35 months) is $14,214 ($15,263 for SL), excluding sales tax. If you were to include the rebate and applied to the lease, the cost would be $9,214 ($10,263 for SL). Without the CA rebate, the cost for the 36 month lease would go up 54% (49% for the SL).

lne937s said:
Actually, the cost of the lease for 36 months ($1999 at signing, including first month, $349/379 per month for the next 35 months) is $14,214 ($15,263 for SL), excluding sales tax. If you were to include the rebate and applied to the lease, the cost would be $9,214 ($10,263 for SL). Without the CA rebate, the cost for the 36 month lease would go up 54% (49% for the SL).

Oh my, you're quite right. I did the quick math all wrong in my hurry to get to dinner.

With the Fed+CA rebates, the lease works out to be very inexpensive, compared to any other car. When I figure in the $100/month on gasoline I'll be saving, even more so. (Any other new car I would buy would depreciate faster than the lease cost.)

The $5k CA Rebate is a big part of why it's so cheap. Again, when there is no more rebate, the lease is twice as expensive, and other cars become more attractive.

GroundLoop said:
lne937s said:

Oh my, you're quite right. I did the quick math all wrong in my hurry to get to dinner.

With the Fed+CA rebates, the lease works out to be very inexpensive, compared to any other car. When I figure in the $100/month on gasoline I'll be saving, even more so. (Any other new car I would buy would depreciate faster than the lease cost.)

The $5k CA Rebate is a big part of why it's so cheap. Again, when there is no more rebate, the lease is twice as expensive, and other cars become more attractive.

I hadn't even factored in the lease - was thinking about a straight purchase. But with all of the unknowns, the CA rebate on a lease makes it something to really think about.

garygid said:
You mean lease putting an additional $5000 "cash" into the initial payment (to lower the monthly payments), and some monthe later get the $5000 check from CCSE?

Nope. I mean putting the $5,000 in the bank and using it to make lease payments. Call it $138 a month. It's all a shell game. You can't reduce the overall cost of the lease, so it's just cash.

Guys, the CA rebate is so massive is comparison to the lease cost, I can't believe I have to explain this. No Rebate = twice the cost = no sale.

The Rebate is not as significant IF you have to pay income tax on it. Discussed at length in another thread.

However, I still consider it a significant factor for myself, but perhaps not a go/no-go factor.

mwalsh said:
I've taken port delivery of a vehicle before, and cleared it through customs myself (back in the day, when you could do such a thing). It wasn't a massively horrible experience, and the folks from Wallenius Wilhelmsen did their best to make it as good as it could be. So did the Customs agent who helped me clear the car, for that matter. But it definitely wasn't for the faint of heart, and not even close to the experience new car collection from a dealer would be. So put me down as a "no" too.

Mike

I searched "Wallenius" and this thread came up.

I was curious: When I took delivery of my Leaf, there was a piece of paper from "Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics". It says:

Missing LEAF Disclosure Form
Okay to Ship
Parts will be shipped to the Dealer.

What the heck does this all mean? The line that I am curious about is the "Parts will be shipped to the Dealer". Aren't the Leafs all fully assembled once they arrive at port?

Hahaha! Just wondering if you or anyone on the forum would know...

Cheers.

Back